Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I saw a 1 series outside of BMW wollaston (Northampton) with viper stripes running all over it from front to back - yep the exact same as the mini would have. It just didn't work and to make matters even worse it can't be blamed on the bad taste of a customer either as it was their demo car [:D]

Can you imagine VW doing that, I think not [:p]

I used to think the one series was being pitched a class above the golf but now - oh dear oh dear - dodgy 1 series everywhere .....

So then Sir would you like the chilli pack with your one series [:eek:)]

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a look-see at the 1 series (for research purposes of course) in the local BM garage and I was not impressed. V cheap looking interior, nee room in the back, looks like a rowing boat from the side [xx(]

People buying this are after the badge, if they want a BM why not get 2nd hand 3 series??

VAG for me every time - the new A3 Sportback is class [^]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yep - had a close look at the BMW 1 Series at the Paris Motor show... how cheap doe it look in side!!!! Aweful. The MK5 is hugely better by comparison. Plus the standard kit is crap. Okay it drives brilliantly (as all BMWs should) but it looks like a crock of poo pooe!

BMW will always struggle to design a stylish "hatchback"

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by Chris on 07/10/2004 10:19:01

I seen my first one on the road yesterday..... truly awful. [:(]

Yea me too, was on the way home last night & I though "WTF does that look like", some up herself young exec driving it,it was a 118d too, slow as a snail, couldnt tell if had wheel trims on though.

You pay 16k & get wheel trims !!!!

I went to look at one a few weeks ago, Only to get the free PS2 1 SERIES GT4 game they were giving out.... The 530DSport next to it was sweet though, full M kit on it[^]

·
Registered
737 Posts
I agree with all posted comments; I sat in one the other day. I can't think of one redeeming feature. The exterior is hideous, the interior is cheap and cramped compared to competition, spec is poor for money and engine range not brilliant. Ok, so they might drive well but so does most of the competition now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anyone tried driving one though? I test drove a 120d sport and have to say I felt it was way quicker than a Golf PD150 that I also recently test drove. Also I dunno if the PD150 had been sat around for a while or what but it was smokin' like an old taxi in comparison and only had 350 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
712 Posts
There's 1, sorry, one parked at work... had a sit in it, and not keen at all! Looks like a 3 series at the front and then goes all odd towards the rear!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Quote: posted by rommel on 07/10/2004 19:25:02

Anyone tried driving one though? I test drove a 120d sport and have to say I felt it was way quicker than a Golf PD150 that I also recently test drove. Also I dunno if the PD150 had been sat around for a while or what but it was smokin' like an old taxi in comparison and only had 350 miles on the clock.

I thought 120d was slower than 150 PD - and noisier and narrower rev range - in short worse.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I like 'em but then I'm a biased BMW fan at heart, if they did one (yet) that was quicker than an R32 I'd be tempted.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Saw one the other day near local BM place. Looks very awkward, the lines from the side look sooooooooo stretched. Thought it was supposed to be a smallish car, looked big and bulky but narrow if that makes sense?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was really looking forward to the 1 coming out as had a BMW 3 before, liked it but wanted something smaller.

Originally they said it would undercut the Golf, yeah right!

Even if it did I wouldn't buy one having seen it, it's really ugly, what are BMW doing?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I initially hated it but the local dealer I drive past every day has a charcoal grey model with decent wheels and blacked out trim that actually looks almost ok. Still not for me in any way shape or form though.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I wouldnt say that the 1 series is as ugly as BMW's latest attempts at bigger cars, but its not nice looking either.

But lets face it, BMW really need to sack their designers after the dogs dinner they have made of the new;

7 Series

6 Series

5 Series

X3 Series

Having just come from Denmark on business, where car tax is 100%, but taxi's avoid that tax, hence all Taxis are new top line cars, I have had the pleasure of several runs in 5 series and 7 Series BM's as well as E and S class Mercs.

Now obviously I aint driven them, but I can say that the Mercs are far nicer looking ( I think Mercs have really taken advantage of BMW's latest fashion crises and have produced some stunners. The interiors are of a muchness although the dash is much nicer in the Merc IMO.

Mercedes should launch an M3 and M5 equivalent with a proper badge to get younger people in to them like BMW did.

Oh, lord wont you buy me, a Mercedes Benz,

Coz Beemers are minging, they must make amends,

Snapped a 5,6 and 7 series, thought I busted my lens,

So Lord, wont you buy me a Mercedes Benz..

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by djhorace on 08/10/2004 07:44:41

But lets face it, BMW really need to sack their designers after the dogs dinner they have made of the new;

Blame the Bangle.

Posted Image

·
Registered
666 Posts
I respect BMW for daring to be different.

The old 5 series looked dull and the new one looks fresh.

Z4 looks good too.

Not keen on the 6 series a*se but the rest of it's good and the 7 seris has bags of presence, although it's a bit odd.

X3 is a duffer but at least they have the balls to try.

Everyone else just churns out the same old stuff.

New M5 - Yes please [:D]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts