Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new around here so apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm looking to buy a mk4 Golf GTI; are there many 1.8T variations for the GTI? i assume the engine(s) have no fudamental differences only that their outputs are due to different ecu maps and turbos etc.

p.s. what does AGU stand for?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
AGU is the engine type, the earliest Golf 1.8T version - non-DBW, K03 turbo and a big port head. Didn't have any electrical gizmos so don't expect ESP or ASR. Doesn't give as much power as the newer DBW versions from a simple chip (or software flash upgrade). Still a very good engine though if you can't afford the new DBW type.

Easiest way to tell is the lack of a throttle cable on the DBW versions as the intake is at the front of the engine.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Best bet is to find a car newer than 2001 if you intend to mod the engine. Also bhp was increase on later models to 180bhp if you can find one.

Take time to browse the classifieds on the forum, may come up with a good 1.8t.

And by the way. Welcome to the forum [:)]

·
Registered
813 Posts
Gti Jazz Blue Posted - 21 Mar 2005 : 17:26:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AGU is the engine type, the earliest Golf 1.8T version - non-DBW, K03 turbo and a big port head. Didn't have any electrical gizmos so don't expect ESP or ASR. Doesn't give as much power as the newer DBW versions from a simple chip (or software flash upgrade). Still a very good engine though if you can't afford the new DBW type.

Easiest way to tell is the lack of a throttle cable on the DBW versions as the intake is at the front of the engine.

When you mean software flash upgrade I take it you mean Revo etc??

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote: posted by zekegti on 21/03/2005 17:41:42

Best bet is to find a car newer than 2001 if you intend to mod the engine. Also bhp was increase on later models to 180bhp if you can find one.

Take time to browse the classifieds on the forum, may come up with a good 1.8t.

And by the way. Welcome to the forum [:)]

Doesn't that depend on the mods your planning....??? Aren't Jabba getting more power from the earlier engines.....?

·
Registered
445 Posts
the agu has bigger ports in the head so if our looking to go for big power then there a good start. but they come with a k03 which is not a great turbo for tuning you will have to upgrade to a k03s to get over 190ish bhp but with this upgrade you will be able to get up to 245ish bhp. after that your looking at big money turbo upgrades and that will take you well over 300BHP[:D]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have an aftermarket ecu which i would like to use and ain't scared of changing around turbos etc. So with that in mind would the AGU be a good choice?

p.s. not aiming to be thick but what is ESP and ASR short for?

·
Registered
64 Posts
because im different.. why o why would i want to be the same as everyone else :) with the miltek, and dual pipe box.. fair enough its r32 style, but bigger.. think it gives the car an aggressive look, and sound too

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gti Anniversary front grill badge

Turbo badge

Dump Valve

Jetex Panel Filter

Hella smoked rear lights

Smoked Side Repeaters

-40mm GMax springs and dampers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The aftermarket ecu i have is Autronic - a very good piece of kit. IMO its only competitor is Motec; figures really as the guy who used to desgin Motec left and set up his own company, Autronic. Worth a real look at if your after an aftermarket ecu. Its by no means the cheapest but you get what you pay your money for.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah I completely agree that you get what you pay for. Does it support controlling an electronig drive-by-wire throttle or does it only support cable throttle? If you're using your Autronic ECU then you would be as well going for an AGU engine as it will be a better foundation for a bigger turbo later on due to the big port head.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote: posted by JRS on 23/03/2005 13:40:58

The aftermarket ecu i have is Autronic - a very good piece of kit. IMO its only competitor is Motec; figures really as the guy who used to desgin Motec left and set up his own company, Autronic. Worth a real look at if your after an aftermarket ecu. Its by no means the cheapest but you get what you pay your money for.

how much?? easy to fit?? I'm an AGU'er and lookin to chip for the summer[:D]

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote: posted by leefrizz on 23/03/2005 15:36:01

how much?? easy to fit?? I'm an AGU'er and lookin to chip for the summer[:D]

You'd be better off getting something like an Upsolute or Jabbasport chip, unless you're planning a big turbo change etc as an aftermarket ECU like the one mentioned above replaces the entire factory ECU, not just the chip and will be ?1K > ?2K.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts