Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Currently looking at both the mk4 1.8t & the V5. I'm sure this question has probably been asked thousands of times before on here, but I couldn't locate anything recent. Basically I'm after advice & pro's/con's of owning both models as am undecided on which to go for.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I have both models sitting on my drive at the moment [:D]

Bearing in mind that the 1.8T is a golf and the V5 is a Bora (Slightly heavier)

1.8T:

- Fast off the mark, as soon as that turbo kicks in you CAN feel it and it will make you think your travelling faster than you actually are.
- Normally come with Recaro's at least cloth seats. The Recaro's are hard, but supportive seats
- Good engine, no big issues really and long lasting, mines on 105,000 miles and doesnt miss a beat
- Although in the same insurance group as the V5, the 1.8T was for me, ?300 more expensive to insure
- Engine sounds like a hair dryer, theres not really any distingushing sound without adding on to it
- Amazing tunability, very easy to get it past 200bhp.

V5:
- Not so fast off the mark, but faster it seems in higher gears on the motorway when you put your foot down, more of a cruiser.
- Normally comes with extras such as climate and winter/summer packs, doesn't normally come with Recaro's. Bora's always seem to have more gizmo's inside them than the golf and the V5 Bora that I have is no exeption.
- Again, good engine, have seen these up around 180,000 miles. May be a bit more to service in terms of money
- Engine sounds absolutely beautiful. Nice burble and 1st gear when you put your foot down from standstill really does turn heads in the street because of the tunr it sings, especially if you add an aftermarket exhaust on.
- Tunability pretty much zero without spending big money, and even spending 4-500 quid will only get you 20bhp, whereas that same money on a 1.8T would get you around 220bhp.

Out of the 1.8T and the V5, I like the V5 better. Sure, the 1.8T throws you in to the back of your seat in second gear and really makes you think your flying, but the V5 just seems better to me, certainly sounds better.

If your after speed and tuning it, 1.8T without a doubt
If you after something a little different, not fussed about tuning and want a really nice engine note, V5

Both give roughly the same fuel comsumption I have found, which on normal driving seems to be around 32mpg.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've owned 2 x 1.8Ts and driven 3 V5s( both 150 and 170); I agree with some of W36EJO's comments but afaik his Bora has the 150bhp engine which from my experience is quite different from the 170bhp model. Maybe the 150 car I drove was a poor example but it seemed alot slower than my 1.8T and drank fuel. VW 0-60 figs; V5/150 Golf was quoted as 8.8, 1.8T was 8.5s. But the newer V5/170 model was definitely quicker off the mark(VW quote 8.2s). However the V5 mid-range is not as good as 1.8T; this being down to inferior torque characteristics. The engine note does sound great though; better than V6 imo. Regards the difference in spec; V5 was always better than 1.8T. All V5s should have climate(some early 1.8Ts don't have any aircon); later cars also had standard 6CD and rain sensor. Car is more of a fast cruiser than 1.8T; suspension set-up not brilliant as it doesn't come with sports pack.(This was an option though). If considering a V5 then I would look for a 170 model which was launched in Oct 2000; it has more power & torque and is more economical.(Has a 20v head rather than 10v) Note also that 3dr V5s were introduced then.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yes, I have the 150 version and it has a straight through ABT exhaust, which has probably given it a bit more oomph.

It is slower, though not majorly, a 1.8T would beat me 0-60 or dragging, easily. But that's not the reason I bought it.

Basically I have a 1.8T and it's got aircon, and erm, thats it, along with the Recaro's.

Ive now got a V5 bora that's fully kitted out, but as standard came with Climate, Heated Seats, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Washers, 6CD etc.

Again, I will say the speed is not what I bought the V5 for. I bought it because it ticked all the boxes for me (yes, the amount of extras I got with the car, which was a lot, helped). I found that when I had the 1.8T it was lovely to have that power there from the turbo, but 99% of the time I didnt use it. The only real time I used it was at the lights in a 40mph dual carriageway area next to some chav kid in a nova who was giving it some. I was going to go for another, lower mileage 1.8T before the V5 and tune its ass, but it made me think, why spend all that money tuning it, when normally I'm not using it and sat in traffic or stuck behind some slow bafoon. The ONLY time I used the speed of the car on the motorway was joining it and flying past everyone up until 80mph.

One thing I have noticed on the V5, is you have a VERY short time in first gear. Floor it and you have to change almost instantly which is loosing a bit of time.

I bought it because I wanted a nice sounding, fairly speedy car that was cheaper to insure and cheaper to buy. I got all that from the V5 and got a nice car in the process thanks to the previous owner who had spent a lot of money on it!!

It would have been nice to have had the 170bhp version, but you wouldnt find my car again at the price, so I settled for 150. I'm not really that fussed to be honest about the speed of the thing. You will still outperform a lot of 'normal' cars on the road if that's your thing.

