Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all, in regards to tuning or general engine respects which of the above do you reakon?

Obvisouly the PD engine is alot more modern with the fancy injection system. Are they really that different?

After reading some previous posts about the TDI 110 having the 150 turbo bolted on, will this still apply to the 100 PS TDi?

I have looked around and if possible ill do for the PD engine as it seems that much more responsive to tuning.

What about the Injectors on the PD. Will they be a more viable option to have over the TDI when installing the 150 turbo?

Im really after technical options here. I kno the PD would be a better option. But is there a technical reason why the 110 TDI would be a better option?

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
445 Posts
PD injectors are mega expensive, I don't think the block on the PD100 is as strong as the pd130 or 150 and it has a 5 speed box. I suppose the only technical reason the 110 tdi is 'better' is because its been around longer and people know what works on it compared to relatively new PD technology, have a look on the FAQ on www.tdiclub.com

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Aidan, seems from my other post on buying either of the two cars the 110 would be a more viable option.

Is the end result of the discussion that the 150 turbo would fit the 110 TDI no problem?

Is the turbo, PD Technology, and intercooler the only difference between the likes of the 110 TDI and 150 PD? Aside from the 5 speed gear box.

What are the injectors to go for with the 110 TDI?

·
Registered
445 Posts
VW Transporter injectors are used, well 4 of the 5 are, though others are available. 150 turbo is apparently a straight forward fit with a FMIC, pipework wouldn't work for the standard side mount. Injectors alone on this engine bring it to about 140bhp-ish, with the turbo aswell you'd need the clutch sorted - trend was VR6 flywheel and clutch, though i'm sure a normal uprated clutch is out now.

It would also need mapping, if it was me i'd want to try a rocketchips map from the US, seems to get good figures.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a quick read of the FAQs on tdiclub.com. Rather interesting and almost quite worrying too lol!

Well with the 150 turbo, front mounted intercooler and transporter injectors will it not require a custom map to be properly set up / implimented? Unless a chip/remap for the 150 would do be similar enough? Custom mapping obviously costing a fair wack of ?!

For a budget solution i guess the 150 cluch + flywheel would be sufficient? Though a map on a 150 seems to get near 300lbs/ft whick AFAIK is around the limit of the clutches?? So that would be out of the question i guess.

With the 110 TDI turbo, Transporter Injectors and a turbo back exhaust, is the 110 turbo going to be up to the job?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Probably worth doing that, I think its the turbo that'll go first so replace that with a 150pd when it happens. 300lb/ft is the limit of the pd clutch but way past the supposed limit of the 5 speed box, and I don't think that clutch and flywheel is compatible with the box.

Are you still deciding on which car to get then? I'd really consider all costs involved with this including insurance and re-sale against a chipped pd130.

If you are set on tuning up a 100/100 theres a bloke from NI on tdiclub you should get in touch with called diesel_des, i've only been in brief contact with him but he really knows his stuff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not good news about the 5 speed box :(.

Well the best i could get would be the 110 TDI. Tuning would be a gradual thing if it happens.

If i get a chance ill look up the guy to see what he has to say.

Thanks for the help Aidan made! Learnt alot :)!

·
Registered
445 Posts
He's not a tuner as such but can advise you much better on limits of certain parts. With the standard turbo, new injectors and good exhaust you'd probably get a good balance of good power without wrecking clutches and gearboxes.

The americans seem to be further ahead though, and it might be worth reading up on powerplus injectors and the 11mm pump mod from an auto tdi. Exchange rate may also work out favourable too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an fyi, the pd 100 is new to the usa but I have gotten it remapped by www.rocketchip.com and it now puts 151hp/274 torque to the wheels with no other mods. Some people have reported clutch slippage,but my pd has been fine. The 110 tdi definitley has more upgrade options at the moment, but generally need more than just a remap to get above 150 wheel hp.

·
Registered
990 Posts
So what's the difference? Even if it was measured at the flywheel it still sounds high. My car gets around 145bhp at the wheels if you want to split hairs. Also he's talking about nearly 100lb/ft of torque more than std. I only managed an increase of 52lbs/ft.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To the wheels meaning fly wheel and at the wheels meaning the power you are putting onto the ground.

I have seen similar figures quoted before several times.

I guess the wording wasnt totally clear [B)]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey bob, another NI guy... welcome.

Revo with Triple 7 all the way hehe.

Just to digress...Does anyone know if revo can customise the map for a car that had an exhaust etc to get the best gain out of it?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.