Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ill just interduce my self quick my names johny im 17 new to the site.

Im looking for my first car I want a 1.4 mk4 I really want a r32 kit on it and don't want to have all the hassle of doing it myself,

Ive been looking every were for one ebay, autotrader etc i just carn't find one.

Do u think its a waste of time looking for one or shall i do it my self Ive read alot on the posts about geting the plastic kit etc nd with people having trouble fitting it which has put mee of a bit wanting to do my own. IF any one has one for sale please let me know I live in Croydon bout 45mins from longon. Im looking to spend anything from 3500-7000 im looking for a 01 plate to an 05

Cheers

Johny

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
do it yourself, read up on the forum of the best places to get the kit, hell, if you're really lucky, you might be able to buy genuine bumpers second hand for bargains on sale on ebay!

jammy

·
Registered
384 Posts
hi, welcome.

im selling my mk4 1.4, its a 1999 T plate, satin silver, 55k on the clock. full VW history, all reciepts, mot till july 07, tax till oct 07, valeted everyweek, polished monthly well taken car of, excellent condition - spotless, serviced in august at 49k with cambelt changed, continental tyres, selling because i want a mk5, ?3200

PM if your interested or for any quries.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers, kk i may just do that then i mite start ordering the parts now so when i get my golf there already here. How much do you reckon it should cost for the whole kit including exhausts??

Johny

·
Registered
677 Posts
Its much better to do it yourself then u know exactly what is on the car...

Firstly you want a nice standard golf then theres plenty around. I got mine from the auto trader. There is a good place www.iwemotors.co.uk its all private sale from there house where i brought mine they have plenty of vws in all the time and alot of 1.4s. Try get one well looked after with good service history cam belt change at around 60,000, go for the one with electric windows and mirrors a 1.4 s not a 1.4 e.

Then its your choice between an orignal r32 body kit which would cost around... ? 500 for each bumper new and ? 300 for the side skirts. A replica body kit normally made of fibreglass are normally priced around ? 300 on ebay. Then obviously you need a bodyshop to paint it and possibly fit it. Make sure you go to a reputable body shop because there will be nothing worse than a nice new bumper on a nice car with a poor paint job and in months to come flaking paint etc it will be worth spending the extra to get it right.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
depends on which route you want to go in regards to GRP, ABS or Genuine.

i've got GRP front and sides (R32) and genuine R-Line rear.

you want the R32 look, i'd recommend ABS front and sides and if the GRP is cheaper, a GRP rear, stone chips aren't a worry on the back and apparently its a really good fit.

i'm hoping to replace my front end with a genuine version eventually. stone chips suck!

jammy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, Actualy thinking about it like you say if i do it my self i know whats on it etc and i can do exactly what i want.

Ill take a look on that site and try and find one im deffinatly geting my car this month, Oh yer also with the insurance because i will have modified the car and it wont be standard will it put my insurance up alot I havn't really looked into insurance yet but do you know of any good sites were its quite cheap?? ill post the link if i find a good kit and you guys can tell me what you think.

Thanks alot

Johny

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
hi, welcome.

im selling my mk4 1.4, its a 1999 T plate, satin silver, 55k on the clock. full VW history, all reciepts, mot till july 07, tax till oct 07, valeted everyweek, polished monthly well taken car of, excellent condition - spotless, serviced in august at 49k with cambelt changed, continental tyres, selling because i want a mk5, ?3200

PM if your interested or for any quries.
?3200 sound WAY overpriced to me. Sorry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey mate. Am 17 as well and looking for my first MK4. I want a car with R32 kit aswell but because of the age the insurrance goes sky high. Think the best thing to do is get some nice alloys nad leave it at that for a year. They maybe add kit. But am in to minds what to do atm. lol [:D]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey mate. Am 17 as well and looking for my first MK4. I want a car with R32 kit aswell but because of the age the insurrance goes sky high. Think the best thing to do is get some nice alloys nad leave it at that for a year. They maybe add kit. But am in to minds what to do atm. lol [:D]

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
im paying ?1800 for mine. including pass plus. i made a deal with my insurance co. they said my premimum will be ?800 next year if i dont claim within my first year. i can drive any car i want but i will covered 3rd party.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi lads

IMO I would get the Golf but leave the R32 kit. I spent a fortune on my last car but at the end of the day it was still a 1.6 and slow as you like. Now I have my GTI and wish I had been patient and left it standard as I would have had more money to spend on my GTI, which I am sure many will agree is a car that is worth spending money on.

If the R32 kit goes on your insurance is gonna rocket and I am guessing it will not stop there! your standard rims are going to look a bit daft once the kit is on so they are going to get upgraded, if not already done = more ???? to mr insurer! [:mad:]

I would suggest driving the Golf until you have got some no claims under your belt and then maybe look at something that is going to be worth spending all your hard earned on. You need to ask yourself, are you going to be driving this car for the next 4-5 years to make it worth the money or are you looking at having it 12 months then selling it?! When you come to sell it, like any car you wont get your money back and its frustrating to see all your hard work go down the drain. For the sake of 12 months I would wait.

Like I say this is only my opp but worth thinking about........

Good look [:D]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah i agree. Think ill just get some alloys and thats it because the standard ones look daft lol. Leave it like that for a year. I want to upgrade to a GTI in the end anyway and so i can make that car my own when i have some NCB under the belt. Want to get a 1.6 because there much better then the 1.4.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im thinking of selling my 1.6 it has all the mods listed in my sig. I've spent a small fortune on all the bits, even more smaller mods such as aero wipers and smoked indicators, 3 spoke steering wheel, etc. and its a totally different car to standard.

Im open to offers, so PM me if your interested

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[:D]Yer thats real true in about 12months i want to be geting read of it and want to be geting some thing new im really liking those new audi a3s [:D]

Im just goana put some nice rims on and maybe just chuck a sub in the boot, I supose it is worth spending the money on something i know im going to keep for a wile. Its all about just finding the rite golf now [:p] need to find it soon.

Oh yer is any one on any good insurance because im justing getting these stupid quotes for like 2200 and crnt find less let me know if you know of any good cheap companys?

Cheers

Johny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yer thats real true in about 12months i want to be geting read of it and want to be geting some thing new im really liking those new audi a3s [:D]

Im just goana put some nice rims on and maybe just chuck a sub in the boot, I supose it is worth spending the money on something i know im going to keep for a wile. Its all about just finding the rite golf now [:p] need to find it soon.

Oh yer is any one on any good insurance because im justing getting these stupid quotes for like 2200 and crnt find less let me know if you know of any good cheap companys?

Cheers

Johny

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im thinking of selling my 1.6 it has all the mods listed in my sig. I've spent a small fortune on all the bits, even more smaller mods such as aero wipers and smoked indicators, 3 spoke steering wheel, etc. and its a totally different car to standard.

Im open to offers, so PM me if your interested
Hey. Am not buying until next month atm. but do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi Johny, get your no claims together and some hard earned cash and treat yourself to a nice GTI [;)] dropped my birds sister and her 3 mates off in town in mine at the weekend and they were melting in the Reccaro seats, its the Whooooosh from the dump valve mate the girls just seem to love it they were giggling like mad lol........ not that I was interested or anything, I was looking str8 out of my front window making sure I was driving to the laws of the high way code, As they were all 18 years of age and it would have been wrong as I have a bird........ [;)]

In the meantime try Natwest insurance, They were ?250 cheaper than most others for me!

Nice one fella [:D][Y]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.