Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, calling all 2.0 FSI drivers, please tell me your average fuel consumption please, I'd like to compare with my Mk4 1.8T.

Also, is anyone using third party personal (not company) car leasing, did you find better deals than VW "New solutions"?

Many thanks

David

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had one of these as a loan car for 4 days. Fuel consumption was terrible. About 22mpg average over 200miles. Checking the MFA, (which hadn't been reset for ~ 1600 miles) it read 26mpg. On top of this, it needs 98 ron fuel for the fuel stratification to work properly. Due to its comparative lack of torque it needs to be thrashed to get anywhere - hence the poor economy figs.

If you havn't ordered yet, forget the NA 2.0FSI and go for the 2.0TDI. It's a far superior car!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
No data for the 2.0FSI but the 1,6FSI offers excellent economy. Avering 38mpg with a lot of town driving probably about 2/3 in town. On a mway run you can (or at least my wife can) get very close to 50mpg!

I would therefore be surprised if the 2.0FSI were a lot worse - Rivage's example sounds a bit strange. 22-26mpg is worse than a GTI would get. Was that on a run or sitting for a long time in traffic. VW quote 36mpg combined so I would expect people to get pretty close to that.

As to whether the diesel is far superior, that is of course a matter of personal preference [:)]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had two of these as demos and they both averaged around 26mpg with a good mix of motorway and town.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
i am going to be doing a 150 mile (98% motorway) drive tomorrow in my new 2.0 FSI. If the 26mpg figures are true I will not be owning this car for very long and the potential GTi owners who will have a turbo to contend with my also want to say something! Will report tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've got an average of 30-31 mpg for the last few tanks (optimax) in my GTI. This has been a mixture of town & motorway driving and lots of short journeys to/from work. I can sometime get 35mpg average on a motorway run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my MKV GTI I get a day to day average of 28-30 mpg (thats a 20 mile round trip to work and back. On the motorway while crusing at 75-80 I get 34-35 mpg which I don't think is too bad for a turbo'ed 2 Litre.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The GTI I had on demo was better on fuel than the NA 2.0 - I suspect because it has a similar torque fig to my diesel and did not need to be worked as hard for the same speeds over the same roads.

My journeys in the 2.0FSI were mixed town/motorway short hops. I found the 2.0 TDI a much more charasmatic drive - low down grunt, 16v top end, a purposeful engine note and excellent mpg. The 2.0 GT FSI has none of these things IMO.

No offence to 2.0 FSI drivers!

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
The A3 2.0 FSI at work returns an average of 28 mpg. That is only short 4-5mile journeys though using ASDA petrol as my manager who runs the car is a pikey (thats why he's loaded I suppose!) Just hit 11K today and will need servicing in 2k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've a 3500KM brand new terrible Golf MK5 2.0 FSI in Hong Kong

The Fuel consumption 9Km/Liter = 21.2mpg

The performance same as my 7 years old Ford Mondeo !!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
There must be something wrong with your car or else you are in a permeneant traffic jam (in Hong Kong maybe you are?), 21mpg?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 14/03/2005 08:21:09

No data for the 2.0FSI but the 1,6FSI offers excellent economy. Avering 38mpg with a lot of town driving probably about 2/3 in town. On a mway run you can (or at least my wife can) get very close to 50mpg!

I would therefore be surprised if the 2.0FSI were a lot worse - Rivage's example sounds a bit strange. 22-26mpg is worse than a GTI would get. Was that on a run or sitting for a long time in traffic. VW quote 36mpg combined so I would expect people to get pretty close to that.

As to whether the diesel is far superior, that is of course a matter of personal preference [:)]

I drove a 1.6 SE the other day as a hire car mainly around town it got only 31-32 (mind you it was brand new). Are you putting Optimax in yours.

I will tell you one thing the government urban figures flatter Petrol cars BIG STYLE[8)]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I am going to fax my selling dealer tomorrow and ask them if the mpg figures I can expect for the 2.0 GT FSI are the same (or near to)as VW publish. If they cannot verify this I suspect the deal is off as I cannot afford a car running at below 30mpg.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by CostalTDi on 14/03/2005 21:12:59

Quote: posted by kenl on 14/03/2005 08:21:09

I will tell you one thing the government urban figures flatter Petrol cars BIG STYLE[8)]

Not on mine they don't. I can easily beat the urban figure on mine. My 6 mile trip to work starting from cold is 33-34mpg all through town as long as I am not stuck in traffic.

Why would "government" figures flatter petrol cars and not diesel[?] Tests are done the same for both.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by CostalTDi on 14/03/2005 21:12:59

I drove a 1.6 SE the other day as a hire car mainly around town it got only 31-32 (mind you it was brand new). Are you putting Optimax in yours.

"Official" figure for 1.6FSI is 31.7mpg urban, so I see you are almost flattering them too [^]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote: posted by Mark V on 14/03/2005 23:02:06

I am going to fax my selling dealer tomorrow and ask them if the mpg figures I can expect for the 2.0 GT FSI are the same (or near to)as VW publish. If they cannot verify this I suspect the deal is off as I cannot afford a car running at below 30mpg.

What is your Golf 2.0 Fule consumption.My Golf was run for 3500Km,6 tank average was 8.6-11.6Km/Liter combine with difference driving behavior.This is a log is true!! "Fuel eater!"

Did you feel your Golf 2.0 have a not acceptable hesitation (1-1.5Sec.)when up shift 1st to 2nd gear ?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hi 4665,

Sorry - I cannot tell you as I have not yet collected the car. In fact I am now having very serious concerns about completing this sale due to the 'fuel thirsty' comments here. I cannot afford to run a Group 13 insurance car that gulps fuel at 26mpg, it is just not an option for me.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Well - here goes: I am changing to a 2.0 GT TDi instead! First oil burner in 9 years. I cannot afford to put fuel in to the FSi and frankly I am shocked at the figures being mentioned here - 26mpg being a recurring figure, 30 - 31 at best (and on Optimax!). the reason I did not go for the TDi in the first place was that I could not find one under ?16,000 from VW dealer. Anyway,I have today located an April 04 car from a midlands dealer for (surprise, surprise) ?15,000!!! This car, amazingly, has extras including cruise control amd the Winter pack and the surrounding area lights (not sure how they differ from the standard 'coming home/leaving feature, perhaps someone can shed some light on this please?)so with the standard kit irt all looks like a nice package for someone who likes a few toys and gizmos and is a miser at the filling station. The cars in Reflex Silver and has 11,000 miles on it.

What do you guys think please?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
In normal out of town driving not involving Motorways, I hasten to add, my 1.6FSI is averaging just over 40mpg calculated from brim-to-brim filling whereas the onboard computer says 41.2mpg for the last 2k miles of driving since new. All this is on 97/98 RON usually Optimax - I'm more than pleased.

I did a 60 mile round trip yesterday, on country roads and the overall mpg was 46mpg according to the MFC.

This is better consumption than my previous old faithfull Rover 1.4i achieved and I see, from my stats. that the Rover when new, never achieved 40mpg during the winter months in which it was purchased!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts