Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes just been reading it,once again not cheap if it is as good as my GT TDI 140 was with reference to torque that will be a quick diesel....

·
Registered
154 Posts
VAG can't sensibly produce a 4 cyl - 2.0 TDI with 190BHP, if they did, that engine would find its way into the Passat/A4/A6 and they wouldn't get anyone buying the 2.5 v6.

It's about time the 2.0 TDI made it above 160BHP, now it's able to compete with the BMW x20d again.

Bet the Altea with that engine absolutely flys!

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get a 140 and have it remapped. Save yourself thousands.
Only problem with that is you don't get semi-GTI styling.

i.e. Twin exhaust pipes, V-shaped GTI bumber, bigger brakes, BBS 17" wheels, etc. (see link below)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm?newsid=2050829.004/country/gcf
IMHO it doesn't look very good. I don't like the alloys or front bumper.

I like the pipes though....and the bigger brakes as standard are a must [Y].
I'm not a fan of the alloys - a bit too fussy. The bumper I do like though. Standard bumper is a bit boring.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Get a 140 and have it remapped. Save yourself thousands.
How???

This car new is the same price as a pd140 plus remap
I think he means that the new 170PS is unlikely to be discounted initially whereas the 140 can be bought at a good discount, then remapped plus miltek jet style = more power, better value for money, I know this is what i would do. I read the article and liked the car but as a GTi owner am happy not too many styling cues were carried over [;)]

·
Registered
20 Posts
TSI engine does sound impressive,It is not a new idea though Lancia had the same setup on the Delta s4 in the 80s and that never caught on in the mainstream.

Although I don't think the tsi would have the guts to pull one with 4motion as well as the derv burner,But I am biased.

Pete.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TSI engine does sound impressive,It is not a new idea though Lancia had the same setup on the Delta s4 in the 80s and that never caught on in the mainstream.

Although I don't think the tsi would have the guts to pull one with 4motion as well as the derv burner,But I am biased.

Pete.
It's a different time now, though. People are more worried about emmisions and fuel costs than they were in the 80s, so TSI is the future IMO. I think it'll take back a good proportion of diesel engines' share of the market.

I can't see why TSI wouldn't be able to cope with 4motion as well as diesel. It has good torque, OK not as much as the TDI, but it's available right through the rev range - the supercharger providing pull at low revs, then the turbo taking over higher up.

VW are also planning bigger TSI engines. The next GTI will likely be powered by a 2.0 TSI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not even taken delivery of my MKv GTI and now you've got me thinking of the MKvi !!
Sorry! Don't worry though, the next GTI probably won't be here for another 3 years.

I haven't got mine yet either. Tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It is not a new idea though Lancia had the same setup on the Delta s4 in the 80s and that never caught on in the mainstream.
It wasn't meant to be mainstream, it was meant to win rallies and with a possible 600bhp from 2.0 it did......

Posted Image

I'm suprised that it's taken this long for someone to re-visit the concept.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It wasn't meant to be mainstream, it was meant to win rallies and with a possible 600bhp from 2.0 it did......

What I ment was the idea never caught on, As I said no one took the idea on board for mass production ! Until now.

Thanks for the info I have been following rallying for more than 30 years that car was a beast and if you were at goodwood festival of speed last year you would of seen it with all the other greats.

The current crop of rally cars are so uninspirering hence why Colin McRae is starting to build his version of what a proper rally car should be ,Something like Andy Burtons Peugeot 306 Cosworth with a N/A DTM V6 450hp 4x4 it sounds fantastic.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts