Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm a newbie on here but I've been reading the forum for about two weeks.

I put a deposit down on a 1999 T golf 1.8 Turbo tonight and thought I'd better register and ask about the pitfalls to owning one!

What do I need to look out for? And modifying - would just a chip make a difference or do ireally need to go down the filter and exhaust mode (I want to keep it as stock looking as possible as it's for my work).

Now from a brief search it looks like I've bought a very early motor (agu?) - please can someone reassure me that I've not bought a total dog!).

Many thanks

Oi_Oi

·
Registered
342 Posts
Chip makes a huge difference

Still the best bang per buck you can get

Any of the companies mentioned on here will give you good results with slightly variable power delivery the only difference

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Welcome to the forum [^]

Don't worry about your engine being a dog, all the 1.8t are very good engines. VW have made some improvements over the years but you will certainly find the agu tuneable.

Best chip for your engine is gonna be the upsolute, its a good combination of cost and power.

Why not come along to our London meet this Sunday and get some ideas

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51749

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hi mate. The main thing IMO to look out for off the top of my head i think would be to make sure it has been serviced properly and regularly at the correct intervals, preferably from a VAG dealership. As far as modifying goes, there are a lot of routes you can take, so plenty of room for individuality there, it's just a case of how much you have to spend!

A chip DOES make a lot of difference, a mate of mine had a free APR trial on his and he loved it.. Yours will be the AGU engine but Upsolute will be better for your engine than APR or REVO, but having said that, with more power comes the need for bigger brakes and uprated suspension!

Filterwise, i think the Carbonio would be the best option for any MK4 and to compliment it for best results you could always go for a full hi-flow cat exhaust system to top it all off. But believe me, as long as you check the service history and all is OK, these MK4's are good for 125k plus with no major problems!

I Hope this advice helps and i'm sure some of the other guys will jump on here aswell to give you more of the same..

P.S. Welcome to the forum mate! [:D]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Zekegti for the invitation but I'm organisinga Welsh St David's day wee wee up on Saturday night so I'm not going to be fit to do anything Sunday.

The problem I face is that any mods i do will have to be unnoticeable as the car is primarily for work.

What's an upsolute (www.upsolute.com?)?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Upsolute is like APR, REVO and the likes, it's a chip, an ECU remap usually via the diagnostic port which makes your engine produce more power, torque and generally gives better fuel economy. Upsolute costs in the region of around ?305 or there abouts (please correct me guys if i'm wrong) and if i remember correctly, the guy even comes to your house or place of work to sort it out and fit it for you! Not bad eh?! [^]

·
Registered
580 Posts
Get yourself down to your revo dealer ask for the free trial and have some real fun ! That was one of the first thing i did when i got my golf !

·
Registered
798 Posts
Quote: posted by Bazrazmataz on 24/02/2005 22:07:39

Get yourself down to your revo dealer ask for the free trial and have some real fun ! That was one of the first thing i did when i got my golf !

Free trial isn't available for the AGU throttle cable cars

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote: posted by Bazrazmataz on 24/02/2005 22:07:39

Get yourself down to your revo dealer ask for the free trial and have some real fun

i don't think there is a free trial for DBW models

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Welcome to the forum Oi_Oi [^]

Whats this about the early AGU being a dog [:D] I dont think having bigger cylinder head ports for better breathing than the other 1.8T`s constitutes being a dog [;)] Only real difference with the AGU is that the throttle is cable driven and the ECU isnt flashable! a new chip has to be phisicaly soldered into the ECU! I chose Upsolute as fitted by Simon Coe from CCCtech www.ccctech.co.uk for the bargain price of ?305 [;)]

Could we have some more details on your car?? milage and spec??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your replies everyone.

As far as further spec is concerned - I can't say much at this stage as I haven't actually picked it up yet and when I saw it last night it was a) at night, b) raining and c) I'd had a pretty crap day but sometimes you've just got to go with your instinct and mine was to buy it.

But it is a 1999 T Reg 1.8T 20v 5 door. It's done 44,000 miles (documented vwsh), metallic black, recaro cloth seats and climate control. Pictures etc etc as soon as I pick her up.

For anyone interested I also race - my website is; www.rgt-racing.com

(sorry if that bends the forum rules in any way).

I've got a Megane (sorry to blaspheme!) at the moment and the only thing I;ll miss from that pile of poo are the radio controls behind the steering wheel). The Megane was a company car and I got what I was given.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Paul is right, I have got a AGU engine and had to have a phisical chip fitted which made a massive difference to the car, as for brakes I fitted ATE disc's along with freado racing pads and find them very good this along with a cold air pick up and the car is just right for day to day stuff approx 200-220bhp. if you want a contact for the chip drop us an email.

Spencert I see you are in sunny Royston not many of us around here from what I can see.

·
Registered
557 Posts
check:

heated seats (if fitted)

Glove box closes and stays closed

aircon pump (if fitted)

electric windows (smoothness of operation and no dropsee)

Rear window washer isnt leaking

rear beam bushes

front suspension strut mounts

general squeaks and creaks

door alignment

Buy:

chip

brakes

CAI

Exhaust

Suspension (shocks and lowering springs or coilovers if your rich and use the car on track days!)

purchase, drive and enjoy

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

AGU are not dogs!!!

They are non-dbw (cable throttle), which most people actually prefer rather than a variable resistor (DBW).

As has been mentioned they offer more potential for large power Tuning, due to the head.

AGU's have the drawbacks that they don't have as sophisticated engine management system as the new cars, and lack a MAP sensor (for measuring boost). However, they also don't really suffer from coilpack problems. Working in the electronics industry, I now I prefer a car with less engine management than more, less to go wrong!!

I have chosen the Revo route to provide a switchable map. Revo on an AGU 1.8T is done by going to a Revo dealer. They will have to connect their laptop to the engine ECU (not a big job at all), you have to take the wiper arms off and a plastic ducting, that's all. They flash it and it's done!

You can optionally go for the SPS switch device, which allows you to s elect between the standard VW code or the Revo code. This plugs into the diagnostic connector which is found under the heater/climate control in the centre console inside the car. [very useful]

Revo may be expensive, but gives you great peace of mind if you get issues with your car, you can revert back to the stock code and see if it still occurs. All the problems I've had with my car have been nothing to do with Revo. But it means I can get onto the VW dealer to sort them out!!

It's well worth talking to Revo about the code for the AGU. Speak to Richard or Kev, both are on this forum revo_rich and revo_kev. They are very knowledge and enthusiastic!!

Here's my early rolling road output, comparing standard and Revo!

Posted Image

My advice would be the following:

You need to decide how much power you are looking for and what your budget is!!

The AGU comes with a K03 turbo, this turbo is only really good upto 205 BHP.

The next upgrade is a K03sport turbo, this is good for around 240 BHP.

Higher than this and an IHI turbo is the most logical, 300BHP+

Assuming you want to modify the car only slightly, here's what I would recommend!

1. Revo remap, will give you around 200BHP.

2.Get a green cotton panel filter to fit in the standard airbox. (carbino give you a lot of noise and not much else!)

3. Get a Miltek cat-back exhaust and either a sports cat or cat replacement pipe.

4. Brakes you can live with as long as you don't drive like a total maniac!!

5. Suspension, Ebaich anti-roll bars first, then if you want to improve further, coilovers.

6. Forge air intake pipe (airbox to turbo).

The list is endless TBH.

Hope some of this helps!! There's loads of info out there on the forum for AGU engined cars!

BTW, I have done only 1, 2, 3 of the above so far...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts