Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there,

What tyre size is good to run on 17 x 7 rims?

My wheels came with 225/45/17 on them.

They are 5x112 fitment so i am running 15mm front and 20mm rear adaptors leaving them sitting close to flush all round.

So when the car goes on coilovers it looks like i might have some rubbing issues [*-)]

Anyone help me out one this one?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
225 are quite big for a 7j,

you could go for a 205 easily, its hardly stretched on my 8.5 so you would be fine, note brands stretch differently

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
225 are quite big for a 7j,

you could go for a 205 easily, its hardly stretched on my 8.5 so you would be fine, note brands stretch differently
Yea your right they are pretty big!

Sitting like a 4 x 4 at the mo [:$]

Anyone have any pics of 17 x 7 rims all set up with rubber?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Both 205/45 and 195/45 will put you over the recommended 2.5% change in rolling radius,meaning that your speedo will be out as well as affecting your gear ratios by essentially driving a smaller wheel.225/45's are the standard fit for Santa Monica OEM alloys which are also 7j.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The legal size in 17" is only 225 with a 45 profile for the mk4's. Keep in mind that the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination has to be the same as the original size....thats all that matters.....so any combination, as long as it is equivalent, will be fine (and legal). A 7" is ok for a 225 and it will fit and work perfectly....and look great too...it won't be sucked-in or anything nor will it look like a tractor! I prefer using 225 in 7" rims instead of 8" (or more)...there's still a little bit of rubber on the sides and it protecs the wheels when parking (hitting the curb).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The legal size in 17" is only 225 with a 45 profile for the mk4's. Keep in mind that the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination has to be the same as the original size....thats all that matters.....so any combination, as long as it is equivalent, will be fine (and legal). A 7" is ok for a 225 and it will fit and work perfectly....and look great too...it won't be sucked-in or anything nor will it look like a tractor! I prefer using 225 in 7" rims instead of 8" (or more)...there's still a little bit of rubber on the sides and it protecs the wheels when parking (hitting the curb).
Ok this is new to me and i had no idea that you can run illegal sized tyres!

Anyone have any pics of of some 17x7 with different tyre set ups?

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok this is new to me and i had no idea that you can run illegal sized tyres!

Anyone have any pics of of some 17x7 with different tyre set ups?

Thanks for the input
I don't understand your response...maybe I said something wrong?...maybe I am mistaken...I am talking about the size that's legal in my MK4 Golf in Spain...maybe it's different in the UK? Also, just based on looks alone, a 225/45/17 on a 7" rim will look almost identical as a 205/55/16 in a stock width 16" rim (6.5"?)...I mean how wide it looks sticking out of the rim on the sides...its almost like the stock set up. I personally like it like that...other prefer a more streched look. Also have to keep in mind that one size, but in different brands, will all fit and look different on the same rim.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am sorry, I just read about the 3% overall diameter difference stuff so as long as the new tire/wheel combination's overall diameter does not go over/under 3% of the factory's overall diameter then you're fine...and legal.

Once I wanted to replace my 16" with 17"x7" and use 205/50/17 on them and the knucklehead and the inspection station told me I couldn't...that it was illigal!...said only 225/45 for 17's! [:mad:] I just went to that online calculator and compared and it's still whithin the 3% requirement...so therefore, legal [:mad:]

Anyway, if this is true (in UK also), just get 205's or 215's...not more....and sorry about my original post[cry]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts