Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Does anyone know what should be carried out/checked on the first variable service ?
The exact details will be in your service booklet. Basically it is just an oil change.

Watch out for the cost though, some dealers are taking the wee wee!

It should cost ~£150 (I paid £135) and they should only charge 0.9 hours labour. Some are charging 1.6 hours.

Please post how you get on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up chaps i had it done a week ago and just got the invoice yesterday, As you have said it was mainly an oil change, i just wondered if they should of done more but did'nt as it was a free service (goodwill gesture from the salesman) FWIW it was £150's worth a pleasant change from my last TT service at @ £500 [cry]

·
Registered
503 Posts
But wait until you have the second variable service, with the DSG gearbox that requires an oil & filter change as well, my dad has just had this done at 40,000 miles & 2 years, cost him £550!! and a whole day off the road.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sorry I didn't make it clear.  The DSG gearbox oil & filter needs to be changed at 40,000 (which happened to be the mileage of his second variable service), also it was just coming up to 2 years so they 'suggested' that he had the brake fuild changed.  He had this done because it was convenient to have the all work done at the same time, this was all in addition to the service inspection charge.Another thing that he noted is that the dealers are now 'recommending' that you change your tyres at 3mm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I rang Abridge in Loughton last week for my 1st service (Longlife) currently 18000 miles they said i would need a full service and that came up to £290!! Shocking. I had a debate on how long the labour would be and they said 1.9 hours. I told them it should be 0.9 hours and have a look at ELSA if they didn't believe me. They started questioning how i have access to it. After spending 20minutes getting no where I decided to ring the VW dealer in Calais (in broken French) and they will charge me €138 (£93) all in with petrol and tunnel around £150, a saving of £140

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I rang Abridge in Loughton last week for my 1st service (Longlife) currently 18000 miles they said i would need a full service and that came up to £290!! Shocking. I had a debate on how long the labour would be and they said 1.9 hours. I told them it should be 0.9 hours and have a look at ELSA if they didn't believe me. They started questioning how i have access to it. After spending 20minutes getting no where I decided to ring the VW dealer in Calais (in broken French) and they will charge me €138 (£93) all in with petrol and tunnel around £150, a saving of £140
Well at least someone else here has been quoted a similar figure to that which I've been quoted, for my first service to be done on the 31st Oct. (£250). Mind you, I've got that letter from VW to hand which states/confirms that 0.9hours should be the labour required and I'll show them this after the event.

And, Oh my first problem with the car (of sorts) yesterday. When I opened the driver's door and got in I noticed that my computer's display was just glowing a dull red with no data on it - damn! However it suddenly reappeared a mile or so later and has been OK since. However I'll mention this glitch to them and have it entered on my records - I knew this honeymoon period wouldn't last forever.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I rang Abridge in Loughton last week for my 1st service (Longlife) currently 18000 miles they said i would need a full service and that came up to £290!! Shocking. I had a debate on how long the labour would be and they said 1.9 hours. I told them it should be 0.9 hours and have a look at ELSA if they didn't believe me. They started questioning how i have access to it. After spending 20minutes getting no where I decided to ring the VW dealer in Calais (in broken French) and they will charge me €138 (£93) all in with petrol and tunnel around £150, a saving of £140
The people there are over-charging you - its a simple as that but there is no need to go to the extreme of leaving the country. If you are prepared to travel a bit in the UK there a plenty of dealers willing to carry out this first service for a reasonable fee.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When i discussed it with someone senior in the service department, he said that if i rang dealers around London I would be charged around the same and that they are only charging what others are charging.

As I live in London going to Calais isn't so bad as its only like 90 miles away and a 2 hour journey plus its half term so no work. It is a bit drastic but people who live near London should think about not giving these dealers more money than they deserve and go to Calais, go on a booze run at the same time.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
When i discussed it with someone senior in the service department, he said that if i rang dealers around London I would be charged around the same and that they are only charging what others are charging.
Of course they would say that would they not?

If you are serious about going to europe I would think about it carefully. An alternative is to use Wayside in St Albans, just up the A1. They charge £114.99 for a lubrication service on the time/distance regime. In other words they willnot use Longlife oil and you will need it serviced again in 12 months time. However the second service (t & d) is £177.92 with them so less than £300 over the next two years.

I am booked in there next week for my second service. Their number is 01727 890100.

These prices are in writing from them as I sat down with their service receptionist and she wrote them down for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my local vw dealers (corkills in wigan) say my gti's first service is a lubrication service, consisting of a full car check, any moving parts e.g doors axel parts etc lubing up and oil and filter replacement costing just £85

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
my local vw dealers (corkills in wigan) say my gti's first service is a lubrication service, consisting of a full car check, any moving parts e.g doors axel parts etc lubing up and oil and filter replacement costing just £85
That is a good price for what I'm guessing is a fixed service at 10k miles. The long life oil on it's own is ~£50 I believe.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
my local vw dealers (corkills in wigan) say my gti's first service is a lubrication service, consisting of a full car check, any moving parts e.g doors axel parts etc lubing up and oil and filter replacement costing just £85
These people in Wigan seem to do everything for you at below rock bottom prices Jeff - I am getting jealous!

·
Registered
206 Posts
These people in Wigan seem to do everything for you at below rock bottom prices Jeff - I am getting jealous!
I rang Wigan for a quote for a first interval service and was quoted £210.

The only reason I done this was I went to Blackburn to book mine in next week for its first "Inspection Service" & she looked at the board and said £199.

There is no way I was paying £200 for an oil change.

I asked her what the book time on the job was and she said 1.9 hours, which when I pushed her dropped to 1.6 hours and when I told her I was quoted £135 as the labour should be 0.9 hours, she asked for some back up from another girl at the desk.She said it must have been time & distance oil change that I was quoted for and they couldn't possibly do it for that price, but that is all the first variable service is!!! I mentioned ELSA, and I got a look as if I had 2 heads and then the excuse of I have only been here 2 months. She brought up the menu pricing and low and behold it says Lab Hours 0.9.

So I said I wasn't making it up @ £135 and I asked for a print out so she scurried off to the service manager, to check as I wanted proof.

Why oh why do you have to work so hard to get the right thing done, without people trying to fleece you!

I am really worried now about leaving the car to get the service done and what may potentially happen to it!

Am tempted to take the morning off work now and sit with it! Am I being paranoid?[*-)]

PS does anyone know what Part No: 1K2819653A Follen Filter is @ £20.62, this was on the printout and she scribbled it off ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
it even says on the service board behind their desk 1st gervice (lubrication service) £85 quid haha, the walleys

as for the follen filter, i guess its a typo mistake and should read Pollen Filter, this it a filter for the air entering the cabin

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry that was my rubbish typing, it did say Pollen Filter.1K2819653A, but there was another Pollen Filter 1K0819644A @£10.21

Is there a difference?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
it even says on the service board behind their desk 1st gervice (lubrication service) £85 quid haha, the walleys

as for the follen filter, i guess its a typo mistake and should read Pollen Filter, this it a filter for the air entering the cabin
As far as I am aware the lubrication service is just that: change the filter, engine oil and grease the door hinges. The inspection service is more than that, they inspect the car and replace the pollen filter.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That is a good price for what I'm guessing is a fixed service at 10k miles. The long life oil on it's own is ~£50 I believe.
At £85 for a first lubrication service its almost worth travelling some distance as it must be the cheapest VW franchise in the whole country.

It would be interesting to know what their hourly labour charge is ?

Even at 0.9 hours & trade costs I cannot see any real profit even excluding the 'full car check' bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts