Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I'm going to replace my car (given it's going to need a replacement engine and I'll never be happy about that).

Budget about 12-13k, has to be diesel with performance aspirations, ideally less than 20k miles on the clock (obviously could be swayed on the mileage front) and age of 3 years or younger!

A3 2.0 TDI seems out of budget (unless you know different). Been considering a Seat Leon TDI 150 Cupra or a MK5 Golf 2.0 GT TDI but want to consider other cars outside of VAG

Cheers

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Ignoring the mileage and age criteria - 330d

Respecting those criteria and streching the budget slightly you'd get an A3 2.0 TDi

On the Autotrader website......

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=223253

2005 AUDI A3 2.0 TDi 140

Sport 6 Speed, 18000 miles, SH, climate control, CD, alloy wheels, 6 mths tax, very clean car. ?12,800. ovno

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=321974658

2001 51 Reg BMW 330d Sport
4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Diesel, 49,000 miles, Metallic Black. ABS, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Head restraints, Headlight washers, Immobiliser, Park distance control, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Radio/Cassette, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Traction control, Body kit, CD, Electrically adjustable seats, Full service history, Leather seats, Multi function steering wheel.Insurance Group:16, now ?12,995.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I paid ?10k for my 9 month old Mondeo Zetec S TDCI from a Ford dealer. It would have been ?19k new [:O]

Great chassis, quick, toys, looks nice with 18" wheels and bodykit - but depreciation is a killer.

But I'm going to keep mine for 5 years plus so it doesn't bother me too much.

Much better to drive than any derv VAG or Volvo that I have driven.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i was gonna say the 320d sport or the 330d sport you can get a fully kitted out 320d sport for 12k or less they have 163bhp (the early ones have 150) the 330d has 263 bhp (something like that)

a lot of car for not that much money im shure they were 30k new

·
Registered
690 Posts
The E46 3 Series diesels (previous shape) came in the following versions:

320d: 136bhp pre-facelift, 150bhp afterwards.

330d: 184bhp per-facelift, 204bhp afterwards.

150bhp and 204bhp engines were also available on the Coupe at the end of it's production life.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The E46 3 Series diesels (previous shape) came in the following versions:

320d: 136bhp pre-facelift, 150bhp SEPT 2001 >.

330d: 184bhp - 204bhp SEPT 2003 >.

150bhp and 204bhp engines were also available on the Coupe at the end of it's production life.
163bhp 2.0d are fitted to the 1 series, E90/91 3 series and E60/61 5 series.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for showing how ignorant I am [:p] lol

I didn't include the 163bhp engine because it's out of budget, on the E90 anyway. Otherwise I would have suggested a 535d Sport [:d]

Have you considered the Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good, thanks!

Mister E - 330d, you know it's right.........[:D]
Richard,

Given I'm going to be taking a loan to buy this car (since I hadn't budgetted on buying a new one this year), I wouldn't be able to afford the running costs of a 330d even though in my heart I want one.

My problem is I use my car for work so need something reliable and reasonably new. What search criteria did you use to find that Audi A3? That sounds like it might be up my street - thought the A3 might have been out of my budget!

My other consideration is a BMW 320d but again, I think it's out of my budget!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
A3 was -

>Audi
>A3
>2.0 TDi
>Sport

But what you really want is this...... (can you tell I like BMWs[:D]) has the upgraded 6 speed gearbox which made a real difference when cruising at motorway speeds in mine.

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=324645677

2003 03 Reg BMW 3 SERIES 320d Sport 150 PS 4dr [6]
4 Doors, Manual 6 speed, Diesel, 60,000 miles, Black, 1 Owner. Full BMW Service History, SAT NAV, Full Leather Sports Seats, 18" M Series Alloys, Climate Control, ABS, CD Multichanger, Radio/Cassette, Computer, xenon lights, Cruise control, rear spoiler, Park distance control, Multi function steering wheel, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Front armrest, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear headrests, Rear armrest, Side airbags, alarm remote controlled, Sports seats, leather interior, Foglights, Metallic paintwork, Tinted glass, FIVE DAY SPECIAL SALE PRICE. ?13,000.

Strood Motor Company

Dealer's WebsiteDealer's Location
Tel: 01634 724725
Price: ?13,000

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Richard,

Spec is perfect but the miles are too high [:(]

If I'm spending 12-13k, I want lower mileage than that given I do 20k a year. I want something that will stay on this side of 100k after my last experience with the golf (which should have been good for 150k miles) [:(]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Ah well, one last try......[;)]

Not as glamorous as a sport, but with less than 11k miles for under ?10 - personally I think You'd have a superb base for some nice wheels and a chip to 180 bhp.....

Both my 3s were SEs and you shouldn't compare them to a VW SE - the chassis is taut and responsive, the handling is superb and if you're doing 20k a year then I think would be better suited than the Sport which to some is quite harsh.

2002 02 Reg BMW 3 SERIES 320d SE 4dr,
4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 10,600 miles, Orient Blue, 1 Owner(s), PAS, Cruise control+multi-function steering wheel, Drivers airbag, Passenger airbag, Side airbags, ABS, Traction control, Remote central locking, Alarm, Immobiliser, Front electric windows, Rear electric windows, Climate control, Front head restraints, Rear headrests, Alloy wheels, Body coloured bumpers, Electric door mirrors, Heated door mirrors, Metallic - Orient blue, Radio/Cassette. ?9,995.
Tel: (01594) 529133
Price: ?9,995

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
4 years old though!

doh!

Yes, I know I'm being difficult! LOL!

Thanks Richard, it's been an eye opener.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll probably go with the easy option of getting a SEAT Leon FR / Cupra TDI

Quick and plenty of low milers in my budget.

Anyone know the difference between the FR and the Cupra TDI?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Really sorry to hear about the old 110.

What exactly is wrong with it to warrant a replacement engine ?

I assume this was diagnosed by AVIT ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts