Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen these 2 golf gti's and im not sure which one to go for. from what i hear the 1.8t is much better car but which of these to cars is the better value.

golf gti 1.8t golf gti 2.0

40'000 miles 62,000

1999T 2001X

5dr 3rd

5 previous owners which is 2 prev onwners

a hell of lot. 6.5k

In the 1.8t everything standard while the 2.0 has alot of mods such as sports exhaust, roof spoiler, 19in rs4 alloys ?400 alamn system i.e the car can be started from the key and it is also linked to the windows, the car has also had the front grill done and has sub in the boot. both cars are in good condition the 1.8t has some minior damage round one of the door arches while 2.0 has some cosmetic damage in the interior near the gear box. im not really that bothered about mods but do they really add much value to the car. and as for the 1.8t it has had 5 prev onwers which is alot does decrease the value the AA said it makes no difference to the value of the car.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
How old are you and how big is your insurance wallet!!???

That was my deciding factor to get the 2.0....

If I was to buy a new car right now I would exchange for the 1.8t, but I have had it a year - a S3 or R32 or Anni TDI awaits next methinks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my first post came out a bit screwed the 1.8t is a 1999T with 40,000 miles and 5 owners while the 2.0 is a 2001X with 62,000 miles and 2 ownwers. im only 22 but have 5 yrs no claims insurance on the 1.8t is about ?1150 with no claims protected. while on 2.0 with all mods is about ?800. both cars are 6.5k

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Your in exactly the same position I was in last year. I went for the 2.0 in the end, 1k on insurance is just too much.

Tough choice, no mistake about it

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pick 1.8T.That magic word.........TURBO........ mmmmmmmmmmm [:)]

Considerations which would be going through my head...

1) as stated already how bigs your wallett ? personnally my insurance quote was not much different between the two.

2) If its power your after.... You cant really give a 2.0 any real form of power "mod". On the 1.8T T plate, it will have the K03 turbo on it and will see nearly 200bhp after some tinkering with the management..

Anyway im totally biased cuz ive got turbo and I LOVE it

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Find out who the owners are and it may make sense.... it could well have been a pool car at a dealership or garage etc. Mine had 4 previous owners..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
both cars silver but the 1.8t is a 5dr while the 2.0 is a 3dr. i am leaning towards 1.8t. a lot of repiles seem to focus on insurance being the deciding factor but the 2.0 is 2 yrs newer but has higher milage and is a lower model. but the 1.8t has had 5 prev onwners so when i come round to sell it the propective buyer would be the 7th owner im worried this could scare people off and damage the cars value.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Well then, don't just set your sights on these 2 cars.. There are plenty more out there my friend :)

Decide on the car you want first, they go and find what you want.

Sounds like your sold on the 1.8t, DO IT :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
yer defo 1.8T if insurance isn't an issue but i'd shop around more there are plenty about on autotrader and be prepared to travel for the right car[^]

·
Registered
186 Posts
MOve on: 5 owners = dodgy. Ready modded car - possibly had the life kicked out of it... There must be some straight metal out there?!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the only reason i am interseted in this car is because of it milage 40,000 is very low for 1999T most of the cars that about this age seem to have 80,000-100,000 miles on the clock. so it seems a trade off between a car with 5 ownwers and low milage and cars with fewer ownwers and high milage. i suppose u cant have all at 6.5k.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts