Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you guys will know I own a 150 TDi. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the 'new' 140 spec car. Its not a totally fair comparision as the replacement for my car is the TDi GT 170, but I wouldn't be looking to spend that kind of money. I came home and went for a quick spin in my Golf just to clarify things.

Here are my impressions of a 3 door 2.0 TDi 140 with 16" alloys

Interior:

'Feel' of the car was great very premium, the dash didn't bother me. Nice switches, seats controls, gearbox short and precise - felt a step up from my mk iv. Pedal layout - really liked that throttle pedal - great for heel and toe. Really well thought out interior (just read the mk v tips and tricks). Seats felt better, more supportive (cloth) though they didn't have the electric adjustment. Liked the comfort indicators. Really live-able car - just what VW do very well!! Didn't have dual climatronic - odd thought that it was std on the early ones. Stereo was quite good (I've got an Alpine with std speakers on mine) so the qaulity was ok - read some people complain but its ok.

Exterior:

Nice metallic blue, had the standard 16" alloys (prefer the 17s). 3 door so like for like comparision with mine. Car was running 16" Toyo Proxies...nice!

Drive

Handlling:

Ok, I wasn't sad enough to ask him to check the pressures but I'd guess they were slightly lower than normal. I was surprised that the ride wasn't firmer - I wouldn't have guessed it was the GT spec suspension and have read much in VW driver about the firmer ride. Yes it does have trick rear end suspension for more compliance and roll stiffness.

It did feel composed but it took me a while to trust it as most of the sporty cars I've driven (ie 306) have stiff rides but cos of that trick rear end its comfy and surprisingly doesn't roll at the same time. Thats a new feeling for me!! Prob anyone whos driven a Focus is used to it already. But it just didn't feel that sporty, ok so its not a GT 170 and not a GTi either.

ESP was great, the traction part allowing a bit more slip better judged. I liked the backup of this. The chassis is esentially well set up - you can really lean on it.

Engine:

Very smooth, a step on from the 1.9 unit, lot less vibration and feels mechanically more balanced. But...(you knew there was a but!!) it didn't 'feel' fast. A common observation from the 1.9 to the 2.0, quite linear but it didn't have the elastic band effect of my car. Its different not worse - less 'VW diesel' like. It had a lot less lag than my 150 but felt less exciting as a result. The heavier body does take its toll on performance, just a hint more of interia to overcome. Felt slightly underpowered (air con off) compared to my 150.

Overall:

Its a nice car but it didn't blow me away like my 150 did. First time I put my foot down in a 150 I had a huge grin and thought the car must have been modified!! Its a nice car but it just didn't do it for me thats qite surprising for me being a big VW fan. I guess its not pitched as sporty as my 150 so perhaps I'd be happier with a 170 (but I can't afford one!!). When i got home and drove my Golf I could get the straightline performance with 3/4 throttle.

Perhaps its a slow burner, perfect for a nippy slightly sporty Golf. Perhaps I might test drive a 320D Compact.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Good little write up.. but if you want more power just remap yours and that will blow any 170bhp derv out of the water..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good little write up.. but if you want more power just remap yours and that will blow any 170bhp derv out of the water..

Sat [y]
Thanks!!

I'm not so keen on re-maps... u don't get something for nothing!! But yes that chassis does deserve more power!!! The GTi 2.0T must be excellent!!

Any mk v owners care to comment on my write up???

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How come you didn't test drive the TDI 170?
Yeah - 'cos I knew I'd put a deposit down!!

I'm sure the 170 is a blinder, but its out of my league for now. Plus I see the same situation as the mk iv second hand - loads of 130s at good prices and a few 150s at silly prices. Perhaps I'll go down the BMW route (320d or 330d - if I'm feeling reckless).

But for now - I'm quite content with my Golf, I'm not missing out on that much. If I had a 115 or 110 I'd be well impressed and want to upgrade. But, the 140 is a 'down-grade' from my 150. Still don't think I'm slating it - its a great car!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
But, the 140 is a 'down-grade' from my 150. Still don't think I'm slating it - its a great car!!!
Exactly what I though when I test drove the 140 as a possible replacement for the 150. Ended up going for a GTI..... haven't regretted it so far.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yep, I'd agree with most of that, SK.

Couple of points I'd qualify though, first the power. The 140 has a very different character to the 150 in that the power comes on more gradually, rather than the rush of the 150, which I'd agree gives a bigger grin factor. Overall though the 140 isn't that much slower, just what you might expect from the 7% power drop and increased weight, and it does rev out nicely, which the 150 does not. Second, the interior which I would have to say is not up to the quality of the Mkiv. OK, it's well thought out and there are some nice features, but the feel of the controls, the fabrics and the plastics is just not there for me. Overall, my Mkv feels almost as well built as my Mkiv 150PD, but there are a few more rattles and squeaks than I remember! The handling, though, is in a different league - nuff said!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I'd agree with most of that, SK.

Couple of points I'd qualify though, first the power. The 140 has a very different character to the 150 in that the power comes on more gradually, rather than the rush of the 150, which I'd agree gives a bigger grin factor. Overall though the 140 isn't that much slower, just what you might expect from the 7% power drop and increased weight, and it does rev out nicely, which the 150 does not. Second, the interior which I would have to say is not up to the quality of the Mkiv. OK, it's well thought out and there are some nice features, but the feel of the controls, the fabrics and the plastics is just not there for me. Overall, my Mkv feels almost as well built as my Mkiv 150PD, but there are a few more rattles and squeaks than I remember! The handling, though, is in a different league - nuff said!
aky - I meant that if I had test driven a 170 - I would have really wanted one..look what happened to mikedave..only sodden bought an M3 after falling head over heels for it!!!

I guess after mulling it over perhaps I was expecting a little too much from what is a slightly sporty model. Driving a 150 does spoil you and now it has put into focus what a rapid machine my 150 is!! I can see why people like to remap them as the chassis will handle it.

As for your comments on the interior I really liked it, the harder dash didn't bother me. I really liked the seats though, felt slightly more contoured and firm in all the right places. You can tell that the steering has a little dead spot in the middle (common with most dubs) makes the motor way (or autobarn) cruise more relaxing but does rob a little turn in.

Most of all its an easy car to drive. I was surprised that I could just jump in and drive it with confidence. Its only when you drive other cars you notice small things like the steering wheel doesn't obscure the stalks, height and depth adjustment, auto windows on from drivers side, wipers that park etc!!

Agree with you on the engine, it does rev out and is sweeter overall, easier it traffic as it doesn't just lag and then boost all of a sudden (ie pulling out of a junction rapidly in my 150 is lag-boost-brake!!!)

I think I'll still get a mk v 140 in the long run but I'll hold onto my mk iv a bit longer, strange rather than making me want to 'upgrade' - makes me want to keep my 150 and appreciate how special it is!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well my 140 GT 4MOTION used to feel a bit like your write up and only did low 40MPG but since its Superchip taking it to 185 hp and 290 torque it now does better mpg by 3-4mpg it is easier to drive as it now pulls higher gears better at lower revs.

The Superchips man I spoke to has an Audi A3 that has done over 50,000 with no problems.These remaps are not taking the engine right up to there limits of power or shortening there life.If you really turned up the fuelling etc it would put a lot more strain on it but the off the shelf ones like Superchips sell are only a mild upgrade for the masses they give you a warranty against any problems.

If you have ever watched tractor pulling on TV some of the diesels are in a class called pro stock that has to use the standard engine block and an 8 litre engine is putting out 2,200 hp that's like my 2.0 putting out 550hp so I do not think an extra 30hp or so will do any harm at all.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my 140 GT 4MOTION used to feel a bit like your write up and only did low 40MPG but since its Superchip taking it to 185 hp and 290 torque it now does better mpg by 3-4mpg it is easier to drive as it now pulls higher gears better at lower revs.

The Superchips man I spoke to has an Audi A3 that has done over 50,000 with no problems.These remaps are not taking the engine right up to there limits of power or shortening there life.If you really turned up the fuelling etc it would put a lot more strain on it but the off the shelf ones like Superchips sell are only a mild upgrade for the masses they give you a warranty against any problems.

If you have ever watched tractor pulling on TV some of the diesels are in a class called pro stock that has to use the standard engine block and an 8 litre engine is putting out 2,200 hp that's like my 2.0 putting out 550hp so I do not think an extra 30hp or so will do any harm at all.
Fair point, well made. I'm a car fan I know the theory but I'm not a mechanical engineer so I'm on the fence with tuning. Its the extra torque that I imagine could break stuff. What about the clutch, do you need to be careful not to give it full beans pulling away??

Thinking about it another 30 bhp would transform the drive of that car, that chassis, interior with an extra 30 bhp - would easily feel quicker than my Golf.

I want to test drive the nice civic, I had one of those pull away from me on the motorway, perhaps he wasn't in top like me.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Good write up, with a nice balanced view, I did own a GT TDi but ended up trading it in for the GTi, I think the key word is refinement, which can make the GT TDi feel slow, it has bags of low end torque, which can make to lazy driving IMH.

With the 150, power comes in with a rush, due in part to it extra lag, I think this give a more "sporty" impression, rather like a noisy exhaust.

Understand what you mean about the 140 not really being sporty, but a very good car all the same, and if I had to own a diesel again, I wouldn't hesitate to have another.

Then again if you want "sporty" get a GTi.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
What about the clutch, do you need to be careful not to give it full beans pulling away??
I think that you have got to be sensible about driving the car if you get it remapped. I always, always wait til the car is up to temperature before giving it some stick. My car was remapped with less than 7000 miles on it - now, a year later, it has 27000 miles on it and I've not had a single problem. My concern, like yours, is the clutch so ( for me personally ) it was nice to have the extra power and torque but I didn't really want to see 200 bhp / over 300lb ft torque - maybe some tuners consider that "safe" but its not for me.

Also, this is my first remap - and I was sceptical beforehand. Is it worth it ? What happens if the car suffers a mechanical problem afterwards etc etc. After it was done, I could only think what a GTi must be like remapped. The car drives exactly the same as before - no rubberband effect - but it just piles on the speed effortlessly - you can't believe the difference.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about the clutch, do you need to be careful not to give it full beans pulling away??
I think that you have got to be sensible about driving the car if you get it remapped. I always, always wait til the car is up to temperature before giving it some stick. My car was remapped with less than 7000 miles on it - now, a year later, it has 27000 miles on it and I've not had a single problem. My concern, like yours, is the clutch so ( for me personally ) it was nice to have the extra power and torque but I didn't really want to see 200 bhp / over 300lb ft torque - maybe some tuners consider that "safe" but its not for me.

Also, this is my first remap - and I was sceptical beforehand. Is it worth it ? What happens if the car suffers a mechanical problem afterwards etc etc. After it was done, I could only think what a GTi must be like remapped. The car drives exactly the same as before - no rubberband effect - but it just piles on the speed effortlessly - you can't believe the difference.
Its the first car that I've driven that the ride was compliant but
didn't roll in corners (unlike my 306)...that took a while to trust the car as the
vertical compliance felt similar to my 150, but the corners were hardly
any learn whatsoever. Makes sense why pay for the roll stiffness in the vertical stiffness. Also in most torsion beam cars I've driven throwing it at a corner I can 'feel' the outside wheel moving upwards and slightly inwards giving the impression its got lateral give in the suspension- always felt a little too frisky for my liking. The mk v didn't do any of that, the rear felt very tied down (I'm no lift off oversteer hero!!).

DervBurner, would love a Gti but can't afford it!! Must drive amazingly... I won't even torture myself with a test drive!!

Damien - Interesting that you are (were!!) also skeptical of remaps too!! Your concerns are exactly my concerns!! I'll bear it in mind as a possible option if i buy one. I think I'll settle for one when in the longterm my 150 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Besides I promised myself that my 150 was my last hurrah, my last 'push the boat out' car purcahse - my next one will be a 'normal' german car.

On a different note its quite staggering how much trouble u've had with your mk v - the one I test drove felt solid as a rock!!! Shame I didn't think to see the mileage but stealers usually have 2 year old cars.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
the car I test drove was OK ( apart from a bit hanging off underneath - maybe that should have told me everything I need to know [:S] ) but yes, this one has not been good. My wife is constantly trying to p/x it - and its not even ours to do that [:D]

You aren't that far away from me - maybe I should pull my finger out and visit my customer in Reading so that you can have a test drive of mine...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the car I test drove was OK ( apart from a bit hanging off underneath - maybe that should have told me everything I need to know [:S] ) but yes, this one has not been good. My wife is constantly trying to p/x it - and its not even ours to do that [:D]

You aren't that far away from me - maybe I should pull my finger out and visit my customer in Reading so that you can have a test drive of mine...
Yeah if your near Reading give me a PM. I'm usually on here everyday.

Sunjay

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Quote..

DervBurner, would love a Gti but can't afford it!! Must drive amazingly... I won't even torture myself with a test drive!!

Wasn't trying to suggest you don't buy one Mate, as I said there a great diesel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts