Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on these two? the TDI does more MPG, but the FSI is quicker and cheaper? I havent driven a FSI yet, is there much between the two engines?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The FSI is not quicker. On paper it is but it's not.

You may get to 60 quicker by a fraction of a split second but in gear driving the TDI would leave it behind.

You have to rev the nuts off the FSI to get any power out of it compared to the TDI which has buckets of torque from almost the bottom of the rev counter.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Oh no I can see another petrol bashing thread starting [V]

Suggest you get a good test drive in both before making your decision.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am one of those Ex-petrol Converts. I remember when my company were going to force us all to drive diesel company cars a couple of years ago - people were actually going to resign if they did [:O]

Having said that the new generations of diesel are soooooo much better. I did find that the 2.0Tdi I have was a litlle noisier than I had expected, and is certainly louder than my wifes Mondeo(cough,cough) 2.o Tdci GhiaX, but then that may have something to do with sound deadening materials?

Anyway, you should drive both and then make up your own mind (i am sure you would anyway), but don't fall into the trap of thinking the diesel is more expensive to buy than a petrol. Yes, you will pay more for it initially, but as well as the MGP savings, which are only really relevant to high mileage driver, you will also realise a much better residual value in the current 2nd hand market. This may change though if they carry on stinging diesel drivers at the pumps at the rate at which they are. I saw diesel for 10pence more than petrol yesterday - was'nt so long ago that it was more than 10 pence cheaper.

Lastly, on yoour test drive don'nt make the mistake of revving the nuts out of the diesel, use it's torque and gears to gain the best speed.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Absolutely - drive both first.

My experience two weeks ago was that I had placed a deposit on a 6 month old 2.0 GT FSI. I then heard about the mpg figures obtained by others on this forum (generally between 26 and 31) and that made me decide I should be buying the diesel instead. I then found a 2.0 GT TDI for the same money but 11 months old. I collected it 10 days ago and have been really pleased with it. First fill up was yesterday after covering 500 miles. Performance is superb too and despite being a diesel the car is no slouch once its moving and acceleration for overtaking is excellent and effortless (no need to thrash it).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Test drive them and decide which engine suits your driving 'lifestyle'. I do a lot of miles and lazy with gearchanging so for me a diesel suits me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote: posted by ShiftyDriver on 04/04/2005 00:37:43

What are your thoughts on these two? the TDI does more MPG, but the FSI is quicker and cheaper? I havent driven a FSI yet, is there much between the two engines?

Why do people keep saying the 2.0 FSI is quicker on paper or otherwise? As I have said before many times take a look at the Volkswagen Driver Tests on both[^]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by CostalTDi on 04/04/2005 12:15:58

As I have said before many times take a look at the Volkswagen Driver Tests on both[^]

So, I take it they tested both? Were they both manual cars?

Are the articles on-line somewhere? If not could you post the results from the articles?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would say go for the TDI.

I test drove the A3 2.0FSI and 2.0TDI.

Looking at the specs the FSI is slightly faster by a few fractions of a second i think, HOWEVER the TDI is ALOT faster when driving imo. You got loads of power from like 2k, doesnt matter what gear your in.

To get some decent speed outa the FSI you gotta rev it all the way up to the top of the rev band before changing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Woops slight apology [:I]

I dont think VW Driver has tested the 2.0 FSI as yet , I think I have been confused by another magazine BUT here is some results

Golf 5 2.0 TDi

Max Speed - 126

0-60 - 7.8

0-80 - 14.9

30-50 (in 3rd) 3.4

50-70 (in 4th) 5.1

50-70 (in 5th) 6.2

Golf 5 1.6 FSI

Max Speed - 119

0-60 - 10.2

0-80 - 18.4

30-50 (in 3rd) 6.2

50-70 (in 4th) 9.0

50-70 (in 5th) 12.8

Golf 4 GTi 1.8T (2 Door 180 PS)

Max Speed - 138

0-60 - 7.1

0-80 - 11.2

30-50 (in 3rd) 3.8

50-70 (in 4th) 5.2

50-70 (in 5th) 6.4

Golf 4 GTi 1.8T (4 Door 150 PS)

Max Speed - 134

0-60 - 7.9

0-80 - 13.5

30-50 (in 3rd) 4.8

50-70 (in 4th) 7.1

50-70 (in 5th) 8.2

I would imagine the 2.0 TSI would be a bit shy of the Mk 4 1.8T

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm surprised at the in gear figures against the 180, and especially the 180 only being a shade more than 0.5secs quicker 0-60.

0-80 is where its at for the 1.8Ts though as the diesel probs has an extra gearchange

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys, I've been in to the dealers today and done back to beck tests on the 2.0 FSI, imediately followed by the 2.0 TDI. The TDI was much better to drive than the FSI. It feels like a much faster car. Lots of low down torque and really useable power. Much more fun. The FSI was quieter, but it felt like you had to wind it up a bit more that the TDI. I actually prefered the growlyness of the TDI too. So, all in all, the TDI is much more fun, and more efficient although a bit more expensive. The TDI I drove had only done 5 miles, and the FSI had done 7000!

So, Ive now answered my own question!

·
Registered
737 Posts
VW Driver did test the GT FSI in Feb 2005; these were the figs:

Golf 5 2.0 FSi

Max Speed - 128

0-60 - 8.5

0-80 - 14.6

30-50 (in 3rd) 4.8

50-70 (in 4th) 6.6

50-70 (in 5th) 8.6

The 0-60 time is actually slower than 2.0TDI; interestingly the mid-range times for the 2.0FSI seems very similar to 1.8T(150). This is no doubt helped by having a 6 speed g/box.

Diesels always seem to be quicker for comparable mid-range times but imo a petrol engined car can always be driven in a lower gear due to it being much quieter than the average diesel car. I had a test drive in a MKV 2.0TDI prior to buying another MKIV 1.8T and was very disappointed by the refinement; maybe it was a poor example but it seemed noisier than other 130/150TDIs that I've driven.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Matt

I can honestly say engine noise has never effected my driving style:) but Its a good point all the same[:)]

personally,i'm n ot surprised at the 0-60 for the GT TDi,ive said all along it feels faster than my old 1.8T,and i also said i thought VWs claim of a 9 secs to 60 was also dodgy,and so it seems it is

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Thanks for posting the figures.

Excellent 0-60 for the TDi they tested and of course in gear figures are v good too. Surprising how the 2.0 FSI scorched ahead by 80 though [:D]

Anyone got test figures for the 1.9TDi or the other petrol models to complete the picture?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Me female dog" was a passenger on both drives in the FSI and TDI and she said the TDI felt much faster. When I put my foot down in the FSI she didnt flinch or look at all concerned, but in the TDI I could feel her tence a little and she looked across at me (always a good sign).

So there you have it, me female dog says yes!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts