Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these new TDIs really that rapid?? [*-)]

Came up behind one this morning on a dual carriageway. Both put are foot down at around 90mph and he pulled away from me and kept at least two car lenghts right up to 120-130mph.

We then came to a roundabout. He was to my side and the traffic in front of me cleared before his did. So off I went not really pushing it. Moments later I see this mk5 in my rear view mirror again closing down on me. Next thing he's on my bumper. Traffic cleared and we were off again but I couldn't shake him off. I then pulled over only for him too come pass me quite easy.

I did notice as he passed me he changed up a gear but surely at 80-85mph changing down won't have any effect on a TDI surely. Which is why I stayed in 5th gear.

To add insult to injury he had one hand on his mobile whilst he did all this to me [:(]

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had one as a courtesy car for the day, when it's badged 2.0 TDI its the GT TDI model, 140PS 236 lbs.ft / 320 Nm PD engine, MKV chasis.

Was most likely the torque that made it look easy passing you at those speeds

It certainly flew when I floored it, i'm only used to 90bhp, but even so it felt like I could tangle with most things on the road.

I've heard rumblings of a more powerfull TDI engine coming out soon also

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Yep they are quick but at 120, he'd be running out of steam. I had mine superchipped yesterday and now it really flies - its so smooth that you would almost swear it was standard - til you look at the speedo - the speed just piles on . Came back down the M40 at 85-90 ( with bursts above that ) and still got 43.2mpg[:D]

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was only at 120 that I started to claw some distance back.

Maybe I'm going to have to bite the bullit at get a remap.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
most cars will show that on the speedo, they are going faster than they are really going. I suspect that the 90 will show just over 120 flat out on the speedo ? My new "chipped" top speed in 133mph but I guess the speedo will show it as 140 - will have to go to Germany to see what the GPS states[:D]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
bhp for bhp petrol and diesel will be evenly matched even though it cant rev as high the gearing will be matched for its power band, the 150bhp 1.8T has the same top speed as a PD150. the PD140 has 10bhp less than you that would probably reflect when you said you were clawing some distance back at high speed. it was probably the huge torque that made him able to pass,

·
Registered
476 Posts
most cars will show that on the speedo, they are going faster than they are really going. I suspect that the 90 will show just over 120 flat out on the speedo ? My new "chipped" top speed in 133mph but I guess the speedo will show it as 140 - will have to go to Germany to see what the GPS states[:D]
This seems to be the way. I got flashed (camera, we're talking unfotunately) around 6 months back at what was 100mph on speedo. I was kaking it for over 1 week incase it came through as a ban/court job[:'(]. It came in quite a few mph less and they gave me 3points. I was surprised it wasn't more than 3 points tbh, but never got round to querying it, funnily enough. When the camera flashes bright (this was about midnight up in Perthshire), you look at the speedo and see 100 and think - oh dear. (Or similar, 'brown moment' phrases)

I have had my car to it's top speed on a private motorway that we own and it was almost 10mph more than stated in the book. You should all try it tonight and see what yours shows......post the results on Monday?[^o)][:D]

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yep they are quick but at 120, he'd be running out of steam. I had mine superchipped yesterday and now it really flies - its so smooth that you would almost swear it was standard - til you look at the speedo - the speed just piles on . Came back down the M40 at 85-90 ( with bursts above that ) and still got 43.2mpg[:D]
What do you reckon on the re map well worth the money id say..Also the golf mkv might av been chipped

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
its spooky really - I got back in the car ( after having puncture no2 of the week [:'(]) and thought - "its rubbish, not worth it"..then it dawned on me that it was because the increase in power is so smooth that you don't really notice it. There is definately more power - its raining at the moment and i've just been out - the car span up all through 1st and all through 2nd ( didn't welly it in 3rd as was in a 40 )..it didn't do this b4 yesterday.

Good I think but have only done 250 miles - most of which have been on the m'way

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thats the beauty of the superchips remap, its very subtle. I too thought there was no massive difference when I had my 140PD until you frequent familiar roads and take a look at the speedo, also had my power gain confirmed at 2 different rolling roads - from 153bhp to 180bhp. IMO turns a good car into a great car, loadsa performance on a budget [;)]

Chipped would have thought the 2.0TDI would have no problem beating a standard 150bhp 1.8T, if the petrol motor was also remapped well thats another story......

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't think it was chipped because from the look of the guy driver it was a company car if that sort of makes sense.

·
Registered
779 Posts
That could be me by day or any number of people on here i use my car for business.. as well as pleasure...[Y]..Just get ye car remapped am sure you wont regret it..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Mart - if that's your car in your avatar and it's bog standard at the moment, then don't forget, your 18" alloys (it looks that size anyway) will slow you down because of increased unsprung weight. The rolling radius may also have increased slightly too (it would if you have 225/40/18 as opposed to 205/55/16 tyres) which also slows you down. If you had the normal 16" alloys back on then you might be able to close the gap a little but as already stated here, his superior torque will have him passing you whilst accelerating through the gears. As for him holding a mobile phone, I mean what a div! I deplore people who do that because it really is a danger to other people when the user is concentrating on holding the phone and speaking.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
"Never underestimate the Dark side"

Those new mk5 TDI company car drivers do think they have something special under the bonnet, I guess its all those years of driving a Mondeo/vectra thats done it, & now they have a car with some grunt they have to prove it to every car on the road.

I've had a few up my tail a few times, but not for long [H]

I would advise anybody with a TDI to get it remapped, it really is amazing what it does to your car. I had my remap back in March, & have done almost 20k since,with no problems, & I run on the variable service plan... just keep your eye on the oil level & you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts