Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had these profile on 17s before? i'm aware its normally 205/45 to make the ride a little less harsh?

had 18s with 225/40 tyres and was pretty harsh.

Will be at standard height for the moment

Anyone got any pics?

Cheers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have 17"s on 225/40s with bout an inch stretch.

ride quality is pants! but i love it :)

Just flick through my build thread in link in my sig, ive had the wheels since i got the car so you can see how they look.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

Just flick through my build thread in link in my sig, ive had the wheels since i got the car so you can see how they look.
Whats the wheel width? Shouldnt be getting stretch from a 225 unless its on a 9 or 10.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Whats the wheel width? Shouldnt be getting stretch from a 225 unless its on a 9 or 10.
Not sure but they are blimmin wide lol! i always thought they were 9, so im guessing 9 then.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Im running 205/40/17's at the minute. They are average tyres. And the ride is harsh.

But now the weather is improving slightly and my mileage is less i have ordered a set of Toyo R888's for my TT comps

Fronts 205/40/17 and Rears 205/45/17

Should give a better stance and compensate for my harsh rear end (polybushed rear beam and KW's don't mix haha)

Should give a better stance also

Tom

·
Registered
483 Posts
Bear in mind the rolling radius or overall circumference.You shouldn't really have more than 2.5% difference to you standard wheel fitment.A 205/40 gives you a 6.07% difference or if your speedo reads 70mph,you'll actually be doing 65mph

·
Registered
576 Posts
i checked mine all today so i was 100% what they are, i have about an inch stretch all round and i have 225/40/17 on the rear then 215/45/17 on the front. they came on the alloys so not really sure why theyre different but they look cool, ride is crap tho!

·
Registered
415 Posts
My current tyres are 175/80/R14. so total 510 diameter in MM

if I put 17" wheels on I will need 42.5mm tyres to get the exact circumference. Not many tryres come as 42.5mm do they?

With 16" tyres, the task is a lot simpler and you need to fit 55mm tyres to get the exact circumference.

I want to go 17" but I don't want to get inaccurate mpg,speedo and the like. 16" is a safer bet it seems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts