Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my car end of March 2006, yesterday I noticed the service in XXX miles display come on for a few seconds, at 1st I thought it said 7000miles but after checking again it was actually 700 miles!

I have covered 10.5 k so far, this seems somewhat less than what the service sticker suggests ( Mar 2007 or 20K) , on the service system at the dealers I noticed the screen indicates service at 19k.

Is this a fault ?

What sort of price is a 1st service on the long life regime?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You may well have the "bug" with your service indicator. Mine had it as have many other people on here. Might be worth asking the dealer if it needs reset.

Price for first service seems to vary wildly, so shop around. I've been quoted ?135 from my dealer, I'm a bit suspicious of this though as many people have paid over ?200!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You may well have the "bug" with your service indicator. Mine had it as have many other people on here. Might be worth asking the dealer if it needs reset.

Price for first service seems to vary wildly, so shop around. I've been quoted ?135 from my dealer, I'm a bit suspicious of this though as many people have paid over ?200!
I think that, despite what my service indicator says at the moment at (7,000 miles covered in months) i.e 'Service reqd at 11,000 miles or 341 days' that I will just have the 1st service done anyway in June or July this year as I think that is quite long enough for the original oil to have been swilling around in the engine and it is also a nicer time of the year to visit the dealer etc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks to you both for replying, I had called the dealer and asked for the price of time/distance and long life 1st service.

LL was 240ukp iirc t/d was 95 for and oil change.

Thanks to you both for replying.

After mentioning what the car was indicating and notifying them of what I have seen on the system (19k for 1st service), he offered to reset the service indicator, however I may have the oil changed and see from there....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Avanti,

Had mine done back end of last week with 12.5K on and it was ?168 basically ?100 for labour, a couple of filters, bit of screenwash and oil + VAT.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Avanti,

Had mine done back end of last week with 12.5K on and it was ?168 basically ?100 for labour, a couple of filters, bit of screenwash and oil + VAT.
Hi JamesR,

How many litres of Oil did they charge you for?

Thanks,

Colm

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Have you checked it yourself?

Easily done when you get into the car.

1. Put in key.

2. Turn key until dash lights up - don't start car.

3. press and hold the trip reset button until "xxxx miles to service", followed a few seconds later with "or in xxx days"

Post back when you've tried it but anything up to 18k miles is the norm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi JamesR/Dsgwagen,

The reason I asked was because I got overcharged by my dealer for my first service. They also had the nerve to put down on the invoice 5ltrs of oil when the car only holds 3.8 - according to the manual anyway. If they've only charged 24 + vat, say nothing!
Wink [;)]

Good luck,

Colm

·
Registered
894 Posts
Another option is to get the car serviced by a Skoda dealer, same parts, same company, half the labour cost and the warranty is still valid
Assuming a Skoda dealer followed the VW service schedule exactly it would be down to the hourly labour rate charged by that dealer as opposed to the VW dealer.

If you're quoting from experience can I ask what kind of hourly rate did they charge as ' half the labour cost ' would concern me that perhaps the job wasn't being done to the full schedule.

Thats a huge difference in costs for a business to absorb.

·
Registered
141 Posts
[If you're quoting from experience can I ask what kind of hourly rate did they charge as ' half the labour cost ' would concern me that perhaps the job wasn't being done to the full schedule.
I had my Mk IV 1.8T serviced by a Skoda dealer and the labour cost was ?47 an hour, all the parts are exactly the same, but even some of them were cheaper, they also delivered and collected and left me with a courtesy car for free

·
Registered
894 Posts
Interesting aside I was reading a test report today on the new Skoda Octavia VRS v GTI v Focus ST.

The servicing costs for the GTI were ?220 cheaper than the new VRS ( which uses the GTI engine ) costed over the first three services.

That makes a change for VW.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts