Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When accelerating at full throttle in my 1999 Superchipped 110 tdi (108k miles), from about 1600rpm until just over 2000 - 2100 ish rpm, in the higher gears i.e. 3rd, 4th and 5th, my car vibrates pretty badly[:O]

What could this be? Please don't say dual mass flywheel[:(]

After about 2200rpm, it stops and pulls ok (apart from the problem of seeming to run out of puff a bit early (before the redline)!

The vibrations don't appear to be noticeable in first or second gear. Definitely more so when flooring it at say, 30mph in fourth. When approaching the aformentioned revs, the vibrations last for about 2 - 3 seconds and then the car seems normal again.

Any ideas people?

P.S. It pulls well even with the vibrations, it's just a little worrying!!!!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Clutch Slip?

Engine Mounts?

Driveshaft?

The flywheel tends to give vibrations at idle if it goes, but it definitely sounds drivetrain related. Hard to diagnose over t'interweb though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's definitely not clutch slip.

how would a driveshaft give problems?

I've just driven the car home again and realised that it definitely only vibrates when on full throttle. If I lift off a little, the vibes seem to stop!!

This makes me think that it could be something to do with the fuelling? Although having said that, it doesn't smoke excessively.

I have a friend that works for a VW dealer, so would be able to plug it in to the diagnostics probably. Would this show up a faulty MAF or not?

Cheers guys,

Joe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine dose that also (100 TDI PD, standard). I thought it was normal because the engine is not in its 'power band'. It seems the same in every turbo-diesel that I drive (TDI, HDI) regardless of what make.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's not the maf, more likely to be clutch vibration i get the same 97k, 00, 110 tdi jabba remap started doing it after the remap don't forget your putting a lot more torque through the clutch and drive train. If you want to stop it i reckon a uprated clutch would do the trick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks g-master, thats certainly more along the lines of what I was thinking / hoping!!!!

How does the power band feel in your car, after the remap? Does the power seem to tail off a bit after about 3250 ish rpms?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There was a Passat on here a while back with similar symptoms, which turned out to be the clutch.

It *could* be a driveshaft, if the CV joints are worn you can get a vibration under acceleration.

Engine mounts could be a problem if the engine is moving a touch tooo far and the engine is touching something else, eg, there's little clearance between the manifolds and bulkhead, exhaust could be touching underbody, etc...

·
Registered
348 Posts
mine holds on to about 4000 rpm but always find it better to change up before that about 3500 rpm! it's pretty normal for power to tail off at about 3500 rpm nothing to worry about mate. What maf have you got? Im using a Merc maf seems to rev more freely then the bosch.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I too suffer from these judder problems. Only noticible once my remapped ECU was on the car, but even with a brand new MAF its still there sometimes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I cannot be sure, but haven't we had some threads with similar symptoms and the problem was something to do with "dual mass flywheel"?

Maybe a search will turn something up. Trying to help ..... [:|]

·
Registered
766 Posts
also got this vibration on my chipped 110, started doing it a few months back, to me it feels like the early stages of the clutch slipping[:'(]

·
Registered
318 Posts
I`ve had this problem on my 2000 TDI 110 (70 000miles) since I brought it . It was eventually traced to worn inner CV joints which vibrated under load due to worn ball bearings/CV joint housing. The fault became worse when towing or accelerating and I went for a pair of recon shafts ?80 a side which cured it once and for all.

[8-|]

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is the same thing that is happening with mine!

I have changed the wheels etc also i have changed the Passenger side full shaft as i thought it was that, im unsure as to whether to change the drivers side one now.

I thought it was an engine mount but seems im peeing up a wall at the moment.

Did you replace both shafts together or just the joints?

Many thanks

Gary

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'll lay money it's one of your inner CV joints. That's ?220 all in from a dealer fitted inc VAT and fitting ...

I had this on mine... after I had the clutch and duel mass flywheel changed thanks to missdiagnosis at the stealer.

The clutch and duel mass is ?1100 from VAG, though about ?650 at G&S and they're the same make! LuK clutches..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice one fella makes feel a bit better that im getting closer to it.

I have done the passenger side never thought it would be the drivers side though.

ill let you know

Gaz

Off to the doc's hahahaha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just arrived back from AWESOME.......

Still no joy, they replaced the rear "dogmount" (rear mount from under engine to body ) as they showed as it was shot at.

But that made it feel like i was driving a bus!They removed it and put the old one back on.

So im still unsure what to do next.

Think ill replace the long drive shaft and see what that does.

Keep watching as i may end up with a totally new car built up from new bits

hahahahahahah

Gaz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just changed the drivers side Inner c\v joint and its stopped.yipppppeeeee

After three months of sulking why didnt i do this in the first place.

Thansk a lot guys.

Anyone any idea about a good suspension setup that wont break the bank.

Thansk

Gaz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.