Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its came that time, after 17k miles for my 1st service.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I have 2 local dealers in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Edinburgh</st1:City>, Western Volkswagen and <st1:place w:st="on">Western Edinburgh</st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>

My preferred choice would be west edin as they are way better at customer service and prob quality of service from what I?ve have here of the 2. So I went down to them and asked "How much would it be for my 1st service for my 2.0 GT TDI long life 17k miles"?.....?240. Sir!<o:p></o:p>

Ok a bit steep I thought but I did spend about 18K on the car so can?t expect to keep it up for peanuts. <o:p></o:p>

I also wanted to know how mutch west vw where going to charge me, so I called them, no one could take my call in the servicing department so I was asked for my no for someone to call me back, (no one ever did) so after 4 days and 5 phone calls to them I asked to speak to the service department manager, I got through right away! I told him that I was not happy that I didn?t receive a phone call back to arrange my service ;-), anyway I asked him how much would it cast and he quoted me ?140!!!! - I was taken of guard and book in my car for Monday.<o:p></o:p>

Then I started to think why the ?100 difference? I called West Edin and told them about the ?140 I was quoted, the guy said to me that it was a good deal and he thought I should take it, he also said that there normal price is ?240, as they are basically doing 2 services on the car as its long life. He also was saying that the oil is expensive and said that alone would cast about ?10 a litre (i.e., 5 litres in the car).<o:p></o:p>

So am left in /that/ funny place you don?t want to be with your 18K car, I am happy to be paying only ?140, but would rather have the other garage do it, and would my car be getting the same level of service and care for ?100 less ???<o:p></o:p>

Dose any one know what I SHOULD be paying and what there experiences have been? Ta<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hi Silvo - I'm in Edinburgh too.

Could you please advise which one used to be Sloans and which one is at Fort Kinnaird? I'll refer to one as Sloans in this post to avoid confusion.

Before I bought the Golf I phoned both dealers to ask for prices. Western were a bit vague as they didn't have the price on their computer but quoted ~?170. Sloans on the other hand had their system set up and quoted ?140 for the 1st long life service.

Now I thought that was a big difference but ?100 is crazy.

As to them saying they are almost doing 2 services, that is rubbish. If you compare the first oil change service (non long-life) to the first long life one you will see there is not much difference.

I would defo go for the cheaper one. They are part of the same group now remember so you would expect the customer service and quality of work to be similar.

I would appreciate though if you didn't spend too much time telling the cheaper garage that their sister organisation in the same town was ?100 more expensive as I will be heading for the cheap dealer in a few months time!

Let us know how you get on.

It might be worthwhile everyone knowing 2 pieces of information:

1. How much labour do VW say should be charged for the first service?

2. What has everyone else paid?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think its to do with it being long life servicing, IE, more work involved,

Your 1st service was prob just a minor service where as the next one you do will prob be a mager service witch will prob cast you double. I could be wrong so if I am let me know.

Silvio

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Got my service book out and here is a summary of what is done in the first long-life "interval" service:

1. Change engine oil & filter - long life oil used

2. Vehicle system check - I imagine they hook up a PC to check ECU for fault codes

3. Check battery - waste of time this one!

4. Check tread depth & pressure - Eh. I can do that. in fact I do it every week or so!

5. Replace dust & pollen filter

6. Check brake pad thickness - do they remove wheels to do this?

7. Reset service indicator

8. Put a sticker in the door - what's the point of that when the car can tell you.

For an oil change service, i.e. non-long life

1. Change oil & filter - not long life oil

2. Check brake pad thickness

3. Reset service interval - tells you how to do this in the manual using trip reset buttons

4. Sticker.

So if a long-life service is ?240 they really are reaming you. Those jobs can only take an experienced tech ~30minutes. Even if the oil is ?50 and the pollen filter is ?10 that is still ?180 in labour, a total rip-off[:mad:]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Firth things first. Forget about the MKIV in this situation. It's irrelevant.

I too was offered two prices by my stealer. My service warning came up at about 14K. The first price was about ?200 cheaper and was just an oil and filter change, the second being the longlife service.

So I went with the longlife service, including having wiper blades changed and now on my door frame it says next service not due until 2007! Happy days...

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are unhappy with the service your are getting from VW dealers in the Edinburgh area, try WITHERSPOONS at Sighthill,Edinburgh (new premises been open about 4 months) they are an authorised independent VW service agent, authorised to carry out warranty work. with full VW backing.

THE PHONE NUMBER IS 0131 4585444

I do not think SLOANs in Gorgie Road still exists I belive they were taken over by WESTERN.

I have a new GTI and they will be doing my 1st service,

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That is good information red GTI200.

Have you had work done by them previously? Please post how much they are charging for a service.

Congrats also on the GTI, where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used the old sloans for the last service on my Bora.

They overcharged me for work that didn't need to be done on my car and had to be reminded quite a few times to return the excess money. Eventually got it back but no apology etc.

Never again - I'll be trying the Witherspoons at the end of the road! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes been going to WITHERSPOONS for about 2 years when i got fed up of Sloans.

They serviced my GTI Mk4 20v 150BHP. I got my new GTI from Camerons of Perth about 3 months ago,

Bog standard 3 door Red manual gear box, nothing wrong with manual box but in retrospect probably should have gone for DSG but didn't

they have had it back to sort out a wee ding in the rear panel and badly fitting plastic bits along the sills at the rear wheels. For this work to be done my car was picked up by Witherspoons and delivered on a transporter to Perth and i was given a courtesy car. I have only done 2000 miles in this new Golf so far.

I had an oil and filter change when I had done 1000 miles, Yes i know there is no need but i am old fashioned ,

Witherspoons use Shell ultra X (fully synthetic) which costs ?63.63 +VAT.

Will get servicing costs for and post them for you, I might even be able to negotiate a discount.

WITHERSPOONS is run by the guy that owns the garage and not some manager working for a big organisation.

I do not always think cost should be the prime consideration, but knowing the work has been done properly is as important

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yes been going to WITHERSPOONS for about 2 years .
How long ya been workin there?

Back on topic, had mine serviced today, was quoted a few bills over ?200, and charged ?155 that included new wiper blades which were about ?20 [Y]. Woman who booked me in thought it was a mk4 so it must be more expensive

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I found out from my local $tealer about the cost of servicing (?240 for the 1st, ?270 for the 2nd) I went the service package route. I pay ?12.53 a month to cover three years servicing.

I do think its expensive though, my previous BMW 330 cost less to service over three years than a VW.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If your MKV is under 1 yr old when the first variable service is due the book time for the service is 0.9 so ?140 sounds abou right.........

..........If it is nearer 2 tyrs old the book time is 1.6(because it gets an inspection service) so it would be nearer ?200

·
Registered
6 Posts
Servicing costs form WITHERSPOONS Edinburgh.

Long Life 1st Service ?189.13 inc VAT (Every 2 years)

Time and Distance 1st Service ?113.08 inc VAT (Annually)

Witherspoons is shown on the VW website . VW.co.uk

If you say you are a member of GTI Mk5's you will get 10% discount off the total bill. Or print this email and take it with you

So discount price is ?170.22 & ?101.78 respectively

Any problems when you make contact ask for Kevin Witherspoon he is the BOSS.

Witherspoon Volkswagen Ltd.

11a Bankhead Crossway North

Edinburgh EH11 4DT

Tel No 0131 458 5444

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.