You would have to spend a lot of money on a 1.8T to get the same spec as a V5 bora. I would honestly think about 3 grand more for the same car, different engine. Look for a 1.8T with the winter pack, 6CD, rain sensing wipers, climate etc and then look for the same in a V5. You'll see what I mean!

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you're thinking of getting a 1.8T then DO have a look at the 180PS
model and not the 150BHP model, as its quite quicker than either the
150 1.8T and the V5.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It might just be me, but I never really understood the point of getting a 180bhp over a 150bhp... unless you're going to keep it standard. If you're going to mod it then you're going to be getting a remap... and they both remap to the same level as its same engine and same turbo. The only difference is the 6 speed box? Which could actually be seen as a downside as more gearchanges = more lost time.

Just my 2p.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
It might just be me, but I never really understood the point of getting a 180bhp over a 150bhp... unless you're going to keep it standard. If you're going to mod it then you're going to be getting a remap... and they both remap to the same level as its same engine and same turbo. The only difference is the 6 speed box? Which could actually be seen as a downside as more gearchanges = more lost time.

Just my 2p.
The 180 also has bigger brakes at the front and vented brakes at the rear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i've owned both a 2001 150 18.t and my present 51 170 v5 and from what
i can remember of the 1.8t theres not alot if anything in it as the
turbo had the same spec as the v5 climate etc but had proper recaros. I
went from a 306 gti-6 to the 18.t so it did feel sluggish but the
quality was something else compared to peugeot and i also again went
from 306 gti-6 to v5 and it felt the same.Imo if you want to keep it
standard go for the v5 (sounds much better) else go for the turbo the
choice can only be yours

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good points in this topic...however, I would also like to say that the 1.8T Golf GTI is the most saught after Golf model (confirmed in various car mags), and thus will be slightly more attractive when it comes to selling it.

...also one of the big factors.....the 1.8T wears a GTI badge.

(LOL I know theres not alot in it...but hey, shes still a GTI!)

Whereas the V5 to me will always be a DVLA document! [;)]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for your help everyone :)

Will have to get behind the wheel of both of them before i make a decision

·
Registered
191 Posts
It might just be me, but I never really understood
the point of getting a 180bhp over a 150bhp... unless you're going to
keep it standard. If you're going to mod it then you're going to be
getting a remap... and they both remap to the same level as its same
engine and same turbo. The only difference is the 6 speed box? Which
could actually be seen as a downside as more gearchanges = more lost
time.

Just my 2p.
The turbo is the K03s and not the K03, so it is a different turbo, and
like the post above, 312mm front brakes, and as you sid the 6 speed
box. There's probably a few more differences that not alot know about.

I think the 180 will map a bit higher than the 150 model.

The 180 will fetch more when re-selling than the 150 too.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Just my 2p.
The turbo is the K03s and not the K03, so it is a different turbo, and like the post above, 312mm front brakes, and as you sid the 6 speed box. There's probably a few more differences that not alot know about.

I think the 180 will map a bit higher than the 150 model.

The 180 will fetch more when re-selling than the 150 too.
Not on the later 150's as mine is a KO3S also... they map to the same... from the factory they only differ in the ECU 150's run 0.6 bar and the 180's run 0.8 bar of boost.

The only difference between the two is a 6-speed box and larger brakes...

·
Registered
447 Posts
As Geeba said, I have an AUM which is the exact same engine and turbo.

However... can someone please explain something to me. I have in front of me the Mk4 Golf catalogue for MY04, it has the following information...

GTI 1.8T 180ps
Unladen weight incl. driver - 2842lbs / 1289kg
Gross vehicle weight - 3859lbs / 1750kg

GTI 1.8T 150ps
Unladen weight incl. driver - 2928lbs / 1328kg
Gross vehicle weight - 3815lbs / 1730kg

I don't get it.

·
Registered
191 Posts

However... can someone please explain something to me. I have in
front of me the Mk4 Golf catalogue for MY04, it has the following
information...

GTI 1.8T 180ps

GTI 1.8T 150ps

I don't get it.
Ok. So your 150 is the same engine as the 180. My 180 is the AUQ. So whats the difference between an AUM and AUQ?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Ok. So your 150 is the same engine as the 180. My 180 is the AUQ. So whats the difference between an AUM and AUQ?
The only difference is a slight difference to the mapping. Hense when you remap a 150 AUM the results are the same as the 180 AUQ

·
Registered
8 Posts

However... can someone please explain something to me. I have in
front of me the Mk4 Golf catalogue for MY04, it has the following
information...

GTI 1.8T 180ps

GTI 1.8T 150ps

I don't get it.
maybe its just an overweight driver?

(sorry!)