Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Funnily enough some guy had one yesterday when i was on my travels. He was ragging it round like it was the end of the world. Them forums are pathetic, look at them thinking its the next best thing since sliced bread.

They need to take a look at our forum!

·
Registered
906 Posts
That post did make me laugh. So many people on the site think the 182 is the best car in the world. Some people were getting a bit pi**ed off with some people

My mate has a nice black 182 and is a mod on the clio sport site.

·
Registered
175 Posts
just read that thread, class carlos. Nice to see the guy wasnt bitching about it. Seemed gutted when he found it wasnt an r32 though haha!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
A clio 182 will give a remapped 150 a run for it's money. I have driven the 182 and gotta say, what a car. However, I thought it was going to fall to pieces or I was going to fall through its flimsy door if I lent my arm on it.

The 182 will do 0-60 in 6.1 secs. It WILL outrun you on the corners as it sits on the road like glue.

It would be close, but I honestly think unless on a long run where you can gain on them once rolling, or a straight road, the clio would probably have the 150.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'm sure a mapped 150PD would take a 182. My mapped AGU didn't have any trouble [:D]

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98495
Dunno about 150/130PD's but my 1.8T, although being faster than 2 I have raced on the drag strip, was not in a totally different league, and my car has 240bhp. I doubt a 150/130 with a map would pull away from a 182 and also doubt the 182 would pull away from a Golf. In the corners though, no contest.

Lets face it, there is a mentality among some people that their chosen car is the best or better than X,Y or Z. At the end of the day, an M3 would waste both the 182 and Golf. An M5 would waste an M3. An SLR would waste an M5. And so it goes on.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Yeah, I got mine because I always wanted a Golf. Thne I found this place and then remaps, wheels and other stuff followed.

I only wanted a 1.4 or a 1.6, but the dealer had the GTI out front and didn't have anyone to have to take me out. So he let me a test drive on my own.

By the time got back I was sold.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Im just wondering if anyone on here has encounted a 182 on there travels?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154052
ROTFL! There are some "interesting" people out there, especially those that are saying the Clio 182 would smoke the GT TDI and those that are saying BHP is more important than torque.

I personally think it'll be very close given the Golf is hevier but devlops so much torque. The PD150 is more peaky and drives a bit more like a petrol than the other diesels in the mk4 range. The Clio is lighter.

I always love the way people do these I raced such and such and won and I'm great and my car is great, etc - pure comedy [:D]

·
Knows nothing about cars, even less about Golfs&#3
932 Posts
well in my relative short time on the boards, I've also seen a few "my car Vs" threads on here! lol

also nothing compares to some of the VW snobbery that also frequents on here [;)]

but saying that, still makes me chuckle

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
what about the guy who says golfs are just pieces of german crap , i mean , anyone who know s anything about cars knows that france produces THE worst cars out there today PERIOD

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had a few run ins with 172's when I had my ZS 180. The cars had almost identical performance. One of them I pulled v slightly away from, the other I couldn't get past him but was neck-a-neck!

I think the 0-60 time renault quote for the 182 is 7.1 not 6.1 seconds.

I saw a stripped out 172 (not cup) but everything stripped out of it do a 0-60 run at Croft a couple of weeks ago, pretty impressive, did 0-60 in 6.6 seconds, better than I thought it would do.

They do handle very well, and are pretty quick off the mark. I test drove a 182 and the noise and way it accelerated felt dull. It was quick but just smooth, and no sense of urgency, but when you looked at the speedo yeah it was going up quite quickly. I didn't get to take it on any country lanes in the test drive but have been in a 172 and the handling was great.

Not looked at the thread yet.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I love the way people jump and say how pathetic the thread is when I've seen threads on here almost identical; some idiotic comments but mostly sensible from the more experienced members.

I've no idea what would be quicker straight line, but in the corners it would be no contest at all. Evo did an article comparing a 182 Cup (I think) against an M6 around some twisty mountain roads, and it ran it amazingly close. Obviously the M6 was ahead in the straights but the Clio could catch it up both with breaking and cornering in the corners.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Agreed.

I can only speak having driven a TDi 130 and the Clio 182. In terms of straight line performance I think a remapped TDi 150 would have little problem with the Clio, and mine wouldn't be too far behind.

I used to think power to weight ratios were the be all and end all, physics say that the higher the power to weight, the greater the acceleration full stop.

Out on the road however, I've seen that it can be a different story. E.g. My TDi 130 should not be as fast as a peugoet 206 gti, which has more power and less weight. But the massive torque advantage does count for something on the road. I'm not sure how it works mathematically but after about 70 or 80 I had a distinct advantage, and I know the guy in the 206 would have been in the optimum gear as I know how he drives!

A standard TDi 130 has 310Nm torque compared to a clio 182 about 200Nm, not sure what the readings at the wheels will be due to the diesel having taller gearing? Has anyone got torque / power figures at the wheels for their diesel?

A remapped 150 must have approaching 400Nm torque, nearly double the torque and more power than a 182 in any case.

I am positive the diesel would win in a straight line, double the torque would easily outweigh the weight advantage of the Clio. Handling wise of course, there is no contest, clio wins hands down!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I test drove a PD105 mkv Golf van the other day and was quite surprised how quick it was for a 100bhp, it went to 100mph with ease, so torque does have some advantage on the road, it acts as a catapult.

·
Registered
366 Posts
what about the guy who says golfs are just pieces of german crap , i mean , anyone who know s anything about cars knows that france produces THE worst cars out there today PERIOD
Agreed, and im not being 'snobby' thats just a fact!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a remapped Anniversary so should be making 190-200bhp. A friend on mine has a Clio Trophy and I had a good go at him off a roundabout onto a stretch of dual carraigeway. He had the run off the roundabout (those things handle like you wouldn't believe) and pulled around a car length upto a ton. After a ton I was pulling on him and got past him by about 135.

I was two up and he was on his own so had we both been on our own it would have been even closer. He even admitted I was reeling him in which is a big admission when against a diesel. The Clios are very capable little cars but do seem to hit a brick wall at around 120.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts