Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

2.8 v6 4motion mpg?

27K views 105 replies 30 participants last post by  colinmeadows 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Time to change cars agin and the 2.8 is on the list.

Anyone got ant comments on their mpg and the car in general?

cheers

#2 ·
I have had a V6 4mo since November 04 and despite some shoddy VW main dealer service I am very happy with the car.

I was looking a Civic Type R before I bought the 4mo and to be honest the 4mo is in a different class and no regrets.

Fuel, well if your worried about economy buy a diesel, it ranges between 18 to mid 30's.

All in all a great car a superb blend of comfort and performance.

#3 ·
Well, had my 4Mo since Sept 03 and had many a happy drive [:D]

The build quality is superb and this is my 1st ever German car too. Ok the mpg can be a big issue because of the lovely sounding V6 but who cares. I can range from 36mpg to 10mpg round Castle Combe race track [:O]

Go and find one that does have as many extras as you can find. Mine had ever one added except for SatNav and I am very pleased I found one with it all on board. Will certainly be keeping this baby for a long time now as after having Scoobys, Cosworths and others, I'd rather have my 4Mo anyday [H]

#6 ·
That's a lot better than I thought it would be, particularly as the
declared "Combined Cycle" figure for the 4M Bora is 25.4mpg (compared
to the 1.8T's 35-ish).

Question for the Bora drivers - does the rear differential intrude into
the boot space (or cause the spare tyre to do so)? If so, how
much space do you lose?

Nice Guy Mike

#7 ·
MPG is usually around 25 for short journeys, sometimes 28 without really trying. The missus can get more like 33. [:|]
I dont get that much town driving. I generally see between 22 and 26 at a push. Might go over 30 if lucky on a motorway run. With the Bora 4mo, AFAIK its the same as with the golf, you get a smaller spare wheel well due to rear differential, leading to a space saver wheel. does not intrude on boot space at all.

#8 ·
I get about 22 round town and low 30's on a run. You can't get too hung up on it so just enjoy the drive. You can't take it with you!

BTW there must be some difference in boot space as the accessories are V6 4Mo specific ie dog gaurd and mats. Altough i get everything i'd want to in the boot so it's probably a very small difference.

#9 ·
Question for the Bora drivers - does the rear differential intrude into
the boot space (or cause the spare tyre to do so)? If so, how
much space do you lose?
Yes. The boot floor is about 3-4 inches higher, so its definetly
shallower...but all other dimesions are the same and its still a
huge boot.

P.S. Buy my car Mike. Ill meet you in Birmingham....[;)]

#10 ·
Question for the Bora drivers - does the rear differential intrude into the boot space (or cause the spare tyre to do so)? If so, how much space do you lose?
Yes. The boot floor is about 3-4 inches higher, so its definetly shallower...but all other dimesions are the same and its still a huge boot.

P.S. Buy my car Mike. Ill meet you in Birmingham....[;)]
Good sales pitch... and I have to admit there are only two Bora 4mos id buy, and Mikes is one of them.[:D]

#12 ·
Blimey...I see several references to 30+ mpg...

How d'ya do that then...precisely 56mph? Downhill? Removing excess weight such as spare wheel and rear seats?

I get an average 26mpg...around town 20-22, motorway (keeping it at around 85mph), I return about 28.

I do have the AMD remap, but I don't think that affects it by more than about 1 mpg.

Guess if you kept it to 70 on a long run you'd get closer to 30, or over.

How about a BMW 330Cd...0-60 in 7.2s and 43mpg! That's just silly talk!

#13 ·
I get 27mpg on a run IE today I went from liverpool - crewe - liverpool
and got 27.5mpg however 90% of mine is town driving with lots of 1-2
mile stops and I average 20.5 over most tankfulls and over several
thousand miles about 22.5 mpg, and I have a very heavy right foot.

#14 ·

How d'ya do that then...precisely 56mph? Downhill? Removing excess weight such as spare wheel and rear seats?

I get an average 26mpg...around town 20-22, motorway (keeping it at around 85mph), I return about 28.

I do have the AMD remap, but I don't think that affects it by more than about 1 mpg.

I set my cruise to 80mph and I return 32mpg.

#15 ·

I set my cruise to 80mph and I return 32mpg.
no probs getting that going steady on the motorway, but my runs are mainly short hits between work and the gym and home... rarely go above 23.[:(]

#25 ·
My Bora mpg usually sits around 27-30, pretty similar to when I had a 2.8 engine in it.

I think the 4Mo's are pretty fuel efficient considering the performance/4WD set-up.

Tell you what, thier's some good 4Motions (esp' Boras) around for sale at the minute![;)]

#26 ·
My Bora mpg usually sits around 27-30, pretty similar to when I had a 2.8 engine in it.

I think the 4Mo's are pretty fuel efficient considering the performance/4WD set-up.

Tell you what, thier's some good 4Motions (esp' Boras) around for sale at the minute![;)]
Not when you compare it to equivalent BMW engines... and ok they aren't 4WD, but then the 4mo is not permanent 4WD either... only when you are thraping it does it become required.

Im not saying that for example an R32 on full whack is less efficient than a M3 CSL for example... I mean when your battering it... but why is it my mate gets better town driving MPG than us 4mo/R32 drivers. And its not just the CSL, nearly all the similar sized Beemer lumps are more efficient. must be the gearing or something.[:S]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.