Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question to the 2.0 8v owners out there... what is your oil conpumption like?

My TDI uses no oil whatsoever but my brothers 2.0 (AZJ code) uses quite a lot of oil; 5000 miles from being fully serviced and topped up to the check oil warning coming up on the MFA.

50000 miles and four years, and its always had a thirst for oil, but seems to be getting silly. After looking at vwvortex it seems this engine is prone to this behaviour and would like to judge who else is using oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi there,

i got a 2.0 azj code and my oil consumption is practically zero topped it up once in between anual service. only tiny bit to get it back on the mark.

engine only just done over 43000 on it so im happy with it [:)]

cheers

pete

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hi All

I have the APK version of the 2.0 lump and saw a thread on here about the level of oil consumption from the 2.0 engine so i started to moniter it , but all has been fine with almost no oil usage, I think the thread said that it depended on how the engine was run in

Bike_Boy

P.s Mines done 57 K

·
Registered
487 Posts
My engine drinks oil like it's going out of fashion. Have to put
fully synchetic in so it doesn't burn away to nothing within a few
motorway journeys.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
My mates has been known to drink the whole lot in 3,000 miles. My 2.0GTI used to drink the whole lot easily in 5000 miles. Both are over 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
811 Posts
my 2.0 apk, drinks it pretty quick too have to top up every 3k miles, good job vw sell there oil for ?4!!!

does anyone know why this type of engine needs to drink this much oil????

·
Registered
403 Posts
When i first bought my 2ltr APK I was toping up every month.It had fully synthetic oil in at the time.Since then I have changed the filter and topped up with a 10\40 semi syn(after a engine flush) and had no topping up issues in 3 months VW even said its ok to use this oil in the engine.Obviously the other oil was to thin and left the engine as quick as I put it in lol. A friend is running his on mineral oil and has also had no topping up issues since.

The story told about the oil issues on the APK was the oil wiper rings on 2 of the pistons were installed at the factory upside down.This results in not getting a correct wiper ring seal to the bore thus resulting in losing oil.Obviously the thinner the oil the worst your problems will be.

If anyone can add to this or correct me if wrong [:D]

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yeah i had the prob with mine but it has settled down alot the prob seemed to start after a service suspect the wrong oil was used by mechanic!D'oh!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My car uses quite a bit of oil, well saying that think ive gone through one big bottle in a year. Even took mine back to the garage because of it (coz i had a warranty) but they say its normal. It's weird though because sometimes it uses lots and sometimes it doesnt. Doesnt matter how many miles ive done either. Its really strange. I put up with it though but I didnt expect to have to put oil in a 4 year old car as much as I have too!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mine's pretty much between half a litre and a litre per month.
Look on the bright side - at least there is fresh oil in the engine
constantly!!!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems you can get a good one that doesn't burn oil, and a bad un that does.

Over on Vortex on the 2.0 litre engine thread they seem to all have grief down to the piston rings being fitted upside down, as mentioned above-bit of a por show on the part of VW.

Earlier generation 2.0 8v blocks don't have this issue.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mine's pretty much
between half a litre and a litre per month. Look on the bright
side - at least there is fresh oil in the engine constantly!!!
Golly gosh! LOL

What type of oil do you use?
Have tried all types. Shell Helix (From VW Dealer), Castrol, all
sorts really. Castrol GTX runs the sweetest so I tend to use that
- plus it's easy to get hold of. Some oils don't burn away as quickly
but make the engine sound tappety. Should call my car Hemel!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts