Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Jings mate!!! That's well OTT

Changed all mine without taking the bumper off!!

Quite easy, you just have to work out how do to it as you go along, prb took me 30-40 mins first time!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I've got big hands AND a v6 beast and I managed to change the lights without taking off the bumper- It was much harder (got loads of scratches on my hand- but im hard![:D][:eek:)]) and took much longer to do then when I did the change on the GTI though!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I managed to change mine in my 1.8T without taking the bumper off. Got lots of scratches and it took me a good hour (or 2) to do!!!

Looking at the picture it looks like there is plenty of room to manouve though where the rest of the engine should be. [;)] he he.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just a quicky, but how the hell did you remove the bumper without removing the front grille? Anyone else noticed?

There are about 5 torx screws underneath the grille

·
Registered
454 Posts
Looks like he did take it off, then just let it rest there. Takes me 3 minutes to do a drivers side bulb, 6 minutes to do a passenger side bulb, guitarist = flexible fingers [:D]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Takes me about 3hours 10mins. 10mins to change the bulbs, 3hours to wait for a new panel to be welded after kicking it in with frustration.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by tophuh on 21/12/2004 16:52:21

Looks like he did take it off, then just let it rest there. Takes me 3 minutes to do a drivers side bulb, 6 minutes to do a passenger side bulb, guitarist = flexible fingers [:D]

Martial Artists, bloody strong and flexible fingers[:D][:D]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Just did mine this afternoon as I had to change the headlight. The hardest bit was taking the fog light out of the old unit cos I didn't have the right size spanner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only took 1.5 hours, and 15 mins of that was trying first with the bumper on!

Could get the bulbs out, just couldn't fix the retaining clip back on, as I couldn't see it.

Any way all done now and night vision is 50% better with good old Phillips Vision Plus(Main and dipped)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote: posted by gaz8512 on 21/12/2004 15:46:17

I changed my bulbs twice on my gti, only takes aprox 45 mins, even if you do take off the bumper, I admit it took about 1h20 the first time.

After you have done it once its easy, VW wanted ?120 to do it, i told em to F*/k off.

Have a look at this link, it helps if you aint done it before

http://home.nycap.rr.com/brandonc/headlight/

That's a great how to guide!

I'll have to go through these motions when I get my Black Angel Eyes from R1GTI!

It's a lot better seeing exactly where you have to remove screws etc. than read the text from a Haynes manual.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts