Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
My local newspaper recently reported a man caught doing 129 mph 'testing' his new BMW on a stretch of dual carriageway. Was given only 6 points. Very lenient I thought.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Speeds far greater than this are reached on a regular basis on roads of much lower quality across the country.

Being honest while it is obvious Joe Public would get jailed most likely for getting caught at 159mph, I feel for the Policeman in a way despite also feeling he deserved it.

Have to wonder how accurate the speed measuring equipment was as the VXR Vectra was not around at that point and a regular 3.2V6 with all the Police crap on board would not likely go that fast.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I personally don't have a problem with it, you'd want to be assured he could competently handle the car at that speed on public roads if something really depended on it - as exceptional as those circumstances are, if he was chasing a car for example with a member of your family in and it was life and death... you'd want him there following them. No amount of track testing can prepare you for that enviroment.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The quickest I've ever driven is 150mph, and it seemed a world apart from say 120. (i.e. fast!)

As said, this guy would have been trained to drive at these speeds (hopefully!!!!) and been competent enough to handle a vehicle under most situations. I've done defensive and high speed driving courses, but I wouldn't say I was skilled enough to pull a car out of a skid, without killing anyone else should the tyre blow at 159mph. Hopefully this chap was....................................(doubtfull)

Anyone can drive a car in a straight line at any speed. "Driving" comes together on this country's many B-Roads.

Given the fact he wasn't on a call, and vehicle proving should be done on a track during product development by the manufacturer and not left to be signed off by a bobby with an advanced driving license, I think he should be fired for gross misconduct, and banned for a set period of time.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I also fail to see the point of the expense of bringing the guy back to the high court for a retrial to give him a conditional discharge 'as he has already been punished enough since it happened'. Its as good as a slap on the wrists and a 'dont do it again'. Make an example of him....Yeh right.

Joe Public would have been punished with years of public transport and walking in the rain...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Joe Public isn't ever going to need to get somewhere at 130+mph where a policewoman's been shot or a bank robbery or anything, and thus has no excuse for exceeding the national limit.

Ok, we all do, but I hope that we are aware of what we are doing and the consequences of our actions if we get caught.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Fact is that officer didnt need to be anywhere near 130+mph either that night, hence he was hauled up in front of the judge twice.

I just see the oucome as another laugh. Guilty but given absolute discharge. It hasnt proved anything as such has it, apart from to confirm that the double standards rule is still alive and kicking. An exception was made, again, therefore what was the point of a retrial and the cost if this is the outcome? And I am looking at that from the officers point of view as well as joe public's.

Eitherway, dead and buried now, officer back doing his job. Lets hope it has sent out a lesson as to acceptable conduct.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Joe Public isn't ever going to need to get somewhere at 130+mph where a policewoman's been shot or a bank robbery or anything, and thus has no excuse for exceeding the national limit.

Ok, we all do, but I hope that we are aware of what we are doing and the consequences of our actions if we get caught.
Lets also remember that the national speed limit was set in the 60's when cars needed half a mile to stop. The stopping distances detailed in the current highway code are by no means applicable to modern vehicles, and need reviewing.

Speed is only dangerous in the wrong hands, and on roads that can't take it. The M6 Toll for example could easily accomodate a 90 mph speed restriction without causing any problems. It's a new, wide road with loads of visibility. 70 feels like 40.

Millions of pounds are spent on chassis development, and you've got to be doing something bloody stupid in my opinion to stuff a modern car. Either that or you just can't drive.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Lets also remember that the national speed limit was set in the 60's when cars needed half a mile to stop. The stopping distances detailed in the current highway code are by no means applicable to modern vehicles, and need reviewing.

Speed is only dangerous in the wrong hands, and on roads that can't take it. The M6 Toll for example could easily accomodate a 90 mph speed restriction without causing any problems. It's a new, wide road with loads of visibility. 70 feels like 40.

Millions of pounds are spent on chassis development, and you've got to be doing something bloody stupid in my opinion to stuff a modern car. Either that or you just can't drive.
I'm a member of the IAM and am well aware of the improvements in stopping distances of modern cars. My 1.8T feels like it'll stop on a six pence from 120!! Ask a couple of recent passengers! Lol But the laws everyone must be governed by must be made with the lowest commom denominator in mind i.e. the mk1 fiesta with crappy brakes who is going to bo up your arse when your stood still in traffic!! And there are still cars on the road that need half a mile to stop!

The difference in momentum of a car travelling at 70mph to one travelling at 90mph is massive. Have you ever looked at a car coming the other way to you in a 40 limit, and imagined what would happen if you met head on? That's only a closing speed of 80mph. If the speed limits were set so the modern cars could do 95 and the older cars stay at 70, do you think that would work? I can see a new driver who gets overtaken by Mr BMW at 95-100 in lane 3 and then giving chase just cos he's jealous that he isn't permitted a higher speed. That's loads safer isn't it!

And I think that modern cars can be stuffed much easier than old ones through too much reliance on new technologies, ESP etc thinking that the computer will save them. Drivers need to be educated to a much higher standard.

Aside from a gun, a car is probably the most dealy weapon we are likely to be in control of in our lives. 1000-1500kg weights driving around at various speeds. And people should go out every day thinking that.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
That is such a good point, I have just driven at between 70 and just under 100 (on a private road obivously [*-)]) and the car just sat there and felt like it was doing about 40-50mph, I know that if I had to, I could pound on the brakes and the only worry would be if the car behind me could stop, the brakes, as much as we complain are fantastic even compared to other fairly modern cars, my mk2 would have no chance but the bora would and I think that the law should be changed to reflect this, Germany has some of the safest roads in the world, yet many stretches of derestricted highway. The main reason.... LANE DISCIPLINE and correct driver training. Its stupid drivers not speed that kills.

·
Registered
194 Posts

But the laws everyone must be governed by must be made with the lowest commom denominator in mind i.e. the mk1 fiesta with crappy brakes who is going to bo up your arse when your stood still in traffic!! And there are still cars on the road that need half a mile to stop!

And I think that modern cars can be stuffed much easier than old ones through too much reliance on new technologies, ESP etc thinking that the computer will save them. Drivers need to be educated to a much higher standard.
That's a fair point mate. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and all that. Maybe we rely on the drivers of these older vehicles using their common senese and realising they can't stop. Thats not very reliable though is it.

As for it being easier to stuff a new car, I'd have to disagree. Most people have a very simple understanding of electronic driver aids, as well as not even pushing their cars to the point of activating them. However, educating drivers to a higher standard is something that definately needs implementing. It's true what they say, you only learn to drive after you've past your test. A driver whose recently passed their test is lacking in most anticipation skills, and it's not until you take IAM or high speed courses that these are illustrated properly.

I believe from next year it's going to be a lot harder to gain a motorcycle license. Maybe the driving test should be shaken up too.

·
Registered
194 Posts

But the laws everyone must be governed by must be made with the lowest commom denominator in mind i.e. the mk1 fiesta with crappy brakes who is going to bo up your arse when your stood still in traffic!! And there are still cars on the road that need half a mile to stop!

That's a fair point mate. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and all that. Maybe we rely on the drivers of these older vehicles using their common senese and realising they can't stop. Thats not very reliable though is it.

As for it being easier to stuff a new car, I'd have to disagree. Most people have a very simple understanding of electronic driver aids, as well as not even pushing their cars to the point of activating them. However, educating drivers to a higher standard is something that definately needs implementing. It's true what they say, you only learn to drive after you've past your test. A driver whose recently passed their test is lacking in most anticipation skills, and it's not until you take IAM or high speed courses that these are illustrated properly.

I believe from next year it's going to be a lot harder to gain a motorcycle license. Maybe the driving test should be shaken up too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
New cars are being made that have to be better than the previous model, look at BMW's new 135i, 300-ish bhp. Where will hatchback power stop??? Most people are inexperienced of powerful cars and thus by manufacturing more, are more likely to own more powerful cars. They tend to believe the hype about drivers aids being fantastic and many probably don't understand how they work and what will trigger them into action. They are not going to pull you out of every situation, and if you go around driving thinking that they will, then you are asking for it.

This is getting off topic now, so back to the original question. I'm glad he got let off, because police drivers need to be aware of a cars performance when called upon to get somewhere PDQ. Their jobs necessitate different rules for them and us, because we use motor vehicles to get from A to B at our convenience, whereas they use them to catch criminals, prevent crimes and save lives.

He has a high standard of training and as such is more qualified to test the car. If he had "borrowed" the car to go on a razz, I'd feel a lot different.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts