Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Not really, Im with Admiral, its all proportional, but as Im only 19 with 0 NCB it was the best way for me to build it up . . .

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
The scheme seems to work fine, i was on it last year, although i think it works out a little bit more per month. I'm sure it would work out cheaper in the long run though!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i did a 10 month policy with elephant, then 4 months with another company, then cancelled it, and took out a 10month one with admiral. that way it works out over two years i still have two years NCB. My 4month company, HIC, wanted stupid amounts to change to the golf, thats why i got another 10month one to get back on track. works out well for me!

The only think i can think of is that when you renew your policy you would of had your license for 10months and not a year!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I enquired about this a few years ago and a couple of companies said that they wouldn't recognise a bonus accelerator policy as a full years no claims.

It made sense that the companies doing these policies were encouraging you to stay with them because your NCB wouldn't be recognised by anybody else......

BUT

all you need as proof of no claims for a policy is your renewal from your previous company which will state how many years NCB you have. So as long as the renewal letter you get from Elephant says you've got a year then other comapnies will accept it.

And evidence from Carlos seems to suggest attiduted of other companies are changing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
alot of drivers aged less than 25 find it hard to get insurance. but my son recently went on to positivepresent.com and got interest free insurance on a 9 month accelerator. Plus he is paying monthly which has made it really affordable.

One thing i was wondering was where is the best place to find pay as you go insurance? does this work and is it cost effective?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had a 9 month accelerator with norwich union, giving me 2 years ncb in their eyes, but i tried fair few other companies when i had to renew my policy and they wouldnt accept it as two years only one. This was a bit of a gutter tbh so i basically had to stay with norwich union.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used to be with elephant and am now with admiral and even though they are the same company i could not transfer my 10 month bonus accelerator as a full years no claims!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Yep load of rubbish. It looks atractive because you pay a couple of hundred quid less but your actually paying more in the long run. I got fooled into one in my first 9 months.

Unlucky for them I had a crash which cost more than my premium and rediculous excess added up so atleast I got my moneys worth and new stone chip free front end!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
This thread's almost 5yrs old
Haha! I got a bit emotional reading this thread - I remember struggling back then, now I'm an OAP insurance is a bit easier! Shows how long I have been habging around on here, lol! ...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol i saw this come up on 'my posts' and wondered what the hell was going on

i never did get the 10 month bonus accelerator in case anyone is looking for closure

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
i never did get the 10 month bonus accelerator in case anyone is looking for closure
I can sleep well at night again now [:DD]

My insurance is due next Thursday actually. I've been on a 10mth accelerator last year. Worked ok for me and cranked up my NCB a bit quicker (which was the idea). I'm ready for a 12 month policy now though. My premium has gone down this year and thats with telling them about the alloys I've recently bought. I don't want to seem too happy with it, I'd still rather keep the money [:D]

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I know this is an old post (used the search feature works!) but,

I was suckered in into taking part in the 10 month scheme (seemed like a good idea at the time) I've now realised they have me by the short and curly's! They can still charge me silly amounts when my renewal comes round (October) cause if i dont want to pay i have to go elsewhere with 0 NCB.

My question is - has anyone successfully transferred a years no claims from a 10 month scheme to another insurance policy?

Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yes. Have been with admiral before (a few years ago) on a 10 month accelerator and it still counts as a year. I can't understand how people don't manage to transfer it when most quotes are online and you just enter your NCB details anyway so its not like your even asking them if its ok!

Also, it will say on your renewal doc you have gained 1 yr no claims and thats what matters when a new company is asking for proof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts