Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has got a 2.0 Golf GTI that is using a fair bit of oil. I've got the impression that this may not be that unusual for this engine ? is this the case ? what would be the best oil to use for it ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've read before that cars using excessive amounts of oil are due to how they were run in during the first few thousand miles. Cars with the long life oil need to be revved a bit so that the engine beds in properly and if this doesn't happen the car can drink a lot of oil.

My wifes car drinks loads of oil because of this (about 1 litre every 1500 miles).

Not sure if this can be fixed with a change of oil...possibly gonna have to put up with it...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
My 2.0 GTI does this. I have read lots on posts on here about this engine using more oil than usual.

Nothing to worry about, just keep it topped up! [:)]

·
Registered
895 Posts
Quote: posted by smallboy on 06/01/2005 17:47:32

Quote: posted by Mark25 on 06/01/2005 17:32:43

my APK 2.0 8v uses 1 litre every 4 - 5K miles

I second this too when I had the 2.0. It certainly drank more oil than the diesel one does now. For oil, I used Castrol Magnetec GTX (green bottle 15/40??)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know fully synth is supposed to be too thin for some of the old VW engine designs, the 2.0 is not really groundbreaking technology, so that's prob normal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote: posted by Mark25 on 07/01/2005 10:06:08

I know fully synth is supposed to be too thin for some of the old VW engine designs, the 2.0 is not really groundbreaking technology, so that's prob normal.

Mark, All VW engines from Model Year 2003 use the Longlife service regime, including the 2.0. That means using 0W30 oil that stays in the engine for up to 19000 miles. I know the 2.0 block may be a fairly old design, but it is manufactured to the same tight tolerances as all VW engines.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My 2.0 bora used a fair bit, used more though when it had a synth type in for some reason.

Much more than my TDI before it strangely, as I always thought diesels used some?

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2.0 gti ate full synth, so i switched to semi. The oil consumption with semi was still high, so it runs on 10w40 cheapest u can get. Doesn't eat as much now, covered over 20k on the cheap stuff and no probs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My 2.0 litre is an oilaholic! Just filled it up again today as a matter of fact (another litre after just over a thousand miles). Popped up to Scotland over Christmas and filled it on arrival, spinning around (a lot i admit) for a week, filled it up again before travelling south! I was using 100% synthetic, but i hear it's a waste of time for this engine anyway, so i'm swicthing to semi once the rest of this container is finished (in about 2 days at this rate!)

In my breakdown bag in the boot, I keep 1 litre of oil in here as well - just in case i've forgotten to check for a while and the light comes on (happened once!!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally i wouldn't bother with semi synth. i use enhanced mineral oil. As i posted earlier, i've had no problems and saves on the oil bills. It also lasts longer!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oxford - I've had condensation problems latley, since we've moved the car has gone from doing 30 mile a day to less than that a week. When i checked the oil this weekend there was so much yellow gunk under the oil cap i thought the head gasket had gone. But as i'm not losing any coolant i'm putting it down to condensation. I'm driving the car to work for a couple of weeks to give it a decent run. Have you had similar problems?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hi Kent.

I also get the yellow gunk too.... As you say, its condensation. Nothing really to worry about because the engine runs fine. It seems to effect mine only in the winter months. I the summer I scoop it out and it does not re-form at all till the winter.

Very strange!

- I have to say, bar these minor things the engine is very reliable. My car has just touched 127,000!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad to hear it! I was considering getting rid of the gti before xmas

and getting something else, but as it's all paid for now i decided to keep it and mod it instead! The 17" bk's are on, next R32 wheel, 30mm drop on the suspension followed by v6 rear valence and back box. Ours is up to 98k so far, only thing is that it idles roughly. Had three sensors changed on the engine about 3 months ago, one on the exhaust side, one on the fueling side of the system and the cambelt sensor. Transformed the car completely. Just hope at soem point i can cure the rough idle!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts