Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 130 GTTDI 6 speed
I'm the second owner for 5 years.
Full history to 140k, I've done oil, filters (inc fuel) myself since.
No warning lights.
Starts instantly, first crank

On return from school run the other day, it began to hesitate momentarily, then cleaned up - car fully up to temp.

Later that day on the same school run, once engine up to temp, it just died and would not start again until the next day.

Had it recovered to local trusted garage who report they are still investigating, but started for them and only cut out once up to temp - still under diagnosis.

Just curious if what this could be? Any thoughts?

During and after the cut out phase, other than the alternator light, no other warning lights.

Battery is new Bosch Silver, just a few months old. Cranks no problem and holds charge.

Just nervous as to what it might be?

Tank fuel pump was replaced a about 18 months ago for the record.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Potentially coolant temp sensor, lambda sensor, or MAF? Coolant temp sensor could be reading too high on the circuit to the ECU, and the car reduces fuel at it gets warmer. Try unplugging the MAF when it doesn't start, and see if that solves it.

Once up to temp it'll go into closed loop, so the car starts adjusting fuel mixtures to try and become as efficient as possible.

If it starts with a bit of easy start then something is incorrectly telling the car to reduce the fuel going to the engine.

Not too clued up with diesels, but I'm sure someone else will have a better idea.

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
With diesels a non start when hot means it is one of the sensors loosing contact when hot... usually either the camshaft sensor or the crankshaft sensor is acting up... but to find out which one it is the car needs to be diagnosed as both will log an error in the ecu. The sensors aren't expensive either and easy to replace... but have it done at a garage and a simple diagnostic readout followed by them supplying and replacing the bad sensor will soon be costing in the hundreds...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just updating this - turned out to be a failed in take pump (again). new pump and filter and we're back on the road.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just updating this - turned out to be a failed in take pump (again). new pump and filter and we're back on the road.
Glad you're back on the road. I take it you mean the fuel pump in the fuel tank which you said was replaced before?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you're back on the road. I take it you mean the fuel pump in the fuel tank which you said was replaced before?
Yes in tank pump under the back seat that was replaced 6 years ago, hopefully the replacement lasts longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts