Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Purchased a 2004 2.8L V6 4Motion last weekend and have a couple of queries since ive not had one before.

First is how the car is meant to drive with regards to power delivery. Currently my car is rapid up to 2.5k rpm, then seems to have a big flat spot from there up to 5k rpm then it starts to pick up again top end. Just wondered if this is normal or if somethings wrong. Booked it in for a full service including plugs so maybe this will help.

Second is, the car seems to auto lock fairly rapidly after opening with drivers door open. I dont get any beeps when lights are left on and door is open so I assume that there is an issue with a door sensor, anyone else had that?

Lastly, the car has been seriously lowered and has coilovers on it. Unfortunately it wont even get over a speed hump so I am going to have to get it raised and possibly swap the suspension. If it wont raise far enough to straddle speed humps, what would be the best route to go? Would you recommend oem springs/shocks? I think some people put R32 parts on too but im sure you guys will know the options.

Thanks in advance for your help and look forward to being part of your community. Currently just bought the car as a work runaround as my Subaru is in a state where it only does 11mpg in the stop start comute to work so hopefully this is a little better :)

Cheers

Mega

·
pauly4226
935 Posts
welcome to the forum matey,would have thought 2.8 v6 would have been pretty rapid 204 horses i think.my v5 seems to get going about 2 1/5 k and just keeps going. spring wise i have the same issues as you inso much as i need the car as a daily,have mine lowered on an eibach sports kit,30mm drop ,not as low as id like but will still go anywhere.i guess its down to how deep your pockets are,your going to be looking at matched springs and dampers.just suprised you cant get them any higher.maybe a cheeper option would be to have some spacers made up,which will go between the spring and the locking rings.just a thought is all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome Mega,

new here too, as far as I know there souldn't be flat spot there mine really kicks once you pass 3k n pulls strong till over 5k.Get good service done and that should be a good base and if that dosen't sort it try get someone with vagcom to scan it.

think the locking is set that way, if I hit fob once it only opens drivers door and it auto locks fast! two clicks on fob all doors open and no auto lock.

You should be able to raise the coilovers but if not I'd go for R32 standard kit there uprated and lower than 2.8 standard kit and as far as I know shocks ars blistein and springa are vw racing.

Hope this helps and im sure a couple of the guys on here will help you out, Theres alot of very helpful and genuine nice people on here!

Have you any mods planned??

Good luck with the new motor and put up some [^^]

Shane.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I have a FULL standard 4MOTION shock and spring set up and a spare set of front shocks if your looking for standard suspension and regards to the lack in power i would say a GOOD service and change the MAF for a new one and it will go like it should again but make sure youu only get an OEM MAF as the after market ones from the likes of unipart are pants [Y]

Welcome to the forum as well lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the site guys and all your feedback. I have noticed that there seems to be an inner wing induction kit that looks very new on the car. In order to keep insurance costs down on it I will be taking this off as part of the service next week so hopefully this might help solve the flat spot issue. Going by what you guys are saying a good service should help so will see what its like after next wednesday when it goes in.

I have asked the garage to raise the suspension to the highest setting on the coilovers as looking at the car it appears as though they are on the lowest setting currently. Hopefully this will resolve the issue of not getting over speed humps but I will have to see. If not I will certainly consider going for R32 parts or if DentReform still has his for sale I might go with the standard setup depending on condition.

With regards to planned mods ive got to keep it fairly standard for now until I build up a years NCB as this is the third car in the household now so i cant use my NCB against it. I need to keep my NCB on the Subaru as thats highly modified and running at about 400bhp. I will be keen to find out what sort of mods people generally do to these cars though as I have a history of modding cars. I was always under the impression remaps on none turbo cars didnt give a right lot back apart from quicker throttle response having mapped a fiesta st150 and a focus st170 in the past. Is it worth considering the usual cold air induction system, larger exhaust system and remap or would that only give a hand full of power increase?

I have a CD of pics from the garage that they took which I can upload somewhere if you guys are interested. Although I havent had time to give the car a full polish/valet as such since i took delivery (car was delivered to me). On that note, what are the rules for pics on this site. Normally i upload to photobucket and post links to the full size images in the forums.

Lastly, I took your advice and got a friend with another VW to run vagcom on the car which may have been a bad idea as its come back with a whole heap of error codes which are below. If anyone has any suggestions for these codes then let me know.

Thanks

Mega

Error Codes:
I take it the number of errors is a bad sign?

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Chassis Type: 1J - VW G/J/B Mk4
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,22,35,46,56

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 022 906 032 BG
Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1G 0004
Coding: 0000132
Shop #: WSC 31414
1 Fault Found:
17924 - Intake Manifold Valve (N156): Open Circuit
P1516 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 03 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 1C0 907 379 F
Component: ESP ALLRAD MK60 0104
Coding: 0023046
1 Fault Found:
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Address 08 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 3B1 907 044 C
Component: CLIMATRONIC C 2.0.0
Coding: 11000
1 Fault Found:
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
07-10 - Signal to Low - Intermittent

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 17 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 1J0 920 946 A
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V20
Coding: 21414
Shop #: WSC 00000
WVWZZZ1JZ4D091158 VWZ7Z0C7907737
1 Fault Found:
01336 - Data Bus for Comfort System
80-10 - Single-Wire Operation - Intermittent

Address 19 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001
Coding: 00006
1 Fault Found:
01336 - Data Bus for Comfort System
80-10 - Single-Wire Operation - Intermittent

Address 22 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 02D 900 554 C
Component: HALDEX LSC ECC 0010
1 Fault Found:
00526 - Brake Light Switch-F
27-00 - Implausible Signal

Address 46 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 1C0 959 799 B
Component: 1X Komfortgerát HLO 0003
Coding: 00258
8 Faults Found:
01331 - Door Control Module: Driver Side (J386)
53-10 - Supply Voltage Too Low - Intermittent
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking: Front Driver Side (F220)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
01332 - Door Control Module: Passenger Side (J387)
00929 - Locking Module for Central Locking: Front Passenger Side (F221)
01333 - Door Control Module: Rear Left (J388)
00930 - Locking Module for Central Locking: Rear Left (F222)
01334 - Door Control Module: Rear Right (J398)
00931 - Locking Module for Central Locking: Rear Right (F223)

Address 56 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 1J0 035 186 D
Component: RADIO SON 0004
Coding: 01403
1 Fault Found:
00856 - Radio Antenna
36-00 - Open Circuit

End -------------------------------------------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts