Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
ive just come over from a 1.8 focus to a 1.9tdi bora, ( 110 ) and compared to that and my mates golf 1.6 petrol its so much faster and you can sort of feel like car riding on the touqe if you get what i mean, sorta physically feel the speed. i love it! im 18 with a years no claims and the insurance is £1400 a year which is a barginroma

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 1.9s are good engines, if there looked after properly can go on for ages. Also the torque on it would be ridiculousy higher than the 1.4. Then you can remap it etc..

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Great cars . But if you have never driven a diesel before..... expect a shock. Its a different way to drive and until you get it right you will not enjoy the car

good luck

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
The 1.9TDi AGR 90 like i have are cheap to insure, would have got the 130 but i had a crash in my last car and the insurance wanted to bend me over so go the 90 instead.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When i bought mine i looked at the insurance for the 90bhp, the 110bhp and the newer 130bhp ones, and the 90 and 110 bhp were the same price to insure, but the 130 was way higher!

The 110 isn't exactly fast.. but it's not slow either. It's a much different kind of power to petrol. Much nicer to drive, and just goes up hills with no problem. Motorways are nice too.

I think diesel is nicer to drive, but less fun.

50mpg is good though [:D]

I'd look at getting a 115 PD engine if you can afford it. I couldn't, so got the 110!

I'm still paying 1800 a year for insurance.. and i've been driving for over 3 years and i'm nearly 21.

·
Registered
473 Posts
ive got a 1.9 tdi and i love it.

reliable and starts first time every time.

performance is good and excellent at overtaking but tends to leave a big black cloud behind you when you floor it lol

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
well im looking for something with a bit of power but good on insurance ( i know impossible) but the tdi seems to be ok. and to be honest ill find anything fast compared to my 1.4. my dad says it will be fairly fast and tourqy
It definitely has power. I'm coming from a Saxo VTR (forgive me) and i'd say i'm more confident overtaking in this car. I recon it's a much more useable power, as no matter what gear you're in it'll shift.

Go for it though, you'd be lucky to get something quicker insured for less. When i was 17 it would have cost me the same to insure a 1.1 saxo (60bhp?) than to insure a 306 D turbo (110bhp?).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
saxo
haha well im planning on doing the swap when i turn 18 or round about then, cant wait for more power and not to be bricking myself when overtaking. diesels seem to be a lot easier on insurance for some reason
Overtaking will definitely be a lot easier. You'll still brick it when overtaking though.. even when you know you can make it safely [:)]

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
haha. well when i get it ill post up on here
probably be quite a while though, just getting opinions and looking just now
Another thing to consider... when i was looking, the bora was a lot cheaper to insure than the golf. Maybe by about 400 quid.

Meant i was under the 2 grand mark at least [:p]

·
Registered
219 Posts
I went from a 1.8t Audi A4 Quattro to a Golf tdi 100 and the golf feels faster 95% of the time. Plus its £60 for 6 Months tax and does around 550 miles to a full tank. TDI ALL THE WAY [au]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts