Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, despite all the discussion here, I had my 1st variable service and it cost £280 and this included a Brake Fluid change (they still work, as well!) and a £10 charge for the Golf Plus courtesy car - the latter seemed to me to be an utterly pointless model in the VW Golf range.

Generally, the treatment at my main dealer was no better or worse than I'd expected although, in balance, was perhaps slightly better than I had expected bearing in mind all the horror stories one reads about, again, on these forums. My main gripe, if it is one, is that I never saw the same person twice and that is from booking the service several weeks ago and taking it in yesterday and picking it up in the afternoon. It would have been nice to deal with somebody that I recognised rather than a variety of suits.

Interestingly and not unexpectedly, I was charged about £2 odd for screenwash fluid (additive?) but I don't know where they would have put this as I had made sure that my reservoir was brimmed full the day before! I was also billed for 4 litres of synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
But Marvin, the critical issue was that they are only supposed to charge 0.9 hours of labour for this service. What happened with that. The £280 you were charged is for the second service (including brake fluid change). You were going to present them with evidence from VW to support this - what happened?

Who are these muppets? If you were charged for screenwash but had ensured the reservoir was full (as I always do) they should have given you the bottle to add yourself later.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The reason for the break fluid change is due to the  car being nearly two years old - even though its only just clocked its first service due to low mileage. The fluid change is age dependant, not mileage.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But Marvin, the critical issue was that they are only supposed to charge 0.9 hours of labour for this service. What happened with that. The £280 you were charged is for the second service (including brake fluid change). You were going to present them with evidence from VW to support this - what happened?

Who are these muppets? If you were charged for screenwash but had ensured the reservoir was full (as I always do) they should have given you the bottle to add yourself later.
Yes, I know, I had the letter on me but I chickened out in the end, as I saw nobody more than once and got a different story from each person. The last person whom I saw and handed my plastic to said that the 0.9 hours labour applied to 'fleet' servicing, or something like that, and that a more thorough investigation of the car is encompassed within the 1.5 hours that I was charged for.

Frankly, ultimately, I was just glad that I got my car back in one piece without any additional body damage and with the brake system still functioning as it did before. When I got home I also discovered that they hadn't stamped or filled in my Service record book and will have to phone/go back and sort that out. Regarding the screenwash, I would have to prove that my reservoir wasn't already full, wouldn't I? Perhaps they put some concentrate in, somehow. Then there was that tin of lubricant spray.............................................................hmmmmmmm!

Perhaps I should start calling my dealer by that derogatory term often seen on these forums.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Marvin - its easy to say you should have challenged them before you took the car in but that was my advice to you at the time. Look, this stuff about 'fleet servicing' is total rubbish, a car with that mileage needs 0.9 hours spent looking at it including changing the oil and no more, thats what the book says. How can they possibly spend one hour 40 minutes inspecting your car whilst changing the oil? You have your invoice - if that states 1.6 hours labour on it, write to the dealer and enclose a copy of your letter from VW saying the servie is 0.9 hours and see what they come up with. If they argue they will be taking issue with VW UK, not you. I suggest you will get an apology and a cheque.

At least they only charged you for 4 litres of oil.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Oh deary deary me Marvin!

Charging you for 1.5 hours labour is fraud/theft at worst and taking the p*ss at best. How can you not challenge them on this? You seem ballsy enough with some of your posts on here (that's a compliment BTW) so go hunt them down and change their policies for all the other VW owners not as privileged as you in having expert advice on this forum. Please, please , please don't let them away with this.

Remember they messed up for you in two other areas.

1. Not stamping your service booklet is an unnacceptable inconvenience to you and shows another example if how unprofessional this dealer is.

2. My dealer charged me ?2.30 plus VAT for screen wash. They did however leave a bottle with about 80% left in it in the boot of the car as your's should have done.

Please sort this out and let us know, you'll sleep better at night - you know it [:D]

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you don't challenge them, they will continue to try it on and charge you more than they should.

I stated the facts to them before I booked it in(it goes in tommorow) and they are never best impressed when you know more than them. I was tempted to go out and get the service book and ask them how 6-8 jobs took 1.6 hours but I refrained from that.

Marvin, go and get your money back, and to make it worse, 1.5 hours is nowhere on the service schedule.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Come on Marvin, if you do not want a face showdown with them then at least write to the service manager along the lines in my earlier post enclosing a copy of your letter from VW.  I almost suggested you could enclose your service log for them to stamp but realised that they would probably loose it in the process.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A fool and his money etc - You are clearly not a fool so don't let therm commit fraud. If you don't want to talk to them, I don't mind speaking to them on behalf of my poor muddled up Grandpa [;)]
I shall be visiting them this afternoon to get the service book stamped and verified and shall bring up the matter of labour charges on my bill. Also I've noticed that when I interrogate the service indicator, now, it only shows a series of dashes for 'miles to service' and 'days to service'. Is this because I have only covered a few miles (40 or so) since it was reset? What would show if had been set to Time/Distance rather than variable service, which I was originally on?#

Otherwise, stop nagging me, all of you. I know you mean well, but it means I have to take more Valium, as I'm already stressed and my nerves are all shot to pieces!! My health is more important to me than, say, whether I've been overcharged by 0.6 hours labour!

[:)]

·
Registered
503 Posts
Marvin, I just wondered which dearlership it was because from my earlier posts it seems that we may frequent the same franchise, and maybe if someone else brings this discrepence to their notice they might start to realise that some of us are a bit more switched on to the offical service charges and may change their ways for the future (very long shot!).
Any chance we could get a electronic copy of the VW UK letter?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Marvin, I just wondered which dearlership it was because from my earlier posts it seems that we may frequent the same franchise, and maybe if someone else brings this discrepence to their notice they might start to realise that some of us are a bit more switched on to the offical service charges and may change their ways for the future (very long shot!).

Suffice it to say they have dealerships in both Bromley Kent and Sevenoaks, Kent both for VW and I have mentioned them in the Dealership forum where I had asked whether anyone else had experience of B****** Ltd.

I have just come back from spending over an hour with them and have had my service book stamped, wherein the following items were ticked:-

1) Oil change service
2) Interval service
3) Interval service Inspection

4) Brake Fluid change

etc,

I also brought up the subject of labour charges and showed them the VW letter (which I'll try to get here sometime soon) and they came back, eventually, with AN ELSA printout that showed 90 units of labour charges were required for my vehicle - stalemate, therefore.

Incidentally the chap I saw asked if he could take a photocopy of my VW letter but after all the to-ing and fro-ing of my car etc, realised that I did not get it back - still I have plenty of copies!

Whilst there, I also queried whether my car was still on variable servicing and one of the lads drove my car into their works and checked it on the VAG COM computer and this confirmed that it had been reset two days ago but had not yet done sufficient mileage to respond with any figures.

So there you have it!!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Marvin - stay off the drugs. The --- in the display just means that you have not done 500 miles since the service so it has yet to learn your driving habits.
Too late, I'm afraid as I am addicted to the blighters now after 35 years of consumption.

Thanks for the info. regarding the display. This has now been confirmed by the 'expert's at the dealership. See above/below?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Here's the letter - sorry about the quality - may try again later.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts