Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found some rust on my Passat TDI - on a Y-plate, Jan 2001 reg.

Took it into VW dealer on Saturday, he puts a request for inspection in.

Inspected today and they rejected it.

REason given is "It's out of warranty"

Now, my understanding is that the body is covered well in excess of the 3 year terms........

However, that's only against through-rust from within.

hang on, but does someone want to explain to me how that is any kind of a warranty? Anyone would notice rust long before it went through and entire panel.........

You know where my rust is?

Under the boot handle, coming from beneath the covers over the little lights for the license plates. It's all ruond them,, bubbling away and breaking through, possible to get tiny flakes of metal from nearest the covers.

But, apparently, this is "fold or edge rust" and that's not covered as it's out of warranty. Apart from the fact that it's not sprung up over night and it's only because I'm a fussy old goat who notices little things like that.........

So, given that a report is going to VW on the car, any further advice from you wonderfully knowledgeable people? Can I expect VW to stonewall and refuse to do anything about it? [V]

(one good thing is that the inspector had to concede the rest of the car is immaculate - so deep is the wax gloss on my car, his paint depth meter was sliding all over the place......[:p])

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
the warranty is 12 years on the car, but lots of people on here are having problems with the dealer with regard to rst on the edge around the rear boot handle! Seems like they no its a problem and that it would cost them loads to sort out so they just take it off what is covered!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed another member (kjohal) isn't too far away from me withthe same problem.

Wonder if we can all work together, maybe get all the car details together, all the responses from dealers, VW, etc, then have a word with some Consumer type org - Do the BBC still run Watchdog?

Or shall we all turn up one morning and sit in a VW dealer customer car park in protest.......

No, seriously though, can we get a list together of the Cars experienceing this problem (Model, Rust location, date of registration, date reported to dealer, VW reponses? Might help in long run./

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i've read your post on www.clubb5.com

Have you got a picture of the infected area, it shouldn't be too hard to capture it [?].

I know it is time and hassle, but have you taken it to another dealer for inspection, it might be worth a second opinion.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I wish you luck mate.

My 4yr old Golf rusted on the front corners of the roof, only for the assessor to blame it on me leaving shampoo on the car!! Many arguments, phonecalls, and complaints to VW Customer Care got me nowhere.

Basically as soon as you take that car out of the showroom, they just dont care about you... that's what stinks about VW.

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Javaman - Im interested in your idea and also put a similar idea to another vw member ash fell who also had same issue - there are a number of people on this forum who have this issue with rust on the rear boot handle - the guy who inspected my car told me this was a problem on earlier model of golfs s and t reg models as the handle used was reacting with the metallic paint - my point was that vw buy these handles in the there millions and would not just throw them away and probably thought boll0c ks to it and fitted them anyway, my car is a GT TDI Feb 2001 Model - I reported this in sept and my final letter from vw customer care told me that the rust is edge rust - any ordinary person could see the rust and see it is coming from within the boot handle and so is coming from inside out - I think we really need to act upon this and yeah watchdog is still running ?? let make a plan and who else is interested

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
By the way I noticed the lacquer peeling off on my 2001 polo match 1.4 - do vw know how to paint cars or have they lost the plot.[:(!]

·
Registered
55 Posts
On my 2000 Bora it's the leading edge of the boot - I keep using rust eater and touching it up - but it keeps coming off as it rubs ever so slightly on the top of the bumper on opening & closing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
im taking my car in next week as the paint is flaking off around the edge of the n/s/f mudflap .im not holding my breath to get that fixed under warranty but if you dont ask you dont get.vw paint warranty is sh*t.they rejected my boot handle as they said it was stone chips when i pointed out i dont drive in reverse down the motor way so how can you get a stone chip that hasnt broken the surface of the paint on the boot i got a blank look and a shrug of the shoulders.that was the zone manager whats the rest like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, I'm taking pictures of the offending rust on Friday - I know it's a poor time to do it, but with a half day, at least it will be light enough to get decent definition in the image.

Khojal, if you can do the same, and anyone else on the forum who has been turned down and fobbed off by VW about rust on or around the boot on young cars if you can do the same.

I'll search around for details on how to get in touch with Watchdog, draft a letter spelling out our situation and the attitude of VW.

I'll post on here draft versions for approval by those who wish to be involved.

Let't stop being nice and waiting for VW to tell us everything is as it should be and that it's not their problem on 3-4 year old cars. Let's take the fight to them and see what they do then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, pictures are taken.

I'm going to start drafting letter tomorrow as the dealership has been no real help, and VW keep rejecting it, to the point they say they can't even generate an offical report. Which IMHO is bunkum.

Who else wants in on this action?

I'm talking to VW Customer Care on Tuesday, and very shortly after contacting Watchdog, TopGear and one other motoring trade publication (aiming for Auto Express with the situation)

I have no problem acting as a co-ordinator to publicise the deplorable state of affairs that VW are permitting and refusing to acknowledge a clear problem with the finishing of their vehicles.

If you want to be involved, I need a few things:

Year and Model of Car

Location of Rust

Date reported (approx) to Garage

Response from Garage

Details of communication with VW Customer Care.

PM Me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VW insist this is a paintwork issue.

Erm........

Lets see, VW Passat is supposedly a fully galvanised and rust protected body for at least 6 years.......

So the fact that my paint is still on the car, but the metal is rusting, is somehow NOTHING to do with the bodywork warranty?

And they stated to me on the phone that, even if I decide to write to them (although she wouldn't give me a specific member of staff's name to write to) it won't change their response.

So are VW Customers therefore expected to accept a car that starts to rust at 3 years old? More to the point, we're to accept it as perfectly normal?

I think not.

Sales of Goods 2002 Amendments make interesting reading re: reasonable expectation of good to last 6 years........

Still, apparently, if I put my complaint in writing, it won't change their response.......we'll see about that...........

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'd be interested in the outcome Javaman as I noticed a tiny spot on the roof also. (2001 Golf just out of warrenty)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know its been a hell of a long time since you posted this but I was wondering how you got on as I am having a very similar problem with my 2005 passat . They have told me that the rust is down to mechanical problem (the plastic inner wheel arch rubbing) and it has been like that since new , but because the mechanical warranty is 3 years its ran out, even though this manafacture fault has caused the rust and I still have 7 year left on the rust warranty. I think they make the excuses up as they go along

Regards Brian

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Very little has changed, Mate.

VW seem to still try every trick in the book to get out of doing work on their warranty, so expect a long, hard fight. If the panel in question has seen non factory paint, then your chances of claiming are slim, if they exist at all, sadly. [8-|]

Wigster.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I suspect that a lot of people don't chase the problem up and walk away feeling deflated. I am sure there is something elso in the sales of goods act. Plus the fact, and don't get worried, some cars have used non galvo parts from excess stock. They really do not care once you've paid your money. Its sad, but true. And in all fairness, its not just VW. Hang on in and keep on pushing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts