Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting past 9000 miles in my GT TDI and performance & economy seem to be improving all the time. The bottom end feels stronger than when new, which is good because at first it was weaker than I expected for a diesel. I'm also regularly seeing 2-3 mpg more on a regular basis I reckon. The gearshift is gradually getting smoother as at first it was a bit notchy between 4th & 5th, and the car generally feels smoother to drive.

This is just to cheer-up new TDI owners even more.

Does the experience get even better as time goes on, or do bits start falling off?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
you probably don't want a reply from me ! hehehe ! Although I hope ( fingers crossed ) that mine is over the hissy-fit that it has had for the last 5 months. Mine has done 9K too and I notice that it is smoother. I can't really tell you about a strong bottom end[:O] - mine is superchipped and its the first car that i've had that I have to feather the throttle when the roads are damp - I never get tired of giving it some stick in 2nd gear [:D][:D]

New turbo being fitted on 28/10 so hopefully things will improve further then

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I noticed a difference between 10-12k miles and Im at 14,000 now. Makes me wonder what mileage the TDI is best suited for, im tihnking that perhaps they're not fully settled until about 30,000 miles. At this rate (working on the assumption of changing the car every three years) first owners of the TDI's will never experience the cars at their best unless they do a decent amount of annual milage.

I've heard of MkIV TDI's still going strong at 160,000 miles!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just passed 25k this morning - and I have noticed performance gains at 5-6K, 10-12k and again at about 19k (poss as a result of first service)

It really does get quicker - I'm not prepared to say how fast here, but believe me, even allowing for an overread on the speedo - it shouldn't go that fast (according to VW!)

Economy has creopt up by about 2mpg over the past 10k as well - using a true measure and 90 average. (That's me showing my sad tendencies!)

But as has already been said on here, you soon get used to it and want more - bring on the 170 diesel...I'm due a new car about August next year so with any luck the timing should be about right ;-)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm likely to keep it until at least 60K / 3 years so it looks like I'll get the best from it. They should make a cracking used buy, just a shame I wanted one before there were any high milers around.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I think Damians is loosening up literally?
Heh, hub caps rolling away, mudflaps falling off, screws coming loose (we know he's a few shy already mind [;)])

Good point though Craig [y] [;)]

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think Damians is loosening up literally?
Heh, hub caps rolling away, mudflaps falling off, screws coming loose (we know he's a few shy already mind [;)])

Good point though Craig [y] [;)]
Thanks Chris, couldn't resist. Must be a right pain in the rear though (understatement), he's got a lot of patience does that lad.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Agreed, I'd have completely lost it way before he did - only met the
poor fella once, such a nice chap... Oh - Hey Damian, was just talking
about you [y] [;)]

(You watch, he'll come along and tell me to tidy my room *AGAIN* in a minute [;)])

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
its not that I'm patient, its just that customs have scuppered by plan by impounding my latest ebay purchase from ebay Iraq[:|].

I am just exhausted with it ( that'll probably fall off too now ![:O] )

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Iraq, but butbut you could be funding terrorisim (or some rubbish like that anyway!)

Is it a secret then, can't you say??

And don't tempt fate dad, you've already had the turbo go [:cool:]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
go the turbo sorted already..this one is going in on Friday - they reckon they only need the car for 1/2 day coz it'll go straight on :

Posted Image

·
Registered
136 Posts
ha ha classic turbo

I've had my TDi a month now and i'm really impressed with it now I have started to get used to the lack of acceleration in 1st, apart from that good as gold.

Don't really miss my GTi at all for day to day driving, it only really makes a difference when you want to throw it around a bit more, kinda of difficult to do on the M4 in rush hour [:p]

By the way where did you get that gun, thats the one option I'm missing, would come in handy on the motorway

1 - 19 of 19 Posts