Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone

im about to buy some 18 anni wheels with 18/225/40 tyres and its just dawned on me - what about the spare.

At the mo the car runs monty2 wheels with 16/205/55 - the same on the spare. How do people go on with 18 anni wheels? presume the car would have a major lean on if i used that spare? The other thing the spare wheel well doesnt look much bigger - will i get an 18 in there or is a space saver job?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem in reality - as long as the circumference is almost identical on both wheels, the only difference being the width of the wheel. Spacesaver wheels are skinny but as they are the same circmference fit and work well (ok, so your not supposed to go over 50mph or something, they can still get you back home or to the nearest garageeasily enough).

An 18" wheel should still fit in the spare wheel well but will sit a little higher than the standard wheel. I'm awaiting my refurbed 18" RC to be delivered so that I can replace it with the 16" spare that I currently have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the reply just hoping the ride height looks ok as i dont fancy messing with the suspension :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is only a 0.83% difference in the overall size of the wheel and tyre,it wont affect the ride height at all really (well actually about 5.3mm).I have 17" Santa Monicas on mine and my spare is a 16" steely,You'll be fine[Y]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts