Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good engine (can be revo/piggyback boxed to 90 bhp from 75, and 180 lbft torque!!)

You get 75 mpg +

And it doesn't weigh as much as the new circular lamped Polo.

Bit of a forgotten model really.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by S1R SS on 24/11/2004 17:17:15

The 6n2 still looks loads better than the 9n - I've had a fair bit of experience with the 6n2 and inside they are spot on too, defo the best car in their class IMO

6n2?? 9n??

These models like the 2000-2002 then 2002+ ???

·
Registered
479 Posts
My mum has had a 2001 '51'1.4S TDI for the last 2 years. Really nice car. Goes like the clappers, and the fuel lasts for ages! I much prefer this shape to the latest one. Seems better built too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the latest shape (9n) TDi PD Sport (with the 1.9 engine). Its such a good car. I think it borrows more heavily on design from the Mk5 Golf (exterior, dashboard, console, seats etc) and hence is a bit more 'upto date'.

Spec on the newer Polos is excellent (mine has Sports Seats, Alloys, Climate, 6CD etc) - I did look at the older shape (I like the shape) but found that it would soon look dated (and lose more value ??) as newer cars tend to look more and more like the 9n.

Engine wise it is spot on (I got 61mpg over a 400 mile journey yesterday at 70-80 although with quite a lot of slower traffic jam stuff as well).

My only complaint is the hard ride on the Sport model - can get jittery around town but does make it more chuckable.

I might have to change mine for a Bora TDi soon (need the bigger boot). So if anyone wants to swap a newer (52 reg) Polo Sport for an older Bora SE (Y reg ??) send me a PM ...

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Hey Shamus you can't get copying me!! The Bora is so much better than the Polo with a huge boot to boot!

I can now get my huge tent in the boot now for all the car show next year!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi jrw ...

To be honest I love the Polo - just the right size (i'm crap at parking even after 23 years of driving ....). But I have struggled recently with Airport trips and weekends away ... the boot in the Polo is just so small.

Do you think I'd be able to downsize without cost if I am willing to go from 52 reg to Y reg or something ? From what I see, Polo values tend to hold better than Bora (being a hatchback and all that ...) ??

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Maybe I got ?8500 for mine p/x which was I had 01/03/03 with the 16" rims and pearl black with 18500 miles on the clock. Got offered ?7500 at a different garage but that was on a 2nd hand one so I dunno whether that made a difference.

They have got it on the forecourt for ?10499 the robbing ******s so if you can sell it private your well in!

·
Registered
60 Posts
What - you had a Polo before ??

Mines a VW Polo 1.9 TDi PD Sport (52 Reg) with 40k fVsh all standard extras including full Climate, 6CD etc. What do you reckon I'd get for trade in ? Its in perfect nick apart from stone chips on the bonnet ? Sounds like about ?6.5k according to your comparison ..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oops .. ?6k .... just might keep it for a while then. Can't see me getting a decent spec TDi PD Bora with 40k for ?6k ... never mind - will need to keep getting the hire cars when i've got loadsa luggage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts