Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,902 Posts
I've got big hands AND a v6 beast and I managed to change the lights without taking off the bumper- It was much harder (got loads of scratches on my hand- but im hard![:D][:eek:)]) and took much longer to do then when I did the change on the GTI though!

· Registered
56 Posts
I managed to change mine in my 1.8T without taking the bumper off. Got lots of scratches and it took me a good hour (or 2) to do!!!

Looking at the picture it looks like there is plenty of room to manouve though where the rest of the engine should be. [;)] he he.

· Registered
1,902 Posts
Quote: posted by tophuh on 21/12/2004 16:52:21

Looks like he did take it off, then just let it rest there. Takes me 3 minutes to do a drivers side bulb, 6 minutes to do a passenger side bulb, guitarist = flexible fingers [:D]

Martial Artists, bloody strong and flexible fingers[:D][:D]

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only took 1.5 hours, and 15 mins of that was trying first with the bumper on!

Could get the bulbs out, just couldn't fix the retaining clip back on, as I couldn't see it.

Any way all done now and night vision is 50% better with good old Phillips Vision Plus(Main and dipped)

· Registered
132 Posts
Quote: posted by gaz8512 on 21/12/2004 15:46:17

I changed my bulbs twice on my gti, only takes aprox 45 mins, even if you do take off the bumper, I admit it took about 1h20 the first time.

After you have done it once its easy, VW wanted ?120 to do it, i told em to F*/k off.

Have a look at this link, it helps if you aint done it before

http://home.nycap.rr.com/brandonc/headlight/

That's a great how to guide!

I'll have to go through these motions when I get my Black Angel Eyes from R1GTI!

It's a lot better seeing exactly where you have to remove screws etc. than read the text from a Haynes manual.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.