Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just a quick question. I have a 2001 115pd and just want to know what my options for tuning are and what power gain i should expect. I already have a superchip and understand that i cant change the injectors on the PD so what options does that leave me. Any help will be much appreciated

·
Registered
874 Posts
Have you had your car rolling roaded after the chip? Just interested to know what you got.

Mine is around 150bhp. Not sure on the next step for tuning to be honest.

Suppose you could go for a front mounted intercooler and maybe a turbo from a 150pd, but then you'd probably be better off just trading in for a 150.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh its been on a rolling road says 149bhp but i dont know how truthful that is. If i did get the turbo off the pd150 what sort of power gains could i expect and would i need any other work along side it.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
There is a guy who works with us in Holland, and he has a 115pd with a 150PD Turbo, Intercooler, Different air intake, ecu, etc and he is pushing out around 180bhp reliably and still gets good mpg. Am off to Holland on Sunday, and will get another demonstration of it again no doubt and be made well jealous again too!

I have a 150PD turbo in the For Sale section to start you off if you are interested Clicky

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
To be honest I dont know but I would assume so. Got another run in that 115 this week. Goes like stink off a skunk!

Got a run in The Chiefs 1.8T yesterday in Aberdeen too. Really nice machine and quick too. Got a surprise in all honesty!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looking at another post they seem to think i shouldn't use the 150 turbo and go for the 130 instead whats your opinion on this?? I know i will probably need a remap. what increases would i be looking at for both. any help much appreciated no pressure lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
Go for the 150 turbo if you can get one, I only mentioned the 130 on the other post (i assume you were referring to that) as they are cheaper and more available. I'm sure the gains wouldn't be far off a remapped pd130 or 150.

Then you can do things like exhaust and intercooler, probably would want a boost and egt guage if you are really pushing for everything you can get out of it.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If you are going to add the Front Mounted Intercooler, then the 150PD Turbo Charger is the better one to have, as they go hand in hand out of the box anyway in a 150PD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think id be able to run it fine without a re-map for the time being until money allows or will i get a loss in power, poor running compared to the standard and superchip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also is the 150 bhp turbo a straight for to one on my 115. if not what other parts would i need and what prices am i looking at.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Having never done this to a golf, I dont know, but I am sure there have been guides on here somewhere that explain what needs to be done.

As far as I know, there is more work to do when mounting the FMIC than the turbo itself, but with the correct parts, a bit of effort, common sense and time, plus a 150 PD turbo with manifold connections, they will bolt together nicely.

I will ask the guy I know how they did his car (not that he was there when the garage did it).

I cant honestly say if the car will need a remap at that point of adding the FMIC and Turbo, but I cant see why it would cause a problem. However, it would be best to do so IMO as soon as cash flow allows.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Quote: posted by chrisspencer29 on 09/11/2004 16:27:49

looking at another post they seem to think i shouldn't use the 150 turbo and go for the 130 instead whats your opinion on this?? I know i will probably need a remap. what increases would i be looking at for both. any help much appreciated no pressure lol

I think the 130 turbo is a direct fit, whereas the 150 unit is cast into the manifold.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your turbo is sounding more tempting. Is it from a high mileage car? What condition is it in? Everything i need comes with it then?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I can take pics for you if you want mate. I was advised it had done 25000 miles and it is in good condition. Am considering selling my Passat now so prob wont bother trying to fit it at all now.

·
Registered
445 Posts
All turbos on the tdi golfs were cast into the manifold weren't they, maybe i'm wrong? The pd130 engine I had in the garage had a one-piece turbo and manifold. Reading up on tdiclub i'm led to believe that the 150 is easier to fit with just one intercooler pipe to change, unless you're going for a fmic.

I'd go for djhorace's turbo if I were you, but I do think you'd need to sort a manifold out, get a egt probe hole tapped while your at it.

edit-ignore any comment about turbos and manifolds being one piece or two, i'm talkin out of my ass. I still say go for the 150 turbo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Her says his turbo comes with manifold what is an egt probe hole for, what does it do, and why would i need one if my car doesnt have one already or does it?

·
Registered
445 Posts
EGT is exhaust gas temperature, this will rise if you really start going for power in your car and if you use that power. It'll give you a pretty good indication if anything is about to go wrong and give you a chance to back off a bit. You probably won't need it to be honest, but its an option.

You wouldn't already have one, and they are ?100 or more for the guage and line. Only really worth it if you're going to rag the car silly under load for longish periods.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So basically - it's a case of swapping the turbo [larger inlet pipe too?], getting the air flow right [exhuast and induction] and THEN re-mapping?

What about forced air kits for the 115bhp in tow with the remap? Anyone got any opinions?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts