Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be looking into some new wheels for my car very soon, and i really like the RS6's, i think im going to go for the 17" as i wont loose any performance or ride comfort.

I have got a GT TDI 150, now i know these come with "Sports Suspension", does this mean the car sits lower than a normal golf? Meaning i wont have to lower it with 17's on? I have 16's at the moment and i cant see an inch making all that much difference?

Anyone got a pic of a 3dr golf with RS6's on? [;)]

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that pic with coilovers fitted mate?

Thanks for the pic, i do love those RS6's! Are yours chrome tho?

Have you got a side view of it so i can see how it sits?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I think that photo is with the normal suspension setup still.

The gap between the top of your tyre and your wheel arch will be the
same with either a 16" or 17" rim. The 1" difference in diameter
of the rims is taken up in the sidewall of the tyre to keep the
circumference the same otherwise your speedo reading would be affected.

If you think about it, you've probably got a two or three inch gap
between your tyre and wheel arch at the moment. Dropping the
suspension by 1 inch will therefore be reducing this by 33% or 50%
which is a significant amount and is definitely noticeable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
True you are right that pic is with the standard suspension.

This is a pic from a different angle don`t have any side on at the moment!

No no no they are not chrome[:$]

Posted Image

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the pic and info mate... they look so clean and shiny i thought they was chrome. [;)]

Im still stuck, i dont know if to go for 18" or 17" i know there no differnece in price, and like i say i dont want to ruine the ride quality. Any suggestions ppl?

Also im very tempted to go for the santa monicas as they are a 17 and look the nuts.
Anyone know of someone selling some?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Personally i want to downgrade my 18's to 17's and have it lowered 35 mm as to me 18's i find them a bit bumpy down to the low profile.. a 17" rim will have a slightly more chunky sidewall therefore giving it a better ride...

My 2p

Sat [y]

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In that case then i think im going to go for the 17" Santa Monica's, then i can leave the suspension alone also... is that a good idea? How much should i be looking at for a set of genuine santa monica's, new and 2nd hand...?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Not trying to put you off mate.. personally the best thing to do is ask a local member who has 18's on there golf for a test drive so then you know how it will feel.. as each person is different to what they think is bad and what they think is good..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
In that case then i think im going to go for the 17" Santa Monica's, then i can leave the suspension alone also... is that a good idea? How much should i be looking at for a set of genuine santa monica's, new and 2nd hand...?
Your best bet is second hand but they are proned to corroding... as are all polished wheels with laquer.. also brandnew they're gonna cost an arm and a leg as iirc correctly shiuming was going to buy some but the total amount that the tyres and santa monica's came to were the same price as shiuming spent on his BBS alloys and suspension set up (springs and shocks).. personally i think if your set on 17's go for the evolo's i think thats what there called they're basically a 5 spoke alloy by vw with slight curvature and is a painted finish which won't corrode compared to the santa's...

A pic of an evolo alloy

Posted Image

and a pic on sammyboys car..

Posted Image

Also iirc nosaj off this forum was selling them a while back but cant remember if he had kept them best thing is to pm him and find out.

HTH

Sat [y]

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,030 Posts
I put the 17" RS6 on mine and I lowered the suspension by 35mm as it looked a bit agricultural without the drop.
I agree about the 17" ride comfort as apposed to the 18"s as I have a mate who has the RS4's in 18" on the same suspension set up as mine and his is deffinitely a bumpier ride.
If you want the looks then deffinitely go for 18's or even 19's but comfort wise then I think the 17's are the ones to go for.[Y]

The RS6's are very easy to keep clean as well, just make sure with whatever wheels you decide on that you wax them and seal them (poorboy's wheel sealant) before you put them on the car. It makes the brake dust very easy to remove without the need for any harsh chemicals.

My 2p anyway.

Neil

Posted Image

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks for all your opinions guys, i have made my mind up to go for 17", but i dont know if to go for santa monica's or RS'6 because old_n07 golf looks mint with them wheels on, suit it perfectly.!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm.... how much did the 18's effect performance, handling and ride quality then?

Thats the only reason id go for 17's over 18's because you hear alot of ppl wanting to change from 18" down to 17" due to ride comfort.

And how much have you lowered it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi mate,

I've got 18" RS4's with a 225/40 tyre and a 35mm drop, and the ride is definitely alot more harsh than the standard setup (car is a 2000 GT TDI 115.) I can also say that it is noticabely harsher than old_no7's setup, having been out in his car. He has exaxtly the same suspension setup, but the 17" RS6's.

Its not too bad during normal driving, hardly noticable. Its just when you hit bumpy/poor road surfaces or speed bumps. Anything other than the smallest of those bar-stewards requires you to almost stop, then drive over them!!!! Otherwise the tyre just compresses and BANG!

Looks wise, in my opinion the 18's are better. But for ride quality, it would have to be 17's!! Not sure there is any vast price difference, maybe about ?40ish difference.

Another thing to bare in mind is that replacement tyres for the 17's are likely to be cheaper than the 18's!!

Thats my view anyway!

Andy

·
Registered
404 Posts
If your really concerned about ride comfort dont get nice wheels and 40 profiles!, ive got some 14 inch steelies with 55 profile tyres if you want them, lol.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok deffo gonna be 17's then.... what about performance, did you loose much top end or any accelleration with 18's on?

And thanks for the offer of steelies, but im afraid im gonna have to pass on them...lol [:p]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok deffo gonna be 17's then.... what about performance, did you loose much top end or any accelleration with 18's on?
Not sure on top end, bt I certainly lost a bit of acceleration and fuel economy! Maybe a couple of mpg tops.
Nothing terrible but noticable all the same!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts