Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new Vauxhall Vectra

Posted Image

1.9 CDTI (common rail) with twin sequential Turbos [:O] - so it has low down torque 400NM [:O] at 1400 RPM and high end power = 212 BHP.

0-60 6 sec !!!

OK I know the VW Tarek (Paris-Dakar "Toy") had a 1.9 225 BHP engine, but that is a VW special.

In theory as PDs offer much higher injection pressure and the engines are 2.0 (OK only a tiny difference) VW should really push the boat out on the new GTI PD - we want 250 BHP [:D][:D]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'll probably get my head kicked in for saying this, but i still think there are many better diesel engines out there than the VAG ones. Mercedes, BMW, even Ford to a degree all have a level of refinement that is lost on the VAG engines. Most of the Mercs and BMWs ive heard on idle barely sound like a diesel.

Just my opinion! [;)]

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The extra noise is associated with the PD unit injectors which currently offer much higher (up to 50%) pressure than Common Rail.

Because of the individual "pumps" or "sqirters" (like a a piezo electric ink jet but much stronger), there is a definite "staccato" nature to the PD/VAG diesels.

Common Rail, not surprisingly havs a "common rail" or piping that is singly pressuried by a conventional pump (albeit very high pressure) and injectors/valves to control/allow fuel in at each cylinder. Hence more continous and quiet process.

The upside to the PDs is that they can be much more controlleable for performance or economy/emissions. The higher pressure allowing greater atomisation for burn (economy and performance) and greater fuelling per injection window if required (greater performance).

They can also inject a set amount of fuel 50% quicker (if the injection window/swirl is being used for burn control). The noise is associated with the short injection window aswell.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I had a rental vectra in germany last month it was a tdi, (GTS) and I was plouging along at 230kph which is roughly 140mph. It was flat to pick up from low speed, but the thing was flying on th bahn, and had the traffic been right it would have climbed a little higher. I was impressed. Not an amazing car but for a diesel at high speed it was ok.

·
Registered
140 Posts
quite a tidy looking tool imho (not a massive GM fan)

imagine getting it chipped

ciaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yup, but it is a Vauxhall, and worse, its a Vectra.

ie - Consistently bad in customer opinion polls, road tests, depreciation tables, reliabilty tests and in the minds of their (mostly) company car drivers.

Remember the old MG Maestro Turbo. It turned heads too when it was new, but it is/was still a shed!

I had a 1996 Vauxhall Ashtray 2.0 16v and it was the worst car I ever owned. Rust on it after 2 years of age and every type of sensor, bush etc etc went on it. Even the gearbox was'nt fit for its 136 ponies.

I would sooner have a bus pass than a Vauxhall Vectra, but it is good to see diesel tecnology go past the 200bhp barrier. I am sure VAG, Ford and other manufacturers have an equivalent inthe pipeline...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoa there boy!

I wasn't trying to sell you one.

I'm not a fan of Vauxhall either (dull mainly to an asthmatic Ashtray as well!) - just thought it indicated an important trend in diesel capabilities and indeed the greater courage that the car companies are having to fit "tractor engines" to cars, and cars that are getting more and more "sporty" - in output if not styling, handling etc [/vectra].

It was more of a "If vauxhall can do this [and they have a history of shockingly bad diesels] - then what goodies will VAG group pull out the bag in the near future?"

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I really like that, is it me or does it not have rear head rests though?!?

Apart from some tints id leave that as it is! Like the wheels and colour and everything!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by djhorace on 02/08/2004 16:45:45

Yup, but it is a Vauxhall, and worse, its a Vectra.

ie - Consistently bad in customer opinion polls, road tests, depreciation tables, reliabilty tests and in the minds of their (mostly) company car drivers.

Remember the old MG Maestro Turbo. It turned heads too when it was new, but it is/was still a shed!

But isn't the point that in about a year you can pick one up for about a tenner?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I saw this baby in the Autotrader about three weeks ago, what a machine!!!

BMW has the same idea on the new 525TD....

I've owned one Vauxhall before and it wasn't that bad really. I spent a hell of a lot less money on services than the Golf, although I was only doing half the mileage then. That probably explains it.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yup. I agree M4X. If Vauxhall can get 212 ponies out of a 1.9 litre oil burner, like I said, I am sure the rest of the pack are not far behind.

Only yesterday I noticed Seat are selling the Ibiza in Cupra form with a 160 BHP TDi PD engine. At the end of the year VW are said to have a 170-180bhp derivative of the new 2.0TDi unit for the diesel Golf GTi. 200bhp and 40+mpg will soon be here and affordable to most.

As you may have noticed I aint a big Vauxhall fan. It will be worth waiting to see if the Vectra is as bad as the old GTE 16v which couldnt cope with its 150bhp, and needed new Cylinder Heads after 3 years etc!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Agree with Chris too - the VAG PDs are great engines and all but they do lack the refinement of the 530D for example - particularly the new 5 Series. You can barely hear it at idle.

Now having said that, I haven't stood beside the VAG 2.5 or 3.0 TDI so it's unfair to say they are all the same but the other day I sat into a petrol car and I asked the driver was it switched on, being so used to my 2.0 TDI!?!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts