Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

There are now quite a number of members running 150PD TDis on here now, and some of the cars are out of warranty. Also att the same time i've noticed the amount of threads and interest on these cars is increasing.

So, in an attempt to "share some knowledge" can the 150Pd owners take some time out to share with us their experiences; likes and dislikes, and also if they have had any problems with the engine- and what was done to fix it!

Gaz.

·
Registered
42 Posts
got mine as replacement for SEAT toledo V5 (170)

Likes : economy (ave 48-50mpg, midrange torque for easy overtaking, good spec (leather,xenons,winter pack,santa monica's,cruise, etc)

Dislikes : ride / suspension (new kit + roll bars should sort that out, brakes (TT conversion going on)

Basically this is the first diesel I have owned in 24 years of driving, and I class myself as a commited petrolhead (have raced / hillclimbed a mk1 golf in the past, also ride a ducati) - and I never thought I would like driving a diesel, but this car is so underated. the performance / economy ratio that you get will take some beating for the price, and the looks you get when you blow somebody away and they realise that you have a diesel is priceless.

Problems : just had some intercooler problems in the last week, but I do around 3ok a year so the car does get heavy usage - but apart from regular servicing every 10k no other problems so far

looking forward to some mods over the next few years

regards - TB

·
Registered
737 Posts
Although I've sold mine and returned to petrol(which says something); here are my views:

Likes: Economy(not as good as 130 which is little slower), ease of overtaking, pace on fast roads; wide power band.

Dislikes: Noise at idle and low speed(One of the worst recent diesels I've experienced); turbo lag; not as flexible as 115/130 <40mph.

Overall a good car for anyone doing >12000 miles/year and doesn't mind agricultural engine sound.

·
Registered
646 Posts
TDI PD150's are awesome! I was pretty impressed with the standard one deffo quicker than the standard 1.8T petrol and more fun but once chipped they really do rip through the gears! With a few extra mods like mine there is absolutly no lag and huge power whenever you need it in any gear!

My trip computer never shows less than 42 mpg and I get nearly 50 mpg on motor way runs....and thats with all the BHP I have too!

The PD TDI will cost you a bit more than the 1.8T Petrol to buy but you will have the 1.8T performance plus more torque/ throw you back in your seat pull plus 40-50 mpg depending on how you drive as far as the Golf TDI PD 150 goes it is the business when it comes to diesels with power and economy.

Nothing has gone wrong with it in 35k miles, suspension, brakes aren't particularly good hence why I have uprated them, but once these small downsides are factored out it really is a blast of a car......I choose my tuned TDI over the Civic Type R its that good! Faster too!

Very underrated!! But totally agree it sounds shocking on idle...like a tractor! but once on the move it sounds great if you have a Miltek and induction its just rumble and turbo whistle!

Clutch is weak on the PD 150 once re-mapped you will need to start saving for an uprated clutch somewhere down the line unless you are very gentle!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Done 60 k in mine. Bought with 12k on it 3 years ago.

Like the power/economy balance. Quality interior trim with generally good build quality with the odd little rattle especially when cold.

Dislike: Ride, handling and steering and engine noise and vibrations again worse when cold

Nothing major gone wrong touch wood. Main problem has been bushes (rear beam, front wishbones and ARB). Mechanically its been solid with the odd hesitation and flat spot but I think a regular MAF clean helps this and I try to do that every now and again.

Plan to hang onto it for a long time now. I went through a period of trying to sell it but for economy/performance (straight line) its hard to replace. Plans are to replace the poor dampers with Bilstein's probably and fit a rear ARB to sort out the boring handling. It does feel like it has got worse over the miles but was not good to start with and I've been hoping the dampers would break to give me the excuse!!

Economy 10/10

Drag line performance 8/10

Handling std 4/10

Steering 6/10 a tad light and not sharp enough

Ride quality 5/10

Refinement 6/10

Build quality and finish 8/10

I wouldn't buy if you want gti style fun unless you are pepared to do slight suspension mods. I know some will argue otherwise but its down to personal opinions and I have mine and respect they have theirs. Advice to anyone considering buying is to make sure the test drive includes a good twisty undulating road and if you find it ok then you'll be perfectly happy with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gary - basically the rubber boost inlet hose that goes onto the intercooler has some metal spring clips that lock into place, but these had completely ripped apart ( the VW breakdown guy's reckoned they see several like this a month now !)

if you remove the drivers side front wheel you can see where this hose links the aluminium turbo duct to the FMIC, also the inlet stub on the FMIC seems to be a weak point as mine had cracked around 1/3rd of it's diameter ( i seem to recall Sem talking about his car also suffering from this)

seems to be worth a quick check - best to take the front bumper off as this gives you good access to the above bits

idealy long term I would like to get silicone hoses with better clamps/clips, but companies like SAMCO don't seem to do any PD150 kits yet

regards - TB

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
idealy long term I would like to get silicone hoses with better clamps/clips, but companies like SAMCO don't seem to do any PD150 kits yet

regards - TB
Its a pity that, i'd love a full set of decent sealing hoses instead of silly bits of moulded plastic and springy metal clips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also had a problem with the boost pressure pipe, that goes to the intercooler (I think) Spotted a few drops of oil on my drive, so took it down to my local dealers, as it was under a years warranty, and they said that the boost pressure pipe was worn & thats where the few drops of oil was coming from. So they get one ordered & I take the car back to get it fitted a few days later. The car is up on the lift & this guy is working away then after about 10 mins he's stood there looking at the engine, then the new pipe, then the engine, then the new pipe....... etc. Oh oh I think to myself they have the wrong part. He talks to some other guy, who then swans off over the road to the audi garage & returns with another pipe. I know these cars are the same group, but I am now worried that they are fitting the wrong pipe to my car. But I say nothing, they are the proffesionals not me. Ok, the cars done now, drives it outside and parks in one of the spaces rady for me to collect. Just about to go back to reception to get my keys, and I catch a glimpse out of the window at a blue bora, rolling slowly backwards from where this mechanic parked, towards the direction of my car! Not quite believing what is happening I go outside to see that it has actually rolled right into the back of my car. Fortunately there was now damage, but by this time I was a bit frustrated. I let them know, how ridiculous the morning has been & leave with my car thinking, "oh well" at least its fixed now. Drive back 23 miles to my home town with no problems. Next day we decide to go out for the day to sheffield, I look under the car, lovely no more dripping oil & off we go. Get a couple of miles out off town, and go to overtake this Sunday driver in front off me, & Thud!! A big black puff of smoke & all power is gone. So I pull over into the conveniently positioned laybe straight ahead, god knows what the guy thought who I was passing. I come to a stop and sit there thinking what now, I call the AA to come and have a look to see whats wrong ( I think I know whats wrong) (I think you might too). I tell the AA guy that it has just had an intercooler pipe fitted, so he rips the engine cover off from underneath to reveal an intercooler pipe hanging there........ I don't think they clipped the spring clip on properly, he said.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. I phoned them next day, gave them a right b*ll*cking and just to let them know how frightened my partner and child were, stuck out in the middle of a main road without any power.

Received a letter off the floor manager expressing how sorry they were & offered me 10% off my next service. I wrote back saying thanks for the generosity, but my car will probably be safer without the sevice

Besides that - phew... No problems

Apart from the window wipers seizing up in the rain last week. You see I was...... Oh don't get me started again

I'm really pleased with the car - Highly reccommended

Reflex silver - GT TDI 150 PD

·
Registered
646 Posts
Done 60 k in mine. Bought with 12k on it 3 years ago.

Like the power/economy balance. Quality interior trim with generally good build quality with the odd little rattle especially when cold.

Dislike: Ride, handling and steering and engine noise and vibrations again worse when cold

Nothing major gone wrong touch wood. Main problem has been bushes (rear beam, front wishbones and ARB). Mechanically its been solid with the odd hesitation and flat spot but I think a regular MAF clean helps this and I try to do that every now and again.

Plan to hang onto it for a long time now. I went through a period of trying to sell it but for economy/performance (straight line) its hard to replace. Plans are to replace the poor dampers with Bilstein's probably and fit a rear ARB to sort out the boring handling. It does feel like it has got worse over the miles but was not good to start with and I've been hoping the dampers would break to give me the excuse!!

Economy 10/10

Drag line performance 8/10

Handling std 4/10

Steering 6/10 a tad light and not sharp enough

Ride quality 5/10

Refinement 6/10

Build quality and finish 8/10

I wouldn't buy if you want gti style fun unless you are pepared to do slight suspension mods. I know some will argue otherwise but its down to personal opinions and I have mine and respect they have theirs. Advice to anyone considering buying is to make sure the test drive includes a good twisty undulating road and if you find it ok then you'll be perfectly happy with it.
Hi Chesney I was also a GTI-6 owner (5 Yrs) and was one of the first members of the forum with Dom and Al etc......I must admit the Golf will never have the feel/handling of the 306, but mine in its current state isn't a million miles away in the handling department!much faster than the 306 obviously but still not as much fun!!

Main difference is the Quality, I had a shock when moving from the 306 to the Golf how solid and well put together the Golf was, this was also reflected in the way it drives! The steering is more solid the car feels solid on the road the interior is leagues ahead seats are better general feel is a million miles better than the 306's but I still miss the 306 for raw fun!!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I got mine to replace an A3 130 Sport and I'd had another diesel before that.

I really wanted an Anniversary, but I couldn't justify having a petrol one with the mileage I do, both in terms of fuel costs and the residual value of a high mile petrol v's diesel.
There's always lots of debate on which is the better car, but my choice was about what was best for me and I can't fault the car in terms of delivering what I expect of it. Standard it was fun, a little laggy compared to the 130 but revved better up to the top of the range, the REVO has transformed it into something worthy of its badge and suits my style of driving perfectly.. any gear you just punch it and you're past most things in a flash, fair enough it's useless in 1st and 2nd too depending on the weather, but any other gear it'll hold its own. It doesn't sound like a petrol and isn't as quiet on tickover (although there's some strange comments about it being agricultural, mine certainly isnt - come have a listen) but I'm prepared to put up with these things, it's personal choice. It puts out just shy of 190BHP & 300 ft/lbs of torque, I still get around 540 miles to a tank and approx. 50mpg with much less smoke than I've seen on other chipped TDI's too. Call me a cheapskate, but if I was running a petrol, I wouldn't be able to afford the project I'm planning, which will be my balls out petrol guzzling monster - it's a trade off.

Handling wise it is better than a normal Golf, but still has room for impovement - some Koni FSD's and slightly lower springs, rear ARB and bushed up all round will see a marked difference when they go on, until then you have to treat it with a bit of respect. That motor is a big heavy lump up front and will see some serious wieght transfer problems if you don't approach a corner correctly - lift off mid bend, the back goes light and you're pulse is on the increase, you've got to get used to keeping the power smooth through and avoid the torque slipping the wheels. Steering is nicely wieghted and direct.

Faults so far:
ECU changed because of erratic idling
Cooling system partly replaced, expansion tank problem
Top mounts are on their way out (listen for knocking on full lock reversing)

Under investigation:
Hesitation problem - at a constant speed or if you've let off and re-accelerate, it'll occasionally (say 3/4 times per day) seem to misfire or hesitate for 1/2 a second before it's up and away. VAGCOM on EGR (which is the suspected issue) shows nothing, but only logs flow.. which doesn't tell you if the valve is sticking? so, mine was taken off yesterday and having been described as "being made out of coal" it was given a thorough clean and I'm monitoring the situation... it started much better this morning and didn't puff out any stinking smoke, seems smoother and hasn't hesitated so far (done around 50miles so far) So hopefully this has cured the problem? ?112 I think for a replacement if yours it too far gone.

EDIT: Hasn't cured the problem, in fact it was juddering under hard acceleration on the way home, so I'm going to look at all the boost hoses and connections.

Now if I didn't do the miles I do, I may well have bought a petrol this time around - but I certainly don't feel like I've got second best or I'm a 'GTI pretender'. I'll only consider selling this if a TDI 30th Anniversary comes out, and only when they've been about for say 2 years, so I've many years and miles of motoring left in my beloved car. It's not perfect but when I drive it again after being in something else it still makes me smile.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Had an Anniversary with the PD150 engine. Remapped it had good overtaking grunt and made an unstressed cruiser at high speed although the awful wheel/tyre combo on this model produces a lot of road noise and ruins the ride.

Handling is poor due to the weight over the nose probably but grip in the dry is high as you would expect with 225 rubber.

Overall not a drivers car but a good tool for doing a specific job. Can't understand why people rave about them though, about as much charisma as a wet weekend in Bognor.

Problems, weak clutch, poor refinement, turbo lag at low speeds and understeer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bought mine from a stealer (never again) with 30000 on the clock.

Now done 60000.

Faults: Aircon fans, wrong spare wheel (down to the salesman not having a clue what he was doing; didn't find out till I had a puncture [:mad:]), turbo charger failed at about 40000, catalyst replaced at the same time, leaking washer pipes in the usual places, tailgate catch connector corroded due to washer pipes, C-pillar trim stained due to washer pipes - dealer refused to do anything about the catch and trim even though it was consequential damage - far too angry to argue my point at the time.......

Likes: torque, build quality, torque, practicality, looks, comfort, torque, image, engine note when warm, 140mph (on private roads), torque, the fact that BMW/Merc drivers can't understand why you're still in their rear view mirror!

Dislikes: body roll, cold start idle, smoke bellowing out the back on cold start, wooden interior (only the gear knob left...soon to be changed).

Hates: THE VW DEALER NETWORK! T%^$ERS![8o|]

Mods to come: rear anti roll bar at least, new alloys maybe, R-line gear knob, R/B/B/R rear clusters, clutch and flywheel (when they eventually fail).

May also consider 5000 mile oil changes cause by the time 10000 comes round the oil looks rubbish! Keeping it for a very long time you see.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I've had mine from new (May 2003) & I can say its been the best car I've ever had in all areas, mph, performance etc etc.

She is now touching 90k, of which she has been Jabba Remaped since 58k. In the miles I've done in her the only real warranty job I had was the aircon fans, which would happen in any golf with climate.

I run her on the long life service schedule & drive her fast on the m'ways, most days I nudge just under 3 figures for a few miles.

The down side is that front tyres dont last more than 15k, but thats more so down to me I'd say.

2p [:)]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'm having the pipe going to my intercooler changed today too, it cracked and lets the rubber hose slip past the retaining clip. U can make a temp fix with 4 cable ties. The pastic feels brittle and hope the new one is of tougher plastic.

Past faults:
Glovebox lock
fans
coolant sensor
3 door seat release levers - keep on pulling off

A good car overall, could do with more secure handelling but I'm going to throw money at it. Besides the chassis isn't stiff enough - so I don't see the point. Runs with much less lag with BP Ultimate.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Running a Bora PD150, and wow this is the best diesel I've had, even better than one of my last cars (2.5 V6 A4). Loads of poke and love the quality of the car for the money I paid. No problems so far but I've only had it since December. It's an 03 plate and had 24k on the clock when I bought it. Now has almost 28k and I just love it.

The torque hit you get once the turbo has spooled up is brilliant [:D]. Can't wait for a custom code remap after the warrenty runs out. Again like everyone else, the handling is a bit way ward so that'll be getting a seeing too soon.

This is the first car I can see my self keeping for a long time, it has everything I need.... performance, economy, refinement, comfort. It's a great sleeper and can embrass a few would be quick cars on the road today.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Chesney I was also a GTI-6 owner (5 Yrs) and was one of the first members of the forum with Dom and Al etc......I must admit the Golf will never have the feel/handling of the 306, but mine in its current state isn't a million miles away in the handling department!much faster than the 306 obviously but still not as much fun!!

Main difference is the Quality, I had a shock when moving from the 306 to the Golf how solid and well put together the Golf was, this was also reflected in the way it drives! The steering is more solid the car feels solid on the road the interior is leagues ahead seats are better general feel is a million miles better than the 306's but I still miss the 306 for raw fun!!
Glad to hear you are happy with the golf. Gives me hope that I can make it more enjoyable to throw around as I miss the lift off oversteer. My Rallye was the most fun car I've had. I even bought another one but it was high miles and I sold it on. I joined the forum in 2001 but somehow lost my username and I think it shows that I've only been there since 2003 now! Got a 320d sport touring now too but its way too slow but I have a 210bhp remap coming up in a couple of months so hope it will get moving! Can't touch the 150PD on pull and economy but hammers it round the twisty's!

Anyway back to topic: I noticed a little oil dripping from the undertray near the front right wheel arch. Wasn't a huge amount but is this where one of the problems lie that you guys are talking about. Car feels fine and is peforming well. I'll keep an eye on the oil, I only changed it 3k ago!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts