Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above the gaskets gone, the usual drinking huge ammounts of water and mayo in the oil cap. Engines on 111k and ran fine prior.

Now i was just about to shop this one in and go for a turbo untill it decided to kill itself in anger at being sold/traded.

What kind of price would i be looking at to put a turbo in it?

What sort of price would a h/g replacement be? Obv needs skimmed, new t/belt etc etc

Any advise???

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have mayo in my oil filler cap, thought the worst and took it to a garage. They said this is just condensation and is perfectly normal on this enginer and with its mileage (95k).

However, if you have mayo on the dipstick and collant tank then it is definately the head gasket.

I think head gasket replacement is around 800ish.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is mayo everywhere, so im pretty sure its gone.

Not really sure the best route to take, head gasket replacement, discs and pads, mot are all needed, im not sure if the value of the work required out weighs the value of the car.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
does it overheat? the 2 litre 8v's drink more water and oil than they do petrol, amwful engines, mine was also very prone to mayo on the filler.

get it sniff and compression tested before you go jumping to conclusions, you can get a compression tester for a tenner and its easy to do.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does it overheat? the 2 litre 8v's drink more water and oil than they do petrol, amwful engines, mine was also very prone to mayo on the filler.

get it sniff and compression tested before you go jumping to conclusions, you can get a compression tester for a tenner and its easy to do.
It Diesnt overheat no. Think ill need to get a comp test done and take it from there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2526976 this explains the mayo prety well, but like you said it could also be your headgasket,so get it checked out, as for turbos upgrades etc have a butchers through this, but its basicaly not worth it on the 2.0, i have one, the insurance is realy good {compared to a 1.8t} and the mpg is also prety good but tuneing wise http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2265105-2.0L-8v-Official-DIY-FAQ.. dont bother just save ya pennys.
Thanks for the link, might be somthing good then. Ill get the comp test done, see what the results are and take it from there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update on this.

Got a comp tester, stripped it down and check it all over, all within tollerance and holding fine. Cleaned out the breathers and checked the car over properly. Found a small leak from the radiator, which explains the cooliant loss. The mayo is due to the very short trips my gf has been doing since my on was born.

Thanks very much for the advice, saved me a fortune. :)

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
told you, those engines give fake HG failure symptoms all the time, basically they are crap engines lol

you still trading for a turbo? best move imo

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
told you, those engines give fake HG failure symptoms all the time, basically they are crap engines lol

you still trading for a turbo? best move imo
Can't thank you enough tbh Ian. I'm not sure if well trade up to a turbo. The Golfs a little bit small now. The wee mans pram takes up all the boot meaning going any where in it a bit of a pain. Was thinking looking into a golf estate/a4 estate but not sure yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts