Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously there are postives and negatives for both, in terms of performance, cost and aesthetics etc.

But I really cant decide what to go for, as I want a balance between style and driver comfort.

What would people recommend?

Any pics would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Can depend on the suspension as well. As an extreme example, full-on racetrack suspension will do you no favours whether you go 17 or 18. 17 is probably optimal on a MkIV. What I can say is that the MkV GTI on 18s is more composed on 18s than my MkIV on coilovers and relatively lightweight 17s.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have 17`s fitted for normal everyday use but will soon have a set of 18`s which will be used for show use only.

17`s look just as good on a golf and are fine for everyday use. I
had 18`s on my previous car and the ride quality was very poor,
especially on the roads in the uk.

I`m having a new set of 17`s fitted tomorrow, will take a couple of pics then, just to give you some idea.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
I've got 18's but would prefer 17's. I find the ride too hard with 18's though mine is lowered on harder springs.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
17's on mine below. But TBH for asthetics 18's are better.

All depends on who drives the car, who goes in it, how much you want to spend etc etc.

For my point of view, my missis and kids go in the car, so I can't really go too harsh with the setup. But if I was a young single, loaded, living at home male [:D] and not married [:'(]. Then it truly wouldn't bother me, I would just want to look cool !!!![;)]

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
18" tyres are expensive I know, I have not found 18's to give any harsher ride on my any of my mkiv's and the Anni's handling on 18's is excellent.

My wife drives the Anni most the time and she's never said anything bad about the ride comfort, she loves it.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
18" tyres are expensive I know, I have not found 18's to give any harsher ride on my any of my mkiv's and the Anni's handling on 18's is excellent.

My wife drives the Anni most the time and she's never said anything bad about the ride comfort, she loves it.
is she used to getting jarring pain in her bum then, !?? [:D]

I run konis h and rs big roll bars, poly bushes and have both 17 and 18 inch bbs with F1s. 18's to harsh and it handles better on road on 17s. Some tracks suit the 18's, smoother faster flowiung ciruits like donnington, but for anything you may want to lob the car at, (Mallory hairpin, for eg!) 17's are nicer and you can just slide it about a little easier.

Lets face it though, ost have 18s for the looks, they are heavier than eqiv 17, more expensive etc. But they do tend to look cooler, unless you go for wide spitties etc!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

is she used to getting jarring pain in her bum then, !?? [:D]

I run konis h and rs big roll bars, poly bushes and have both 17 and 18 inch bbs with F1s. 18's to harsh and it handles better on road on 17s. Some tracks suit the 18's, smoother faster flowiung ciruits like donnington, but for anything you may want to lob the car at, (Mallory hairpin, for eg!) 17's are nicer and you can just slide it about a little easier.

Lets face it though, ost have 18s for the looks, they are heavier than eqiv 17, more expensive etc. But they do tend to look cooler, unless you go for wide spitties etc!
[;)]

·
Registered
346 Posts
I went for 18's as 17" look small sometimes and just not right, i must say the handeling is far better than the standard 16" i was rolling on plus they look far better too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
For nice, flat A roads with roundabouts & long sweeping bends I prefer the 18's with the 225 40's that I have on now, but I must say for country (B) road thrashes, I prefered it with my old 16" Montreal 2's on 205 55's - Not as 'crashy' going over the bumps/pot holes etc..

I guess 17's with 215 45's could be a good balance/compromise between the 2! - Never tried 17's on the Golf, though..... YET!!! [;)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Mine on 17s, look big enough to me:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Feels a good balance between feeling connected to the road and comfort, 225/45 R17 currently running 2.3 bar up front and 2.2 at the back.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've been trying to work this out since March, I have standard 16 inch rims on at he moment, I use the car daily but only to drive to the train station so I need a set of rims that don't stand out from oem ones too much, I have a set of Brock B2's in 18 x 8.5 but they fouled my coilovers so I haven't actually fitted them yet (have now bought the spacers but just not got around to trying them again). I also have a set of 17 inch audi tt 6 spokes but rhey need two tyres before I can try them and I don't want to buy two tyres and then not like the wheels and then make a loss selling them on (i bought them cheap off ebay but when the guy said two of the tyres were borderline he should have said bordelrine bald not borderline legal).

I know the only way I will work this out will be try both 17's and 18's and work it out for myself in the end. I'd love some rh split rims but they are not really oe looking and I know I'm rubbish at keepin my car clean.

I reckon at this rate I'll end up with a shed full of wheels and still be runing around on standard ones.

When I had a MK3 VR6 I decided I preferred the look of 16's, I then proceded to try 6.5 wide, 7 wide and 8 wide rims before working out what I preferred so I suppose I'm not really surprised that I haven't worked it out yet on the mk4.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts