Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting another Mk4 but what is the best, I currently have a Mk 3 8v, which is slow, previously I had a 130 TDI (was crashed into so it had to go) which was ok exept top end was only so,so and it did not like corners. I have got about 7/8K to spend so could get 1.8T or V5 or even a V6 4mo. What is the best and how bad are the V5 and V6 on fuel?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I had a V6 4mo for a couple of years, motorway economy wasnt too bad, but drive it hard (of course!) and you pay in fuel 250-300 miles out of a tank!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The V5 and V6 arent bad on fuel at all, not as bad as people make out. I dare say they are both better or equivalent to my 180 1.8T!

Did the 130PD you had have the sports pack? If it did, neither of those three will be an improvement, except the 4mo which will have the extra traction, but not the extra poise the car needs.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
V6 is not bad on petrol (don't believe the hype) I can get 34mpg on my daily 30 mile trip to work! of course if you do the martial arts move known as "right foot flex on pedal" then you'll be lucky to get 15 mpg!!

I had a Revo'd 1.8T and the V6 feels more responsive and a tad quicker!! BUT I didn't have the setups and/or other engine mods done that 75% of the members on here have on their GTI's. Take that into account and the 1.8T is much quicker, lighter and can handle just as good!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If your after large bhp after modding then go with the 1.8t. You should get on well in budget and won't be disappointed. fuel ecomony is around 26-34mpg depending on your driving style

Personally i'm not impressed with the V5, but the 4mo is a beautiful drive. Don't know if you would get one in your budget though

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
There is an interesting (and very long) 1.8T vs V6 24v thread here on VW Vortex. Bare in mind American 24v V6s dont have AWD and sift through a fair few 16 year olds mouthing off and you will find a pretty even argument for both cars in there. The V5 tends to get neglected but is also a decent engine; I was put off because it was the same on fuel as the V6, but lacked the level of grunt and noise. However due to the 1.8Ts popularity they tend to be real bargains.

Depends on what you want from the car really?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 07/03/2005 21:54:56

There is an interesting (and very long) 1.8T vs V6 24v thread here on VW Vortex. Bare in mind American 24v V6s dont have AWD and sift through a fair few 16 year olds mouthing off and you will find a pretty even argument for both cars in there.

Just got to the bottom of the second page and phew!! thats enough! [:O]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote: posted by ONeill on 07/03/2005 21:53:27

I only get about 18 - 21 (22 max out of mine)

There's probably something wrong with it then?

·
Registered
185 Posts
my V6 averages around 22-23mpg, with mainly stop start journeys to work etc. I have seen 30mpg on a long steady journey though. like everyone says the harder you drive it the worse it gets. depending on what you are looking for the v6 is a lot smoother and relaxed than the turbo, but a modded turbo will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my 2.0 8v MK3 averages around 28mpg. on local journeys and up 38 ish on a run. The car would only be for my wife as I now have a company car so it will only be doing 50/75 mile a week. I am more interested in what the real world driving is like. I would not be into tuning the 1.8T so the V6 might be the better buy? I just need some thing to have an intrest in at the weekend after driving a boring box all week. Thanx for the replys though....Richy

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Richy777 on 08/03/2005 15:02:26

I just need some thing to have an intrest in at the weekend after driving a boring box all week. Thanx for the replys though....Richy

If you want interesting, I have to say go with the V6 - the noise and pick up is just fantastic...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 08/03/2005 15:56:37

I just need some thing to have an intrest in at the weekend after driving a boring box all week. Thanx for the replys though....Richy

If you want interesting, I have to say go with the V6 - the noise and pick up is just fantastic...

[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Deadlock on 08/03/2005 16:10:49

Quote: posted by Mikedav on 08/03/2005 15:56:37

[:D][:D][:D]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] agreed whole heartedly. As a standard package the 4mo is probably the best value for money... and smoooth[:D]

·
Registered
628 Posts
if your not modding v6 it has to be.the v6 is a firm but smooth pull all the way to the red line.it is very quiet in general but has a nice roar when you want it to.

they look pretty understated as standard so visually theres still quite a bit you can do to personalize it(tints and 18's will make it look sooo different).

all i can recomend really is try and get a car with as many optional extras allready fitted as there probably won't be much difference in price but it'll save time and hassle.

can't comment on any other mk4 but i would like a drive in a chipped 20v turbo and pd150,any offers?anyone?

i would have test drove other mk4's but i thought i would save some time and get the v6 anyway,but thats just because i always wanted one.

btw if you do plump for the v6 you'll be taking the scenic route everywhere you go(you'll even be asking strangers if you can go to the shop for them!)so your milage will be higher than you expect.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts