Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/girls,

New to this forum so please be gentle! I require some advice, I
have been offered some V6 4Motion alloys for the sum of ?200. Is
this a good deal just for alloys (no tyres)? They are second hand
but in good nick.

Any quick feedback would be appreciated as I hopefully going to be buying them tomorrow...

Thanks in advance people!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question... I have read that offset is 38mm on a MkIV 1.6 Golf,
these wheels have an offset of 42mm (6.5J), would this pose a problem?

Also, some added details... I've been told they are the 'Brands Hatch' variety (7 spoke). As seen in this pic below...

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The 4Motion Brands Hatch wheels are lovely.

According to my calculations, on your standard steel wheels (6J) you'll have a back space (from the inner face of the wheel where it meets the hub to the inside-facing rim of the wheel) of 114.2 mm while on the 4Motion wheels it will be 124.55 mm, meaning they will sit deeper inside the arch overall. My wheels are 7.5Jx17 ET35, which, going by the same calculations gives a back space of 130.25 mm (they sit even further in still, but they are also wider so they fill the arches quite well) and they are still fine (I used the wheel manufacturer's application guide so knew it would be OK). Here's how close it sits to the standard front strut - I've since fitted coilovers and still have no problems.

Posted Image

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, how much of an offer should I make? Is ?150 still too much? Or should I walk away from this one?

Bit of a newbie when it comes to cars, but I really do need to replace the 14" polo alloys I was given with my Golf!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 4Motion Brands Hatch wheels are lovely.

According to my calculations, on your standard steel wheels (6J)
you'll have a back space (from the inner face of the wheel where it
meets the hub to the inside-facing rim of the wheel) of 114.2 mm while
on the 4Motion wheels it will be 124.55 mm, meaning they will sit
deeper inside the arch overall. My wheels are 7.5Jx17 ET35, which,
going by the same calculations gives a back space of 130.25 mm (they
sit even further in still, but they are also wider so they fill the
arches quite well) and they are still fine (I used the wheel
manufacturer's application guide so knew it would be OK). Here's how
close it sits to the standard front strut - I've since fitted coilovers
and still have no problems.

Posted Image
As I mentioned, curently have these 'Reggae' wheels in 14"! Of course not my choice of wheels, but hey, they came with the car.

So do you reckon without changing anything these 16" wheels would fit
ok? I have just started to grasp the concept of wheel offsets and
so you'll have to bear with me! Oh and thanks for taking the time to
reply, much appreciated.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I reckon say ?150. Not sure on the situation but you could see if he's got tyres as well and then offer him ?300 all in? That would then be a bargain.

If not make sure you have enough money left over for tyres though! [:)]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reckon say ?150. Not sure on the situation but
you could see if he's got tyres as well and then offer him ?300 all in?
That would then be a bargain.

If not make sure you have enough money left over for tyres though! [:)]
Sounds like a plan! I am aware that I will need money for the
tyres, just wanted to make sure that they would fit ok with that offset.

Will offer 150 and will keep this thread updated on developments... wish me luck!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Before you fit the new wheels, make sure the bolts are compatible. There are different types of taper to the head (some are even not tapered, just flat). Most alloy wheels take bolts with a tapered head. Standard steel wheels use a radius head bolt. You can see in the wheels' bolt holes whether head is a taper or radius (hemisphere shaped at the back of the bolt face).

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Another bit of advice: Do not let any garage mount your nice alloys using an impact gun to tighten the bolts, these produce excessive force which is harmful to the alloy. Invest in a torque wrench (Halfords do an own-brand calibrated torque wrench that goes to 300 Nm and is perfect for wheels, cost ?60) and always tighten bolts by hand, to the correct torque. 120 Nm according to the handbook. Tighten them in a criss-cross pattern, not going around in a circle or you may cause wheel vibration and brake disc warping.

Edit: Also remember to check the torque again after 50-100 miles. It's a small inconvenience for your safety and driving pleasure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts