Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

19s or 18s.....can't decide??

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Essex Escy 
#1 ·
Ive wanted a set of 19" RS6 reps for ages for my 1.8T, but they are still pricey. 18s however are much more affordable, but i dont really want to settle for 'second best' if ya know what i mean.

I know that 19s look the nuts and fill out the arches well, but anyone on here with 19s found that the handling suffers a lot, and maybe switched to 18s because of that? Am i better of going for the 18s after all?

#9 ·
for what its worth IMO 19" is too big for a small car like a Golf.

I think 18" is spot on.

Doesnt look too Over the Top either which i think 19s can.

Also your cars going to get slower and mpg down going upto

19" rims, their pretty heavy i think.

But of course each to their own!

#10 ·
Quote: posted by spg on 07/12/2004 13:14:30

I think 18" is spot on.

19" rims are not much heavier than 18's, it depends on who makes the wheel and what alloy of metals they have used which contribute to the weight.

Also have you seen the size of the arches on the golf they swallow 19'S perfectly?

#11 ·
Quote: posted by cage on 07/12/2004 16:31:21

Quote: posted by spg on 07/12/2004 13:14:30

I think 18" is spot on.

19" rims are not much heavier than 18's, it depends on who makes the wheel and what alloy of metals they have used which contribute to the weight.

Also have you seen the size of the arches on the golf they swallow 19'S perfectly?

Totally Agree Mate...[:)]

#12 ·
If you want to fcup up the handling of your glof, fit 18 or 19" wheels. I wouldn't reccomend going over 17's unless you go for a superlight wheel. It may look cool to some of you, but the extra unsprung weight will ruin the handling.

#13 ·
I would say it depends on whether you want 'show' or 'go'..

The 18"s would be the drivers choice as the ride would be more comfortable and you can still lower the car quite a way without the wheels hitting the arches..

The 19"s would look the bizzness tho! You will need to sort the front arches if you intend to go really low.

My choice would be 19"s!!

[:D]

#17 ·
i can not understand that at all. ive recently took my 18's off and im running on vw stock 15's and the ride comfort is superb! it feels so comfy and MUCH less harsh on the 15's. Even much so that im seriously considering running around on 15's or maybe some new 16's for winter and using my new 18" rims for shows/summer time.

#25 ·
One aspect you guys are forgetting is tyre size. This can make a massive difference in the way a wheel looks. As an example an 18" wheel can look like a 19" wheel if you run 215 or 225/35/18 rubber as the lower profile fools the eye into thinking the wheel is bigger than it is. Also the rolling diameter is less which makes for better acceleration

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.