Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys following on from my Wanted!!!! post on the main discussion board, I'm seriously thinking of buying some 20" wheels off a fellow member on here and I'm just wondering if there's anything I need to look out for on putting 20" wheels on a V5 Golf with standard suspension set up.Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
I'm just wondering if there's anything I need to look out for on putting 20" wheels on a V5 Golf with standard suspension set up.Thanks,

Steve
low bridges, power cables, trees

sorry mate just kidding [:D] but it will look like a 4x4 and won't look right at all. I saw a lowered mk4 on 20s a few years back (I'll try and find the pic later) and it just looked over-wheeled and probably handled very badly

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
And you're reasons are?................

[:p]
because it will drive like 60 year old tractor with a million miles on the clock... dont believe me look how many people have spent big money on 19's and then removed them the week after.. it will be awfull to drive if not undriveable

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Don't do it, sorry fellow forum member who's selling them!

Reasons:

The ride will be very harsh
Acceleration will be down due to the extra weight
MPG will be worse due to the extra weight

·
Registered
442 Posts
Now then Steve, fellow Ecclestoner!!! I live on The Green near the chippy!

Personal oppinion, dont go for the 20's, too big mate! Your 18's look good already.

If you want to spend a bit of cash and put a smile on your face, get it mapped.

Just had mine Revo'd and its like driving a different car.

I am guessing bit is yours the silver one that I see parked outside the insty?

Phil

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well well, here's to us Ecclestoners! Yeah Phil, that's me outside the Insty, been working on the outside fo the car since i got it a year ago and now with the colour coded valances and Kamei grille, I just want the wheels to go with it, the A8's are good and suit it well, but they're wya too common now and I've just foun d some R32 look a likes but gloss black with a diamond cut rim, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-TT-QUATTRO-SPORT-STYLE-18-WHEELS-VW-GOLF-4-A3_W0QQitemZ250033692615QQihZ015QQcategoryZ28648QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

So considering them, what you driving Phil? You'll have to come in for a pint, trhere seems to be a few Mk4 forum members around the Chorley Leyland Preston area! [:)]

Steve

·
Registered
442 Posts
Those rims look good, Hard to realy tell untiull you see them on but you dont see black/diamond cut R32's verry often, if ever! I would have had your RS8's off you last week if I knew you might be selling, just bought some RS4's. Yours is looking good, I've noticed you have been changing it gradually. Those halo angel eyes look good!

I'm in a 5 door GT TDI Golf, Silver with 18" RS4's (only had the wheels on a week though). The wheels are the only visible mod but I'm saving the pennies at the moment so I can get it dropped 30mm and get the shocks uprated while I'm at it. Was going to go for the Eibach pro kit and the Bilstein gas shocks. Hopefully it wont be a bone shaker when I've finished!

I dont tend to go in the insty very often. Occaisionally watch the footie in there coz of the big screen, but thats about it. I'll look for your car outside next time I'm in for a couple of jars.

Yea, seems to be a few local MKIVS lads around. My mate at work told me about this forum, he's from the Haydock area.

Phil

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[:p] Now now children, I've slept on it and I think the 20" wheels will look a bit on the overkill side, 19" will make the ride too harsh so I think I'll stick with a new set of 18's. Do't think the car will look 'gay' on them, (god, I hate speechmarks!) but yeah it'll look too much like a tractor and there's enough of the real things round where I live.

Hey Phil I'll keep an eye out for you, cheers for the comments, the angel eye's were one of the first things I got last year when they weren't too common, now everyone with a barried Corsa seem to have them! Thought about uprating the ride height but Ibelieve it is slightly firmer than on a standard GTi so I've left it so far, the A8's need a refurb and two new tyres, but if anyone wants them..........£200 and they're yours, PM me......

Still considering a Remap and a Carbonio, but the V5 isn't that tunable without serious money, ie Turbo conversion, supercharger, but it is quick as it stands so no real hurry for the engine side of things, be nice to top 200Bhp though [:)]

btw I have a couple of gay mates and they think my car is ok! {:p]

Prawny

·
Registered
442 Posts
Given a second chance I think I might have been tempted to go for a lighter wheel. Call me nieve but I didnt expect the performance and mpg to dip.... but its not like it made my car slow!!! and so I might need to fill up 20 miles sooner from a full tank now! End of the day you put stunning wheels on your car because they look good, not because they will save you a quid or two at the petrol station. My opinion is find the look you want and go for that first, then worry about choosing the lightest option that gives you that look second.

The ride height looks ok on yours Chris, no massive gaps above the arches! Mine is the worst case I think, standard TDI suspension is the same as a totally standard basic setup. I'll be ploughing the fields round Eccleston soon if I dont get it sorted!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.