Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just got the warning light saying my cars due a service [:(]

Phones my supplying dealer, who quoted me ?160 for the first inspection service

Phoned dealer in Darlington who are closer and was quoted ?235!!

How can the cost vary so much? As I have been quoted ?160.. can the dealer do the service then try and charge me the more expensive rate?

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there prices were more expensive the nearer to London I phoned.
That must be it then ... Darlington is only 250odd miles to london... while Durham is nearer 270 miles [:D]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
there prices were more expensive the nearer to London I phoned.
That must be it then ... Darlington is only 250odd miles to london... while Durham is nearer 270 miles [:D]
Cracked it, why not drive to Scotland, they might give you money.

I think you realise my point was closer to major Cities and alike.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i get your point mate... Just rang round the other dealerships nearby and they are all ?235

I think it must be because they are all the same franchise (lookers) and the one up in Durham is a single dealer...

I am still not sure if VW in Durham have given me the correct price.. but i asked them to put it on the system and I kept the womans name etc etc so I can shout if they try and charge me more

Also no doubt they wont be able to find the noisy starter motor, Clicking A/C and Crazy rear wiper.. but thats another story lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
For a start it could well be one dealer is quoting 0.9 hours labour whilst the other is using 1.6 hours for basically the same service.

If you read through the threads on the ' Longlife Service Regime' sticky ( page 2 ) you'll see some dealers seem to be confused on the first inspection service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my mate paid ?180 for his mk5 to get serviced 4 weeks ago so i booked mine in the week after n got charged ?278!! both in for there 1st long life services and both cars under 12mths old. dealer has finally agreed to refund the difference but i still havnt seen the cheque.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
For a start it could well be one dealer is quoting 0.9 hours labour whilst the other is using 1.6 hours for basically the same service.
There are loads of dealers out there who charge 1.6 when they should be charging 0.9 (I only charge 1.6 when its a lease company paying for it[:D])

Our labour rate & oil price has gone up recently so we are now charging ?145 for a 1st Variable Service

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't think the people on the desk know themselves!

I rang up my 2 local dealers in Preston & Blackburn for a first service out of curiousity, not that the car needs it yet, and was quoted ?170 in Preston and I asked the book time and she said 0.9 hours. Went right see ya later. Spoke to Blackburn & they said ?185 and the book time was 1.9 hours!!![:O] When I questioned it it came down to ?130 at 0.6 hours and the excuse was, the Touran service time had changed so she thought the Golf one did also!! WTF If I had wanted the price of a Touran service, I would have asked for it!!

Who knows what goes on in these places![:mad:]

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2.0 TDi Golf's first 1st service 4 weeks ago by the supplying dealer in Dublin-Belgard Motors -It cost me a whopping ?400. I phoned another dealer-Bradys-also in Dublin- to see how much the cost would have been with them-the dealers are about 5 miles apart. Bradys quoted me ?235 for the same service. The things is Bradys used to service my A3 but I left them as they did not call me back after 3 attempts to book my A3 in for a service-so I took the A3 to Belgard-who I then promptly bought my new Golf off. I wrote to Belgard complaining of the charges but they did not reply. I am planning on buying a new Tourag next year but will not buy it off Belgard now.

Why are dealers so greedy and so short sighted?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Dealers will always try to get the most money from customers for their servicing. Deal with it. If you don't query it or agree a price up front, there's a chance you'll end up paying more.

Fortunately, I found that they also would rather get your business than another dealer so just ring a few up, ask them what's their lowest charge, if it's the same as another dealer, ask them if they'll beat it to secure your custom, etc. etc.

I found that just one email to 3 dealers resulted in my local VW dealer reducing their service charge from about £260 to £190 plus they put 4 new tyres on for the cheapest price I'd found online. No dealer is going to turn down a couple of hundred pounds worth of business for the sake of a little discount.

Check out http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/vwgolfmk5_third_service_deal.php for my car's third service price-reducing dealer experience.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The lesson is - get a fixed price quote for the work before agreeing. In fact get several.There are no 'unknown elements' to the first service as any failure will be covered under warranty. Sometimes you will find that he billed amount is slightly less than the quote (but should never be more).

·
Registered
44 Posts
All you need on the first service is an oil change (check the owners manual). This should be 0.9 hours labour + 3.8 litres of oil, filter, & plug washer. This should cost under ?130 from a franchised dealer. Don't let them "inspect" the car or change any other filters if the car is less than 2 years old. It is not required and is not specified in the owners manual.

I was quoted ?280 from my local dealer and decided to go elsewhere.

Check the longlife service thread for more info.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Interesting.. Every dealer I spoke to seems to think they need to change the pollen filter & inspect the brakes (pads & discs).I'm supplying my own oil (bought a load of Castrol SLXII off eBay cheap) so that should bring the cost down considerably.Also booked it into a dealership as far away from London as I could go in an afternoon... I might as well make a nice day out of it with the money i'll save.Should save in the region of ?120 off normal London prices. That should buy me & the missus some quality Fish & Chips!?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Most people ask for a quote for an 'inspection service' or 'first service' or something like that. If the car is around a year old you can save a lot of money by asking for an oil change. Nothing more, nothing less. This is sometimes known as a lubrication service and can be had for under ?100 (check post from kmpowell about a month ago). You will not get a comprehensive inspection of the car, althouigh they do often look it over even on this type of service. Not sure that every dealership will quote for this though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
All you need on the first service is an oil change (check the owners manual). This should be 0.9 hours labour + 3.8 litres of oil, filter, & plug washer. This should cost under ?130 from a franchised dealer. Don't let them "inspect" the car or change any other filters if the car is less than 2 years old. It is not required and is not specified in the owners manual.

I was quoted ?280 from my local dealer and decided to go elsewhere.

Check the longlife service thread for more info.
An oil change service is charged at 0.7, not 0.9. A 1st Variable Service on the MKV/Touran/New Passat etc is charged at 0.9 when the pollen filter is changed also.

Pollen filters are due to be changed every 20k

·
Registered
423 Posts
Had mine serviced today at EuroCanterbury in Kent.
First Variable Service at 14,637 Miles
Total Invoice was for: ?184.52
This included Oil Filter Change, Pollen Filter Change, Bottle of Screenwash, Plug (whatever that was for?), Brakes Inspection, They also swapped Front Wheels to Rear at same time, Labour & a Mini Valet.
I supplied my own Castrol SLX II Longlife Oil (4 Litres) which I bought on eBay for ?20.
Saved over ?120 on London prices!!
Next service is projected to be at 34,637 Miles... !

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Had my 1st service at around 15000 miles and was overcharge but got the money back ( thanks to this thread ! ). Am currently on 29000 miles so I guess the next one will be coming up soon-ish

·
Registered
423 Posts
They charged me for 2 hours labour for the service + full inspection (including brake pads & discs) + topping up all fluid levels + Filters (Pollen Filter was ?20 on its own!)... Then there was the dreaded VAT on top of everything... But what I thought was a slight rip-off was the fact that they sold screenwash for ?2 in their showroom yet charged me ?2.09 on the invoice + labour time for pouring it + VAT on top again! Not surprising to be honest coz that's called business!
All in all happy coz compared to 2 dealerships in London where I was quoted ?300+ the savings meant I had a nice day out in Canterbury.
Should be ok for another 2 years or 20,000 miles... whichever arrives first!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts