Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I see any indication of the traction control kicking in on the
dash? Do I even have traction control as standard? (I don't seem
to have a button for it above the cup holders)

My last car (Leon Cupra) would flicker the traction symbol all the
time....but maybe that's because it was trying to control more power
(180BHP). Perhaps I haven't lost enough grip in the Golf
yet....it's pretty grippy but I have accellerated over wet man holes
which the Leon would have had a fit over.

Braggy

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
99 models don't have traction control as far as I know, mine doesn't anyway
Hmm, that's interesting as i thought the older turbos (AGU) had ASR, so when DID ASR actually become standard?

On another note mate, mine does flicker the control light if i lose traction. Mine's an AUM and has ESP. [:)]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
All you will have is EDL and that only works up to 25 MPH and will use the ABS to brake a spining wheel to make the diff transfer the drive to the other wheel.

Much better as the VW stock traction control is too fierce and cuts too much power. The only traction control I have is my right foot. [:D]

If you really need it, have an aftermarket proper traction control fitted like the RaceLogic system, that allows adjustable traction slip in controlled steps.

Paul

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No traction control wasn't fitted to '99 1.8ts. I think it was fitted in 2000/2001 IIRC.
I think I can confirm what Mart wrote after looking here under Driver Aids:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/specs/options.aspx?model_id=1031&id=14126

Seems to be a ?180 option from Nov 1999 to Feb 2000. Presumably they were standard from then on.

Thanks everyone...and take it easy if you don't have Traction Control!
Smile [:)]

Braggy
Sorry, ignore me on this.....I mis-read it...this is for cruise control. (Duh!)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All you will have is EDL and that only
works up to 25 MPH and will use the ABS to brake a spining wheel to
make the diff transfer the drive to the other wheel.

Much better as the VW stock traction control is too fierce and cuts
too much power. The only traction control I have is my right foot. [:D]

If you really need it, have an aftermarket proper traction control
fitted like the RaceLogic system, that allows adjustable traction slip
in controlled steps.

Paul
Found under Brakes on this Web page:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/specs/options.aspx?model_id=1031&id=14126

EDL was standard until Sep 2002 then ASR

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
My 99 AGU didnt have traction control but had EDL as mentioned above. It was fine, only did it at low speeds and wasnt intrusive.

On my 03 AUQ tho, it has traction control (no ESP tho) and its awful... incredibly intrusive, cuts power massively which often causes more bother than it solves!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Never noticed this EDL before. Last time I span the front wheels when it was raining and I was doing about 10mph and had to floor it as a bus began to pull out. All I got was wheel spin and the front wheels bouncing.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Think I probably got one of the last AGU's, a 2000 model.  It didn't have any form of traction control and I shelled out quite a chunk to get the Racelogic system after I had the car chipped.  The Racelogic is a decent bit of kit but in hindsight I don't think that any form of TC is required round the 200 bhp mark.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have researched this before and this is the correct spec for age(ignore motoring guides as they are nearly always wrong regards MKIV specs)

Cars built upto Sept 2000, 1.8T had EDL as standard. This stands for electronic differential lock and (as stated in another post) uses ABS sensors to brake individual wheels but only works upto 25mph.

From October 2000 until May 2002, 1.8T had ASR fitted. This stands for anti-slip regulation which acts as a form of traction control and works at any speed. As many owners have found, this system can be quite agressive but imo depends alot on individual car(ie. stock/chipped)

From May 2002 onwards; ESP was fitted as standard to all MKIVs(incl. 1.8T). This is full electronic stability protection that that uses complex sensors to monitor potential understeer/oversteer in addition to ASR.

Note that EDL was not switchable unlike ASR/ESP.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have researched this before and this is the correct spec for age(ignore motoring guides as they are nearly always wrong regards MKIV specs)

Cars built upto Sept 2000, 1.8T had EDL as standard. This stands for electronic differential lock and (as stated in another post) uses ABS sensors to brake individual wheels but only works upto 25mph.

From October 2000 until May 2002, 1.8T had ASR fitted. This stands for anti-slip regulation which acts as a form of traction control and works at any speed. As many owners have found, this system can be quite agressive but imo depends alot on individual car(ie. stock/chipped)

From May 2002 onwards; ESP was fitted as standard to all MKIVs(incl. 1.8T). This is full electronic stability protection that that uses complex sensors to monitor potential understeer/oversteer in addition to ASR.

Note that EDL was not switchable unlike ASR/ESP.
So how do account for my 2000 (W) having ESP ?? And it is not switchable !!

·
Registered
798 Posts
There's no way ESP was even an option on '00MY car.

Never noticed this EDL before
Wait until it snows, then you will...the power is cut to wheels because there is zero traction and it's accompanied by a loud metallic crunching sound.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts