Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to drive Mk Vs with these engines to offer a comparison?  I am thinking it would be a GT versus a 'Sport' or an SE with the 1.9.  I am just wondering if I should change to a Sport TDI but do not have the time to test drive this week.  The reason is, I do not think I am using the performance in the GT but I am paying a big premium on muy insurance.  Its the way I drive I guess, I really purchased the GT for the looks and features (and it was a good deal). Now I can get a brand new fully loaded Sport that looks externally and internally the same as my GT, the only difference is that I can get the stuff I am missing on my car such as armrest and highline computer, but will I miss the performance? I suppose only I can be the judge of that at the end of the day but I would welcome any comments.

·
Registered
874 Posts
You probably would miss the power going from 140 to 105. I think the 1.9 lump is a bit rougher too, although I haven't driven a 2.0TDI.

Do you already have your 2.0? If so, don't think about changing. The dealers will have to make a profit from you changing so you will lose out and it will outweigh any potential savings on insurance.

If you're talking about changing an order though it's a different story. There's no point in paying for something you wont use, so get a drive in a 1.9 sport and see what you think.[:D]

·
Registered
643 Posts
I really like my Sport - very comfortable to drive on long trips and has quite a bit of umph when needed. The 6 speed box is also nice and smooth. Being the 1.9TDI, the fuel economy is excellent. On the 13500 miles I've done in it since end of November the computer is saying 55mpg average. I normally get between 480-510 miles out of a tank, depending on driving style.

However, I think you'll probably miss the extra umph from your GT - If I'd had the choice I would have gone for the GTTDI, but the company didn't allow me this time round being my first company car. Still, you'll probably save a few pennies at the pump if you go for Sport, plus if you add front fogs and de-badge the rear, no-one will be able to tell that you're driving a 1.9 instead of a 2.0 [:D]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies chaps. I already have a GT, but I only paid ?15k for it (used) and will probably not lose much if I find a private buyer.

The point is I am really not using the performance that is available in the 140PS engine and I suspect I will not really notice much of a difference most of the time going to the 1.9. However I will try to get a drive in as soon as poss and let you know my findings. If there is a significant difference I will stick with the GT.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've had the PD130 MK4 and now have the PD140 MK5.

They offer very similar performance but deliver it in totally different fashions.

The new 2L 16v engine revs more like a petrol car (in the 'free' manner) and allows the torque to be spread wider over the revs.

I used to prefer the 1,9L 8v but with my remap and de-cat, I think I prefer my current version.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 1.9 TDI (105) Touran and in addition have just ordered a 2.0 GTTDI Golf. Having test driven the Golf I have to say that the engine is in a different league in terms of acceleration, although I do like the "laziness" of the Touran. It's great for doing distances with the family but would disappoint if thrills on bendy roads were required - hence the Golf engine choice. You could always buy a 1.9 and re-chip. I've heard that 150bhp is within reach. I am a bit nervous about the fuel economy of the 2.0 TDI as I do big annual mileage, but it's worth a few hundred quid a year more to love the driving experience.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do not need to have any fears about fuel ecconomy with the 2.0 as its very good indeed, in fact only one or two mpg lower than the 1.9.  I get 500 miles on a tank before I really need to fill up (say 20 miles range showing on the mfc) and 50mpg on m'way journeys of more than 15  miles or so.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would stick with th 2.0TDI; you could drive a 1.9TDI to compare for yourself. I've driven both a GT TDI and an SE TDI and imo there is no comparison; I was quite disappointed by the 1.9/105 car; perhaps the one I drove was a poor example but it seemed to be one of the slowest recent Golfs that I've driven. I would expect that you would have to add some money to your car and imo there's no point; the 2.0TDI will always be worth more. Another post mentioned chipping a 1.9/105 to 150bhp..eh I don't think so. My 1.9/150 will make about 185/190 so a smaller power gain from a stronger base engine.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Another post mentioned chipping a 1.9/105 to 150bhp..eh I don't think so. My 1.9/150 will make about 185/190 so a smaller power gain from a stronger base engine.
I thought it should be possible. Is the 1.9TDI in golf V not the same basic engine as all the TDI versions (110/130/150) in the Golf IV?

I would agree though that sticking to the 2.0TDI makes more sense than chipping a 1.9TDI.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Various companies offer the following:

Oettinger quotes 136bhp from a 105bhp base.

Superchips quotes 132 from a 105bhp base.

Upsolute quotes 145 from a 115bhp base.

Revo quotes 150 from a 115bhp base.

·
Registered
31 Posts
me too, I have driven both and the 105 doesn't offer enough power for me, as Foxy said the 2.0tdi does take some getting used to after the 1.9PD due to its power delivery it really is very petrol like, I am still undecided as to wether i prefer it to my PD150 as I was very fond of the old neck jerking power delivery but be in no doubt it is a very quick car and should hold better residuals being the new kid on the block

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Intresting thread. I'm looking at replacing my car for the GT TD and ideally I want a used car, but if I can get a suitable discount on a Golf I'd probably go new. Anyway although I haven't driven the 105, I have a a good go in the 140 and would say that it wouldn't consider the 105 I would always feel like I made the wrong choice in going for the smaller output.

Although you say you don't use the power there will come a day when you will want the extra umph and won't have it !

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You do not need to have any fears about fuel ecconomy with the 2.0 as its very good indeed, in fact only one or two mpg lower than the 1.9. I get 500 miles on a tank before I really need to fill up (say 20 miles range showing on the mfc) and 50mpg on m'way journeys of more than 15 miles or so.
These figures are very optimistic from my experience.

Certainly driving around city traffic you won't see 500 miles out of a tank as fas as I'm concerned.

I've once seen over 500 miles out of a tank and that was with almost non stop driving.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These figures are very optimistic from my experience.

Certainly driving around city traffic you won't see 500 miles out of a tank as fas as I'm concerned.

I've once seen over 500 miles out of a tank and that was with almost non stop driving.
Irish, its not a question of optimism, just fact. I fill up the tank, zero the trip meter and, regardless of driving conditions, do not need to think about returning to tghe filling station until at least 500 miles have elapsed. In fact last time 507 miles had elapsed and I had, a day or so after re-filling inadverdantly zeroed the trip meter so the true figure was rather more.

I live in North London by the way, not in the countryside.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well you either drive like a granny or someone put the 3.0 TDI V6 lump into my car without telling me [;)]

Before it was remapped 450 out of a tank would be the norm with 90% city driving.

Most people with the 2.0TDI will confirm it is not anywhere near as economical as the 1.9 equivalent was.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts