Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The advice in the filler cap and the handbook only lists tyre pressures for a 175/80 R14 88H, 195/65 R15 91V and 205/55 R16 91W.. What pressures should I be using for a lightly loaded and fully loaded 1.6 mk4 Golf with 185/70 R14 88H tyres fitted? All the tyre wall says is that the maximum pressure is 44PSI.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I can't find anything relevant on Google.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Those tyres are too small, they sound like the size off a Polo.

Start with 30 PSI, then adjust as you feel necessary. Too little grip at 30psi? Go down to 28. Fuel economy too poor at 30psi? Go up to 32.

Watch the wear on the tyre too, more wear in the middle means pressure too high, more wear on BOTH edges means too low pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those tyres are too small, they sound like the size off a Polo.

Start with 30 PSI, then adjust as you feel necessary. Too little grip at 30psi? Go down to 28. Fuel economy too poor at 30psi? Go up to 32.

Watch the wear on the tyre too, more wear in the middle means pressure too high, more wear on BOTH edges means too low pressure.
Thanks, that's interesting to know about them being too small. The rear ones are getting close to needing replacing so when they do I will have all four changed for something properly sized for the car.

I always wondered why the size didn't show up anywhere for the Golf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts