Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A friend of mine is about to buy an '01 GTTDi 115. What would be the best route to go to boost the BHP and Torque and what figures do you think are achievable via a chip upgrade?

Thanks.....

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Do a search matey and all shall be revealed......

Look for Revo, Jabba, Upsolute or AMD, prices vary from ?300-?500 with gains which puts bhp upto 145-150bhp & around 250lb/ft torque.

HTH

·
Registered
874 Posts
I got a shade over 150bhp and 235lb/ft torque from a DPT re-map (from Star performance or Awesome).

That cost around ?500.

As Wallacel said, 145-150 is about right from a re-map.

As well as the re-map you could try an exhaust, but apart from that you're looking at swapping turbos/intercoolers etc to get worthwhile gains, and that starts to cost you big bucks, and if your mate was going to go down that route he'd be better saving a bit harder and getting a 130/150 in the first place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The problem I found with fitting uprated brakes on the late Mk4's is that the caliper carrier is cast as part of the hub! I was well gutted after buying a set of Audi TT 310mm disc and calipers!

I found the de-cat pipe made a good difference to my car - maybe not to the overall performance but definately the low down torque (the bit before the turbo winds up).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Quote: posted by wallacel on 29/01/2005 13:17:33

Quote: posted by S1R SS on 29/01/2005 09:21:23

Richard - Out of interest, what would you you do to uprate the brakes?

Fit BIGGER ones[:p][;)]

I know that, I just meant which ones in particular [!][!]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Quote: posted by phil200sx on 29/01/2005 16:54:55

The problem I found with fitting uprated brakes on the late Mk4's is that the caliper carrier is cast as part of the hub! I was well gutted after buying a set of Audi TT 310mm disc and calipers!

I may be wrong (make that probably am wrong![:eek:)]) but I think it may only be the 115 that is like that. In which case you have been doubly unlucky![V]

I echo Richards comment though- do the suspension first. It'll make just as much of a difference in point-to-point terms over a country road, and more importantly it'll stop you throwing yourself into a hedge if you ever get a chip![;)]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by S1R SS on 29/01/2005 18:15:50

Quote: posted by wallacel on 29/01/2005 13:17:33

Quote: posted by S1R SS on 29/01/2005 09:21:23

Richard - Out of interest, what would you you do to uprate the brakes?

Fit BIGGER ones[:p][;)]

I know that, I just meant which ones in particular [!][!]

On a 115 fit braided hoses and fast road pads (pagid have a good reputation) - if he can be reached in time - tell him the brakes on the 130 can be upgraded for the 312mm TT ones by simply swapping the caliper carriers. On the 115 the whole hub needs to be changed to either 130 or GTi spec before fitting the bigger brakes.

HTH

·
Registered
874 Posts
Chipping is removing the ECU and soldering in a new one with a different program.

Re-mapping is just writing a new program to your existing ECU which tends to be done through the Serial Port (hence serial port tuning).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No, they're all the same. A chip will have revised maps in it, SPT changes the existing maps and a GOOD tuning box has revised maps in it. Hence it's all down to personal preference as the results are similar in all cases.

The one thing I would say is that the reputation of tuning boxes has been tarnished by folk making claims about the EVRY/fuel temperature resistor boxes. Also - don't go down the route of thinking that Revo/Jabba are the only options - many folk here have had good results from those but there's alternatives:

DMS

Superchips

Tuning-Concept

Upsolute

Bromleys (Tunit)

Van Aaken

etc etc.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I had close to 150bhp in my 110 and was running 280mm Dubsport drilled zinc discs with Pagid pads(I currently have the 312's on my car). It's an expensive but very, very effective upgrade and good enough for 200+ bhp. For oem replacement, these crap on everything else on the market. Forget ATE, Black Diamond, EBC etc, they pale in comparison.

The discs are so good, I'm considering clamping them with Porsche 4-pots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts