Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just sold my tdi and i've bought an agu 1.8T, Could anyone give me some advice on tuning the engine? I've booked it in to have it remapped but thats pretty much all i know that will give you bhp gains. Thanks in advance Dan

·
Registered
80 Posts
hi mate i have a agu i got mine remaped buy chipped uk they did a good job. i also have a jabba induction kit and a powerflow side exit exhaust which i will be selling soon apart from that it should be runnin about 200+ bhp when i get a new maf  hope this is any help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Daniel,

be very very careful of where you get your remap done. You ideally want a live remap and not some crap generic remap thrown into your ECU which are very well known to just cause overfuelling. Try to leave the remap till last after you've added all the bits you want and get a remap which is specific to your car. You'll get maximum gains this way.

And just to point out, a live remap, a real one, will take around 2-4 hours to complete.

As for other engine tuning there is the obvious Induction upgrades (of which most make no difference at all), exhaust upgrades and change the cams.

If you want to get the best out of an induction upgrade be prepared to do some research work. You'll need a few metering devices to measure the intake air temperatures and you need to experiment with cold air feeds.

You could then go bigger turbo charger, better exhaust manifold, lighter pulleys etc etc.......how deep is your wallet?

One of the best exhausts on the market are supersprint and Milltek. I believe there are some fantastic offers around at the moment for Supersprint.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the info, i'll be getting the remap done by westec, they remapped my tdi last year seemed like a good group of lads, anything over 200bhp and i'll be happy really.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Remap companies are popping up everywhere! Soon, corner shops will be selling remaps when you go to buy a packet of ****.

Do your induction and exhaust mods before the remap dude, it will make a significant difference on an FI car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any recomendations for a suitable induction kit and exhaust? should i be looking for a full system or cat back etc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Exhaust - Milltek and Supersprint are the ones to go for really. Both are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. They both do a range of different configurations. Supersprint is on offer right now from XS Performance with a massive 20% off for the next 10 days.

As for induction the BMC Carbon Airbox is not a bad design and very easy to fit. Try to stay away from the gimmicky stuff from the more mainstream companies. Beyond that there is ITG - this is not a straight forward job as a kit will be need to be made for you. It all depends on how good the stock airbox setup is as to wether your going to see any decent gains.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had a brief look at their products and I'm not too impressed to be honest.

The intake systems for example - It's just a K&N with a big long Carbon Fibre intake.

The basic idea is pretty good but changing the length of the inlet track to that extent is going to change the torque curve considerably.

I would say stay clear.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi

Yes they are good.

We have sold loads of these with some great results.

We tend to have these in stock , but we are waiting for our delivery at the moment and we have 22 on order but 5 are saved.

That is how popular these are

Sarah

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just because something is popular doesnt mean its any good. Lots of people buy Mongoose exhausts but its the worst thing you can do to your car.

Have you physically tested them against the other brands?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Just because something is popular doesnt mean its any good. Lots of people buy Mongoose exhausts but its the worst thing you can do to your car.

Have you physically tested them against the other brands?
Hi

Well if you look I do not come on here and force feed people rubbish.

I have been on this forum for a while now offering advice and telling people that just because I dont have a brand on MY car that the rest are rubbish.

The Carbonio has been tested on an independant rolling road on a Mk4 R32 and it gained 15bhp at the wheels.

The Carbon that is on the car is of the highest quality and it looks as good as it performs.It is not there just for looks either it is there to keep the heat out.

I have NEVER in my life heard anything that is as nice as these either , the downside.....

Have not come accross one yet

BMC....Yes they are good too.

Sarah

Sarah

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have NEVER in my life heard anything that is as nice as these either , the downside.....

Hang on..... you sell loads of these? Have never heard anything better? But also have never come across one yet?

I am very interested in buying one form you soon but thats just confused the cr*p outa me! [:|]

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Think you will see that I have not come across a downside on this Carbonio.

They look good , sound good and they are good with the performance.

Throttle response will improve too.

Fantastic peice of kit.

Sarah

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sarah,

I appreciate the way you work but I have to ask the question as to why its better.

The Carbon thing is not very convincing. The carbon is not going to lower the intake temps enough over the standard airbox setup to see a noticeable difference in performance. Even if the rubber/plastic pipes did get hot they wouldnt radiate any heat into air passing through them at quite high velocities. When the car is standing still maybe you'd get some heat radiation as the air velocity is quite low - but then who wants max power in traffic???
and the actual filter is not one that I'd want on my car. As mentioned before the inlet track is massively increased in length and this will have effects on the power band of the car.
Alot of people think car tuning is just about bolting this and that one whereas its normally a little more complicated than that.

I;d like to see some evidence of this 15bhp gain at the wheels from just an exhaust. It would imply that the VW system is very badly designed and is in some way extremely restrictive. On a turbo car I would maybe believe it but not an NA car.

As for noise - everyone has their personal tastes, what you like I might hate.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Hang on..... you sell loads of these? Have never heard anything better? But also have never come across one yet?

I am very interested in buying one form you soon but thats just confused the cr*p outa me! [:|]
Hahaha just read that back. was having a mad 5 mins. compleatly understand it now! [:$]

So youve not come across a downside, thats good.

Cyrus38. If you do a search on the forum youl find that alot of people like this bit of kit.

BUT....

Its been found that if you do the D.I.Y cold air feed and modify your airbox you can get better and cooler airflow at a fraction of the price. Theres MAF readings on vwvortex to prove this.

BUT... lol

I love the look of the carbonio, matched with a carbon engine cover and a few polished bits and youve got a very neat engine bay!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is exactly what the mini guys do. They use the standard airbox and use an ITG filter.

Alot of it is down to the ITG filter as it has an inbuilt trumpet. Most of the induction kits out there lose the airbox trumpets (including the BMC). Ever wondered why most manufacturers and race teams use trumpets?

I'll let the readers do the research on that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts